Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone kindly explain to me how to engage the sport mode gearing on DCT, as i've just taken delivery of my 2016 model and I can't get it out of D mode. Thank you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sounds like a trip back to the dealer may be in order? You can try the DCT reset as documented elsewhere in the forum...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to go into sport mode by simply pressing the toggle. To change to a different sport mode, it's a long press. How frustrating that you're having an immediate issue!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you're not pressing it twice in quick succession because it then goes D into S and back into D almost before you could even see the indicator change to S from D. Dont' ask me how I know LOL. Once you get it into S, then press and hold the button and it will do into S2 and S3. I'm finding I am now riding mostly in a S mode, as it delays both the upshifts and downshifts from occurring so quickly. in D mode, it almost seems as if it is lugging the engine on anything but very slow acceleration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just a point about changing sport modes. Yes it's done by a long press on the S-button, but it only works if the throttle is closed.
Mike
I didn't know this! Good point Mike. For me, I wish it would remember which mode you were using when you go to neutral and back. I like to go to neutral at lights that I know are going to be a bit long, etc and its easy to forget the double-tap to sport mode, when you go again. I also find the clutch "drags" ever so slightly when I'm stopped (I can feel it pulling against me, just a bit, if I don't have a brake on) which also makes me want to click into neutral waiting at a stop.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yes it would have been nice if Honda had allowed some dealer settable options as some luxury car manufacturers do. One of those obvious options would be to make one of the sport modes the default condition on start up
There is a slight drag from the clutch but its not really noticeable unless the bike is in warm-up mode. Might be worth checking that your idle revs are correct.
Mike

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
The bike stayed stopped at lights etc if the throttle is fully closed even if the bike is in D or S without holding the brake or switching to neutral.
Mine as well. I have not had any issues with it trying to creep forward or anything. Sat with it in gear while I took my camera out and snapped a few photos the other day, even with both hands off the bars, it still sat still.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Mine as well. I have not had any issues with it trying to creep forward or anything. Sat with it in gear while I took my camera out and snapped a few photos the other day, even with both hands off the bars, it still sat still.
Yes this is true if the idle revs are set correctly. But even then there is a slight drag from the clutch. You can prove this to yourself by trying to paddle the bike backwards on level ground first with it in D-mode and then in N (engine running of course)
Mike

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to go into sport mode by simply pressing the toggle. To change to a different sport mode, it's a long press. How frustrating that you're having an immediate issue!
It's not a long press, but rather a press with the throttle in the off position. It won't change sport modes when you're on the gas.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not a long press, but rather a press with the throttle in the off position. It won't change sport modes when you're on the gas.
Yes I'm aware of that, I just forgot to mention the throttle being closed. You do need to hold it longer than just toggling, however, or it will simply go back to D mode. Additionally, the throttle also needs to be closed to activate G mode.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes I'm aware of that, I just forgot to mention the throttle being closed. You do need to hold it longer than just toggling, however, or it will simply go back to D mode. Additionally, the throttle also needs to be closed to activate G mode.
Odd that Honda made it like that, to me it's more disruptive to have to get off the gas to change the mode, don't see anything "safe" about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Odd that Honda made it like that, to me it's more disruptive to have to get off the gas to change the mode, don't see anything "safe" about it.
I agree! When I was going from asphalt to gravel and back frequently, I found it awkward switching modes with a quick closing of the throttle. I often end up forgetting to change it, lol.

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Yes this is true if the idle revs are set correctly. But even then there is a slight drag from the clutch. You can prove this to yourself by trying to paddle the bike backwards on level ground first with it in D-mode and then in N (engine running of course)

Mike

Mike,

Hi. I appreciate the follow-up, and I understand what you are saying. Someone mentioned in an earlier post about enough drag to where they wanted to put the bike in Neutral at stops, and that seems as though maybe the drag is a bit excessive if there is the need to do that. Luckily mine seems to be on the mark, where I can just hold it in place while stopped, without having to use the brake, etc.

You can feel the drag a little, as you say, it’s ever present when in gear, but it’s appears to be a fairly minimal pull if idle revs, etc. are set correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 46 Posts