Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a lot of fun off road with my 2020 ATAS DCT, perhaps too much fun. The clutch is slipping at 8,000klms. Hands up, I abuse this bike. I just love taking the big beast places it was never intended to go and I fully understand there’s a price - clutch plates. So, my question is does anyone know if it’s possible to upgrade the plates in the DCT for heavy duty off road ones like you would in a manual bike. The parts manual shows the DCT has 2 x 'clutch assemblies' and the service manual shows these assemblies to contain the clutch plates. Instructions are included to check that the plates are set up correctly within the assemblies but it also says not to remove the plates. The bike is currently with the Honda dealer who have admitted they have never taken a DCT apart before so just wondering if anyone with DCT experience or technical expertise can offer any insights?

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
This will be an interesting journey to follow @AJC. o_O

I would like to welcome you to the Forum. Hopefully we can all learn something from this uncommon maintenance challenge.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
270 Posts
I have been having a lot of fun off road with my 2020 ATAS DCT, perhaps too much fun. The clutch is slipping at 8,000klms. Hands up, I abuse this bike. I just love taking the big beast places it was never intended to go and I fully understand there’s a price - clutch plates. So, my question is does anyone know if it’s possible to upgrade the plates in the DCT for heavy duty off road ones like you would in a manual bike. The parts manual shows the DCT has 2 x 'clutch assemblies' and the service manual shows these assemblies to contain the clutch plates. Instructions are included to check that the plates are set up correctly within the assemblies but it also says not to remove the plates. The bike is currently with the Honda dealer who have admitted they have never taken a DCT apart before so just wondering if anyone with DCT experience or technical expertise can offer any insights?
To my knowledge: if you use any high tech oil like Castrol GTX with low frictions Additives
the Cluch on a bike with DCT or wet Centrifugal Clutch will slip and get worn out shortly.

See page 199 in the owners manual

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
Have you let the dct re-learn, i've heard talk here but don't know the procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike still has all factory fluids (or did have when the problem started) so the cause is still an unknown but I wasnt aware of that and will heed the warning when topping up in future. Thanks for the heads up

To my knowledge: if you use any high tech oil like Castrol GTX with low frictions Additives
the Cluch on a bike with DCT or wet Centrifugal Clutch will slip and get worn out shortly.

View attachment 61945
See page 199 in the owners manual

View attachment 61944

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you let the dct re-learn, i've heard talk here but don't know the procedure.
Initially I did consider this option but on reflection I thought this might rectify the problem without establishing the cause and as the bike still has a few months warranty left I thought it might be better to get the dealer to open it up and check it out before relearning so I will be doing this but a little later in the process. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Change the oil and filters, relearn it and get on with life. I doubt burnt clutches would be warranty anyway. Your own post tells me that you understand this, abuse is not warranty.

You are asking for trouble when you start trying to fix things that aren't really broken.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
The bike still has all factory fluids (or did have when the problem started) so the cause is still an unknown but I wasnt aware of that and will heed the warning when topping up in future. Thanks for the heads up
how many miles do the bike have
here a Honda only have the oil from the factory for about 1000 km first service ❓

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many miles do the bike have
here a Honda only have the oil from the factory for about 1000 km first service ❓
OK fair point but you would hope the dealer put the correct oils in at 1000k service

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
OK fair point but you would hope the dealer put the correct oils in at 10000 km service
i am to do my 1000k = 10000km service this month and use
4 liter Motul 5100 10w40 5100 4T 10W-40 - Motul @1000k service you do not have to change the Cluch filter only the engine oilfilter
i think it is important not to overfill 4,2 l when you change the DCT oilfilter.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
You are supposed to change the dct filter at first service, then skip the next 1

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Some members change the clutch oil (and engine) filter with the engine oil every time. I suppose it depends on your sensitivity to more landfill toxic waste.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
In March I changed both engine and clutch filters. According to Honda I didn't need to. However, I am glad I did change the clutch oil filter because it almost looked like the dealership service did not. It appeared quite polluted (dark grey to black with some trashy particles).

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
In March I changed both engine and clutch filters. According to Honda I didn't need to. However, I am glad I did change the clutch oil filter because it almost looked like the dealership service did not. It appeared quite polluted (dark grey to black with some trashy particles).
on XADV and NCX DCT honda recommend to change both filters every oil change

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
At 650 miles mine looked brand new on the dct filter, wasted $6. lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
i am to do my 1000k 10000km service this month and use
4 liter Motul 5100 10w40 5100 4T 10W-40 - Motul @1000k service you do not have to change the Cluch filter only the engine oilfilter
i think it is important not to overfill 4,2 l when you change the DCT oilfilter.
i am to do my 1000k = 10000km service this month and use
It is my understanding the DCT filter is changed when the engine filter is changed. Once the first oil change is completed and you are into the normal routine Honda recommends changing the filters every other oil change. It goes against everything I was taught but Honda designed and built the bike. As Double Thumper mentioned, new filters every other oil change does cut down on hazardous waste and reduces costs a bit. There may be something to it. Someone I knew decades ago never changed the oil in his car from the time it was new. Every time he reached the recommended oil change interval he would replace the oil filter and top of the oil from a new bottle. The last time I saw the car it had around 70,000 miles on the odometer and ran like a clock. All other scheduled maintenance was performed as recommended. I wouldn't consider buying his car when he was done with it. However it might have been interesting to do a tear down on the engine and see how good or bad it was after all that time.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
... I wouldn't consider buying his car when he was done with it. However it might have been interesting to do a tear down on the engine and see how good or bad it was after all that time.
lol - maybe there is a way the cage engine can be torn down and the answer is found?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts