Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up a new crf1100 dct today and had major problems within 2 miles, brake's failing, abs light on, traction control light on, engine management light on and then the dct not changing gears correctly and then becoming stuck in 2nd and me having to take it back to the dealers tonight in a van.

Has anyone else had such a mix up of failures on a new bike? anyone shed any light?

Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here's a good read while you wait :)

Reactions: longjohn

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
Sounds like something electrical-related for sure.

It would be a down-right drag if it was the battery. I hope it is not. It could be the bike's long term Achilles heel.

Too much "parasitic" load on the battery when parked?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi,

I picked up a new crf1100 dct today and had major problems within 2 miles, brake's failing, abs light on, traction control light on, engine management light on and then the dct not changing gears correctly and then becoming stuck in 2nd and me having to take it back to the dealers tonight in a van.

Has anyone else had such a mix up of failures on a new bike? anyone shed any light?

Thanks
From your description, it sounds a lot like they put on the front wheel reversed- typical dealer prep oversight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From your description, it sounds a lot like they put on the front wheel reversed- typical dealer prep oversight.
This is the only pic I have when I put it in my van, the tyre is the right way but can't see the abs ring.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Take a look. At your battery connections. When I picked up my new AT dct last November I had a similar experience after about 50 miles. The problem was the dealership had not installed the battery cable to the battery. The cable was just being pushed against the battery connection by the battery cover and held tight enough against the battery to make a connection for a short time.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
Here’s hoping it’s just a quick fix and a apology from your dealer for assembling your bike wrong

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here is a photo of mine that shows how it should look from the same angle:
Can you spot the difference?
FYI
My dealer experience has not been that great either.
One thing I do like, is that they admit their mistake when I point out what they did wrong or did not do.
But hearing reports of dealer techs that lie and talk nonsense is what I find hard to swallow.
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Wheel

·
Registered
174 Posts
DCTFAN's has the much-needed ABS ring on the left side of the hub. Nice catch!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Honda have returned the bike all fixed and are saying it was an abs sensor so all good now fingers crossed.
Now that you have an idea how well they prepped the bike, I'd check the following:
Engine oil level- follow the owners manual on how to use the dipstick.
  • Redo the front axle bolts following proper sequence.
  • Make sure the battery connections are nice and tight.
  • Check if you got the owner's manual under the seat or in person
  • At a minimum you should have a screwdriver and a fuse puller in the tool box.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here’s hoping it’s just a quick fix and a apology from your dealer for assembling your bike wrong
It takes a good dealer/service manager to admit a mistake and apologize.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
It takes a good dealer/service manager to admit a mistake and apologize.
I’m guessing they don’t to often due to liability issues..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be fair this is the picture now and it’s very hard to see the ads ring on the 2020 model bike, here’s a pic from both sides

1 - 20 of 26 Posts