Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see this posted anywhere else on the site.....

September 1, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V662000
Engine Stall or Loss of Drive from Software Error
An engine stall or a loss of drive power can increase the risk of a crash or injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V662000
Manufacturer Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,561
Summary
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2020-2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin motorcycles equipped with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT). A software error in the engine control unit (ECU), may disconnect the controller area network (CAN) communication and release the clutch, which can result in an engine stall or a loss of drive power.
Remedy
Dealers will update the ECU software, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed October 31, 2022. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-866-784-1870. Honda's number for this recall is KNB.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,422 Posts
It has been mentioned and a few have already had it done but the information you have provided is much more detailed. It may be of interest to @Paul-S as it seems to be exactly what he recently experienced and might be worth showing to his dealer when he takes the AT in to be seen to especially as the recall doesn't seem to be for the UK so far.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called my local Honda dealer to get the update scheduled. Will go in for it next week.

Strangely, they said that the update is also Emissions-related (?) and will provide me with a Proof of Correction form which I will need the next time I renew my registration (California).

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just had the update done. The only thing I noticed, in terms of behavior, was a stumble when accelerating away from a stoplight on the short ride home from the dealership... It was like I gave it the throttle and nothing happened for about a half-second, and then there were a couple of loud burps from the exhaust, then it accelerated smoothly from there. Hoping it was just a fluke. (In addition, my dealer mentioned that it is possible that the ECU is going through a re-learning cycle, in terms of fueling)

·
Registered
41 Posts
key is to use VIN look up. I have a '22 but key is the manufacture date. Going to that recall page that Rwhite sent, I got nothing under my VIN nor when looking more generally at 2022 models, but the notice for 2021 popped up when I put in '21 model. So hopefully '22s are truly exempt but I would look at VIN in case someone bought a '22 bike but produced late enough in '21 to be in the recall batch based on software.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
key is to use VIN look up. I have a '22 but key is the manufacture date. Going to that recall page that Rwhite sent, I got nothing under my VIN nor when looking more generally at 2022 models, but the notice for 2021 popped up when I put in '21 model. So hopefully '22s are truly exempt but I would look at VIN in case someone bought a '22 bike but produced late enough in '21 to be in the recall batch based on software.
The Recall campaign clearly states 2020 and 2021 model years, only.

It also states that only 1,561 units were affected by the issue, so it may be isolated to one particular software revision that was being used....

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V662000
Manufacturer Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,561
Summary:
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2020-2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin motorcycles equipped with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT). A software error in the engine control unit (ECU), may disconnect the controller area network (CAN) communication and release the clutch, which can result in an engine stall or a loss of drive power.

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
Just had the update done. The only thing I noticed, in terms of behavior, was a stumble when accelerating away from a stoplight on the short ride home from the dealership... It was like I gave it the throttle and nothing happened for about a half-second, and then there were a couple of loud burps from the exhaust, then it accelerated smoothly from there. Hoping it was just a fluke.
Maybe with the update the run-time parameters of the previous configuration were reset to factory and now the bike is "re-learning" your riding behaviour and thus, rebuilding the run-time parameters.

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
478 Posts
burps from the exhaust, then it accelerated smoothly from there
It can be the ECU have also Adaptive Memory for Fuel and Related parameters.
Then, it needs a good drive cycle to Learn again basic parameter after a Update, since the Ecu is reset, and start from zero memory on these parameters again.
Next time ride a longer route to let the Ecu learn again.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealer tried to upgrade my ECU but they said the wouldn’t accept it. They have an open case with Honda… I’m going somewhere else for a second opinion.
I don't know if it's relevant to your case or not, but co-incident with the requirement for this new ECU software, my dealer determined that he had to also update the Honda service software utility that they use for performing the re-flash.

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
139 Posts
Just got my AT planned for the recall next Saturday. Because I got notified on this forum, I already knew what was coming and was already prepared to call ASAP. The dealer did not, so when I called they were like "Oooooh geez, this news has just been published 15 minutes ago! You're a quick one!" 🤣

Lets hope the bike keeps running properly for the full next week, because I'm about to ride over 1k km (commute, offroading with someone, and visit the dealer). Fingers crossed...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts