Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
A Honda rep at the NEC show said that the parking brake was "out of comfortable reach" so people transitioning from a regular manual to a DCT wouldn't slide down the road if they forgot they didn't have a clutch. A bit like the first time you drive an automatic car after using manuals for years and skid to a halt when you go to change gear...

So I guess they aren't expecting people to use it when in motion. I wonder if the parking brake has different pads that might not like being regularly used...who knows?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A Honda rep at the NEC show said that the parking brake was "out of comfortable reach" so people transitioning from a regular manual to a DCT wouldn't slide down the road if they forgot they didn't have a clutch. A bit like the first time you drive an automatic car after using manuals for years and skid to a halt when you go to change gear...

So I guess they aren't expecting people to use it when in motion. I wonder if the parking brake has different pads that might not like being regularly used...who knows?!
On some pictured is looks like the parking break piston connects directly to the brake cable. I guess this is to save weight but I doubt it has any more stopping power than required by a handbrake.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Seems like it's a much bigger parking brake lever than on other Honda DCT bikes, which is odd as I would say this one is more likely to be dropped than the others due to the likelihood of it being taken off road!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Still looks like it's a bent/broken lever waiting to happen in a drop if you ask me... I wonder why they changed the design from the other DCT bikes. I guess if it does break on a trip then it's not essential to get it fixed before you get home... just don't park on a hill.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now I'm wondering if it is possible to put a proper rear brake lever on there...

·
Registered
391 Posts
AT Easter Egg?

Little known fact, not even mentioned in the owner manual.
The parking lever has four lock positions.
Each click is stronger than the previous position in succession.
Just squeeze harder and lock in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts