Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Only bought my Africa Twin a couple days ago, enjoying it so far other than one problem.

I saw on here the reset procedure as detailed in this thread: Could someone post the Dct reset procedure please | Honda Africa Twin Forum

So naturally I tried it, but mine is always unsuccessful, the line flashes every 2 seconds as it should then always starts flashing every 0.5 seconds after the engine has been running for a short period. I have tried 20+ times, but no luck D and S stay on all the time now. It can be ridden as is but I believe it stays in the D mode, I had been riding in S2. So not only has it failed but it seems once the process has started it has to be completed successfully. The service manual only says to try again but at this point its clear that doesn't help.

I have also tried the reset procedure but holding the throttle open before starting, no difference.

I have also tried charging the battery prior, or having it connected to a jump pack during. I have tried it on the stand, off the stand, on the center stand, no difference.

I thought the battery may be an issue as the bike sat a lot with the last owner, but the voltage reported when not running and running are both good. And the above made no difference so seems unlikely I think.

I also tried leaving the battery unconnected for a bit, but still when turned back on it was no different and continued to fail in the same way.

The first time I tried I had just been riding the bike, I read on another thread someone had the same problem as me but then was able to do it after the bike had sat over night and letting it get up to temp from cold. But for me its no different it always fails the same way.

My bike was registered in early 2017 and has ~11,400 miles, with 3 Honda services recorded.

So I thought I would make a thread in search of answers, and to help others in the same position.

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you in advance.

Phil

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
392 Posts
Was the bike fully up to temp? I haven't done mine yet at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the bike fully up to temp? I haven't done mine yet at 5000 miles.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep bike was up to temp, when it had been sat over night I had it show the big then small L before getting to temp and me trying the procedure.

As a side note just been for a ride, it seems you do have all the modes, the screen just doesn't change to tell you which your in.

Phil

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep bike was up to temp, when it had been sat over night I had it show the big then small L before getting to temp and me trying the procedure.

As a side note just been for a ride, it seems you do have all the modes, the screen just doesn't change to tell you which your in.

Phil
It was me who had success after leaving it overnight. The only thought that has since occurred to me to explain why it wouldn't work has to do with oil levels. Maybe after a hard ride the oil is in different parts of the engine than when you have just warmed it up after an overnight rest. Which makes me wonder whether the service guys have put too much oil in. My dealership has done that twice. Might be worth going through a thorough oil level check as per user manual?
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was me who had success after leaving it overnight. The only thought that has since occurred to me to explain why it wouldn't work has to do with oil levels. Maybe after a hard ride the oil is in different parts of the engine than when you have just warmed it up after an overnight rest. Which makes me wonder whether the service guys have put too much oil in. My dealership has done that twice. Might be worth going through a thorough oil level check as per user manual?
Mike
Good idea, will leave it overnight again and check the levels before I try again tomorrow.

I did a very quick check of the levels after getting it back from buying it, but will do it as per the book and report back.

Thanks.

Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry but I don't understand why you needed a reset to beguin with???
That is a good question.

I read online that it smoothed things out and the discussion seemed to say it was sensible to do periodically with no one seeming to have issues.

I would suggest people don't do it unless they feel its really needed given my experience.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Good idea, will leave it overnight again and check the levels before I try again tomorrow.

I did a very quick check of the levels after getting it back from buying it, but will do it as per the book and report back.

Thanks.

Phil
I have on occasions also found that the rhythm of the dnddn is critical. if you do it too quickly or with too long a gap it doesnt work. But I'm guessing if you have tried 20 times then you will have experimented with that variable.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have on occasions also found that the rhythm of the dnddn is critical. if you do it too quickly or with too long a gap it doesnt work. But I'm guessing if you have tried 20 times then you will have experimented with that variable.
Mike
Interesting, I have always done it very quickly as that has always got me to the step after the pattern of button presses.

I assumed you would either get to the next step (flashing - every 2 seconds) if you pressed them correctly or not if you didn't.

I will try varying the pace.

I have also realized the previous two services weren't Honda themselves, perhaps getting it booked in for a service or doing one myself and ensuring everything is correct would be sensible.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Interesting, I have always done it very quickly as that has always got me to the step after the pattern of button presses.

I assumed you would either get to the next step (flashing - every 2 seconds) if you pressed them correctly or not if you didn't.

I will try varying the pace.

I have also realized the previous two services weren't Honda themselves, perhaps getting it booked in for a service or doing one myself and ensuring everything is correct would be sensible.
well yes .... they can reset the DCT via their diagnostic tool so perhaps you could ask them to reset everything, then try the unofficial reset procedure, and if it doesn;t work they can do their diagnostic reset before they give the bike back to you. (and you are probably right about the rate of pressing and being able to go on to the next stage)
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well yes .... they can reset the DCT via their diagnostic tool so perhaps you could ask them to reset everything, then try the unofficial reset procedure, and if it doesn;t work they can do their diagnostic reset before they give the bike back to you. (and you are probably right about the rate of pressing and being able to go on to the next stage)
Mike
Yes true.

Did try varying the rate of pressing no difference still got to the next stage and still failed as per usual.

I checked the oil through the official procedure and its a bit above min, may add a touch more before resorting to taking it to the dealer.

Also have left it on charge.

Will see if tomorrow brings any luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts