Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on one particular long sweeping curve that I commute on that the DCT occasionally shifts in the middle of the turn. It is rare and I tend to ride aggressively but I would think that for safety the bike would not shift if it senses a certain lean angle. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It happens to me too...
And my S3 is feeling like S1 now, maybe its just me
I hate the feeling so I was going to call the dealership and see if there is a fix or maybe a DCT reset

·
Registered
166 Posts
It happens to me too...
And my S3 is feeling like S1 now, maybe its just me
I hate the feeling so I was going to call the dealership and see if there is a fix or maybe a DCT reset
I believe there is a reset. I know that DCTFAN knows the procedure and might chime in if you don't find it with a Google search.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There's always been a DCT reset procedure for the NC models. The problem is that there were subtle differences in the last model. In the earlier models you hadn't got to touch the throttle while you were doing it, with the 2016 model you had to hold the throttle wide open (engine off BTW). It will be in the service manual. The other thing to bear in mind is that AFAIK it doesn't change the gearchange points except maybe at the bottom end - so people do it when trickling through traffic gets a bit crotchety.
A couple of points about the dct change mid corner. Firstly does it matter? The problem with a gearchange in a corner on a manual bike IMHO is that it unsettles the bike. As well as momentarily dropping power, you have inadvertent inputs to the handlebars and the footpegs. You also get substantial weight transfer to the front and the bike rocks fore and aft. None of that happens with a DCT change. Secondly if it really bothers you - and I'm presuming that it's a change up mid corner that is the issue. If you know it might come does it not work to have your thumb poised over the down paddle? I don't ride really fast but after 5 years with a DCT, I don't find shifts in corners an issue.
Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's the 2 first things the Moto school tells you when riding, the correct corner trajectory for smooth riding and shift gear before the turn to avoid adherence losses or chassis wobble.
So that's really stupid saying you don't mind the DCT doing this, I prefer not trying this even if not riding hard, that's just safer !

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That's the 2 first things the Moto school tells you when riding, the correct corner trajectory for smooth riding and shift gear before the turn to avoid adherence losses or chassis wobble.
So that's really stupid saying you don't mind the DCT doing this, I prefer not trying this even if not riding hard, that's just safer !
I don't think I'm saying anything different from the schools. If the Dct prevents chassis wobbles it will avoid adherence losses
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
The fact that the changes in the DCT are seamless, without any deceleration and then acceleration, means there is no loss of balance. I just let the gearbox do its own thing and concentrate on where I am going.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The fact that the changes in the DCT are seamless, without any deceleration and then acceleration, means there is no loss of balance. I just let the gearbox do its own thing and concentrate on where I am going.
I'm wondering if the guys on here have seen the honda video shot on the rolling road that demonstrates what you are saying PJM. It was posted on the NC forum I will see if I can find it
Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,
Hope you find that vid! I am really curious to see it. I still love the bike but it does worry me at times if I am on a long sweeping corner that may not be perfectly dry. On the curves I know the bike may shift in, I switch to manual. It has never caused me a problem, but it is unnerving.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well here's one video by Honda but it's not the best. Still shows the main point PJ and me are making though. start watching at 2 mins 40 secs in.
I will keep looking for the better video
Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know that in theory it's seemless and you don't feel a thing, doesn't mean it's a good thing to switch in a turn, at least I wouldn't like that at all.
Doesn't? the highest sport mode put stress on tires ?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I know that in theory it's seemless and you don't feel a thing, doesn't mean it's a good thing to switch in a turn, at least I wouldn't like that at all.
No it doesn't mean it's a good thing ... or a bad thing ... it just means it doesn't matter.
Doesn't the highest sport mode put stress on tires ?
Not sure if this is connected to the main point of the thread, but FWIW my guess would be that it would be the same as someone riding a manual bike really hard.
Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
No it doesn't mean it's a good thing ... or a bad thing ... it just means it doesn't matter.

Not sure if this is connected to the main point of the thread, but FWIW my guess would be that it would be the same as someone riding a manual bike really hard.
Mike

Okay so my point exactly, I wouldn't want the S3 to possibly shift within a turn, even the motogp guys don't do it with shifters, so I wouldn't go against the laws of physics, but call me stubborn or old school...

One other point people miss about a huge manual advantage to me, the slipper clutch is really godly when going down mountain roads, I still prefer this to DCT because on my MT-09 it could have really benefited from this a lot, makes me sweat a lot less.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The DCT doing its thing in a corner is nothing to worry about at all, it is designed to do it and as has been said it doesn't matter.

Sure a slipper clutch is nice but not as nice as the DCT box. There are many better off road bikes than the AT, there are many better road bikes. The AT is a good 50/50 bike but the DCT is what makes it special.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Being an old fart myself, I did find the corner shift a little unnerving.
Then as others have said you sort of just get used to it and barely notice it so much.

Having said this, when I do fancy a 'Spirited' ride home I do love interfering with the DCT by manual downshifting before the corner 'old style), it enables a massive grin when you rocket out of the corner with plenty of revs lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
Being an old fart myself, I did find the corner shift a little unnerving.
Then as others have said you sort of just get used to it and barely notice it so much.

Having said this, when I do fancy a 'Spirited' ride home I do love interfering with the DCT by manual downshifting before the corner 'old style), it enables a massive grin when you rocket out of the corner with plenty of revs lol
Great to hear a self proclaimed "old fart" is enjoying and embracing newer tech, maybe I can too.
Maybe that's part of the problem, holding on to methods that were created within the limitations of older ideas.
Being on two wheels is merely transportation for some and a way of life for others, enjoy the ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts