Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have put my AT DCT into manual mode and changed gear for every one of my 25,000 miles. I just have used my thumb and fore finger instead of pulling a lever and have my foot go up and down!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please see a previous comment from me on this, I would add that I don't commute as that might make change my thinking.

Perfection is when there is nothing more to take away, not when there is nothing more to add!

A long career in the UK motor industry taught me a lot about automated manual transmissions, both single and double clutch variants. When the technology worked there is nothing to touch them, when they go wrong however the water is always deeper than with the manual transmission. The Germans used to advocate that DCT' transmissions never drank too much or had a row with their wives or girlfriends or both. The only downside was the transmission couldn't see up the road. A read through the DCT section of the shop manual gives some perspective. I do trust Honda but know they won't care about little old me when my trousers are around my ankles, I am also wary of dealership support on protracted electronic issues.

I went manual but I miss the benefits of the fantastic DCT, the only possible benefit being the simplicity of fixing the manual bike further down the road.

Don't listen to an old sod like me, follow your heart and get what you want!

·
Registered
28 Posts
BE CAREFUL in reading all these OPINIONS on DCT or Manual

Once you ride a DCT bike you will Never go back to manual It is DCT all the way
Sorry but thats the Truth

Its buttery smooth and tested through & through Its that good

Birdman

Watch the other brands try to play catch up :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well I got the DCT I'm 225 miles into a 1400 mile ride home! So far the DCT is amazing. Just still learning all the buttons and what not but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. The transmission is super smooth!!! Will report back in a coupe days to let everyone know my thoughts after a ride home. Thanks for all the responses everyone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The good news is there is no wrong answer!

I got the DCT because today's adventure bikes are heavy and it's a real struggle for me to pick them up but I love riding off-road. So I can spend all my focus on picking a good line and not have to struggle with downshifting from a standing position while wearing heavy boots.

Very low speed maneuvers are more difficult with the DCT - if this is important to you it's a check in the minus column. Similarly I don't think bump-starting is an option. But clicking instantly through the gears at max throttle is so much fun :)

Enjoy your new ride!

Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
The DCT is amazing right up until when it's not. Like all technology, we decide how much to have in our lives. The reason I deprived myself from the benefit was to deprive myself of potential challenges further down the road when the undocumented features start to appear. Hopefully that will be never for all DCT owners.

I love my AT and say buy what you like and like what you buy!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My DCT has...

Never missed a shift

Never shifted down when it meant to shift up

Never got lazy and ground the gears

Never banged into the next gear without the clutch

Never tried to shift into 7th gear

Never shifted into a false neutral

Never had trouble finding neutral at a stop light

Never tried to take off in 2nd

Never stalled by being lazy with the clutch

I could go on...

The human operator of my other motorcycles has done all these things. Usually several on every ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with ProCycle on this, the DCT knows better than i ever will, especially when it's tight steep and grip isn't great. I'm quite a fan of mine. Done a mixture of road and off road in the last 12 months/10k klms.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the manual transmission is fine for people with skills, but for the rest of us . . .
DCT is controlled by a computer that is better at controlling the transmission than I am.

During a trip this year I did some offroading that wasn't too tough for the big & heavy Africa Twin, but it did have some occasional tricky bits. On a creek crossing I didn't balls up the throttle/clutch balance, stalling the bike and causing me to drop it - because the DCT system handled the transmission while I just concentrated on steadily motoring through. On a very steep uphill gravel track I just gently motored up with the DCT in charge of gears and the traction control ensuring that I wasn't just spinning the rear wheel with no forward motion. On a steep downhill gravel track (same track, what goes up must come down) using S3 for keeping in lower gears and jabbing the downshift button with my thumb when needed - I carefully rode down keeping good control.

A friend was following behind on a DR650, he did OK but said it was pretty hair raising. I didn't find it too stressful, thanks to the ABS, traction control & DCT all working hard to make up for my lack of skill!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the manual transmission is fine for people with skills, but for the rest of us . . .
DCT is controlled by a computer that is better at controlling the transmission than I am.

During a trip this year I did some offroading that wasn't too tough for the big & heavy Africa Twin, but it did have some occasional tricky bits. On a creek crossing I didn't balls up the throttle/clutch balance, stalling the bike and causing me to drop it - because the DCT system handled the transmission while I just concentrated on steadily motoring through. On a very steep uphill gravel track I just gently motored up with the DCT in charge of gears and the traction control ensuring that I wasn't just spinning the rear wheel with no forward motion. On a steep downhill gravel track (same track, what goes up must come down) using S3 for keeping in lower gears and jabbing the downshift button with my thumb when needed - I carefully rode down keeping good control.

A friend was following behind on a DR650, he did OK but said it was pretty hair raising. I didn't find it too stressful, thanks to the ABS, traction control & DCT all working hard to make up for my lack of skill!
Amen!!!!
You could not have explained it better.
I am 63 and not getting stronger every day. Thanks to DCT I can reach places I could not dream of in a descent, easy and trusty ride.
Long live DCT!!

·
Registered
124 Posts

Sorry i am confused. The bike stalled due to clutch/throttle mistake but you were doing fine due to the DCT. These were two separate trips i guess. Sorry just dont get it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
He said he DIDN'T make a balls-up (by stalling the bike).

I don't ride off-road, so what do I know, but all the guys who moan about the DCT seem to be worried about not having clutch control to modulate the power to the ground in the slow bits. The DCT clutches are not toggles: they slip at low speeds. The engine will never die, so you don't have to worry about letting the rpm drop. If you can modulate the throttle so as to get JUST enough power to pull through whatever you're in, then you won't have so much power as to blow away the traction. Or so it seems to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not true

BE CAREFUL in reading all these OPINIONS on DCT or Manual

Once you ride a DCT bike you will Never go back to manual It is DCT all the way
Sorry but thats the Truth

Its buttery smooth and tested through & through Its that good

Birdman

Watch the other brands try to play catch up :)
I tried DCT and whilst I could see the benefits, I didn't like it so went for manual and am very happy with it

One thing I will mention is that there seem to be more secondhand DCT bikes for sale than manual (in England)

There could be many reasons for this, would be interested to know why from anyone who has traded their AT DCT in

Like everything in life it is personal choice and it is always best to try both

I once asked a trusted bike salesman why there were so many nearly new bikes in the showroom
His reply amazed me, "They don't try the bikes before purchase"

Really?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got home from a 4 day ride with a buddy - we both have riden dirt bikes for years and he talked me into getting the DCT like he did... man, it's so sweet off road! We did about 800 miles, 200 of those were dirt trails (the GDR section near Lewis & Clark trail Idaho). I'm glad I got the DCT!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I relocated the rear brake of my AT DCT from the right foot to the left side of the handlebar, just like an scooter, and placed the park brake on the right hand side of my crash bar.
Now I can use the rear brake with my left hand to "modulate" the throtle on the triky low speed manouvers and works out great.
Besides, you can use both of your feet down on the ground at the same time.
I highly recomend this modification. It provides great confidence in dificult manouvers.
My two cents!!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts