Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new 2017 Africa Twin DCT for 10 days and 420 miles and it has already stalled starting out from a stoplight with moderate throttle. It's exactly the same behavior as in these two videos:

By looking at multiple forums, I've found these potential causes but no "smoking gun" because the issue seems to be very intermittent for most people:

• faulty ECM: reset by disconnecting battery or have dealer do a reset (different?)
  • start button/kill switch faulty: either clean and put on dielectric grease or replace
  • IACV (idle air control valve, part of throttle bottle): replace throttle bodies
  • Coils (not sure what this is)
  • Add booster plug (not sure what this is either)
  • Faulty bank angle sensor: supposed to shut off bike if it falls over (only one mention of this)
My bike is still under warranty but I use it every day for commuting so I'd like to avoid having it at the dealer for a week while they work on it (but I'll do that if necessary). I've been riding for 24 years and have done all my own maintenance during that time (this is my first new bike with a warranty). My Helm service manual for the AT should arrive any day now.

So what would you do in my situation? Wait and see if it happens again? Start doing some of the easy fixes above? Just take it to the dealer?

I'm surprised that no one has figured out the root cause of this yet. Does anyone know if Honda has a technical service bulletin on this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wonder if you could drop it into neutral at long stops and rev it a bit, then kick it back into gear when the light turns green? FWIW, I'm 1337 miles into my 2016 AT DCT and haven't had that happen. That said, I don't commute on it so not a ton of long waiting at lights. Is it only in D mode or S modes as well?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder if you could drop it into neutral at long stops and rev it a bit, then kick it back into gear when the light turns green? FWIW, I'm 1337 miles into my 2016 AT DCT and haven't had that happen. That said, I don't commute on it so not a ton of long waiting at lights. Is it only in D mode or S modes as well?
It only happened once so far (yesterday) and it was in S1 mode. I had been driving in S2 mode but switched to S1 because I want to check fuel efficiency.

I just got past the 300 mile break-in period and I've been starting out more vigorously (but not super aggressive). Someone else suggested that the DCT is still "learning my style" and maybe I confused it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just got off the phone with Honda about my AT DCT stalling and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know. 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with Honda about my AT DCT stalling and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know. 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST.
I just called them as well to report the issue I had (DCT stalling when taking off from a stop light). The guy I talked to was aware of the issue being reported on forums but said there were no technical bulletins from Honda on how to fix the issue.

My guess is that Honda is well aware of the issue but doesn't have any idea how to fix it. I wonder if the issue will go away on the 2018 models because those are Throttle By Wire, and they can prevent stalling no matter when or how fast the rider opens the throttle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had my new 2017 Africa Twin DCT for 10 days and 420 miles and it has already stalled starting out from a stoplight with moderate throttle. It's exactly the same behavior as in these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSfDe2p06po
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx-34kyTHIY

By looking at multiple forums, I've found these potential causes but no "smoking gun" because the issue seems to be very intermittent for most people:

• faulty ECM: reset by disconnecting battery or have dealer do a reset (different?)
  • start button/kill switch faulty: either clean and put on dielectric grease or replace
  • IACV (idle air control valve, part of throttle bottle): replace throttle bodies
  • Coils (not sure what this is)
  • Add booster plug (not sure what this is either)
  • Faulty bank angle sensor: supposed to shut off bike if it falls over (only one mention of this)
My bike is still under warranty but I use it every day for commuting so I'd like to avoid having it at the dealer for a week while they work on it (but I'll do that if necessary). I've been riding for 24 years and have done all my own maintenance during that time (this is my first new bike with a warranty). My Helm service manual for the AT should arrive any day now.

So what would you do in my situation? Wait and see if it happens again? Start doing some of the easy fixes above? Just take it to the dealer?

I'm surprised that no one has figured out the root cause of this yet. Does anyone know if Honda has a technical service bulletin on this?
Another thing to try is to check and drain the crankcase vent tubes. I had the same problems early on and found that solution. Mine had about a tablespoon of oil in the left side.

After you get a few good miles on it the problem will hopefully go away. My '17 AT took about 1500 miles before it felt like it was broke in good. And its never stalled since in the last 2k miles, knock on wood.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing to try is to check and drain the crankcase vent tubes. I had the same problems early on and found that solution. Mine had about a tablespoon of oil in the left side.

After you get a few good miles on it the problem will hopefully go away. My '17 AT took about 1500 miles before it felt like it was broke in good. And its never stalled since in the last 2k miles, knock on wood.
Cool. I'll check those today when I do my 600 mile oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just over a 1000 mile on my 2017 DCT AT; as I went to pull away at a roundabout this morning the engine stopped. It started up again without any issues but not fun.

I spoke to the dealer I got the bike from they suggest a possible pipe being squashed under the fuel tank and recommended I take to my local dealer.

Booked in for early next week.

:-/

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just over a 1000 mile on my 2017 DCT AT; as I went to pull away at a roundabout this morning the engine stopped. It started up again without any issues but not fun.

I spoke to the dealer I got the bike from they suggest a possible pipe being squashed under the fuel tank and recommended I take to my local dealer.

Booked in for early next week.

:-/
Sorry to hear that. Can you give any more details? How long were you sitting at the roundabout? Was the engine warm? How vigorously did you open the throttle?

Mine hasn't stalled again since the first time. But I've been opening the throttle a little (not enough to move the bike) as I get close to the time I think the light is going to change. I'm wondering if it stalls once in a while because we simply catch the engine "off guard" and give it too much air when it's not prepared for it. Just a working hypothesis for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just stopped and got my foot down, I went almost straight away when nothing it just cut; no big rush just normal acceleration due to traffic. Engine was at temp and done 9 miles at various speeds before this.

With your off guard theory I know what you mean, when in drive and going slow in second it sometimes feels as though it will stall so i have to knock it down manually..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just stopped and got my foot down, I went almost straight away when nothing it just cut; no big rush just normal acceleration due to traffic. Engine was at temp and done 9 miles at various speeds before this.

With your off guard theory I know what you mean, when in drive and going slow in second it sometimes feels as though it will stall so i have to knock it down manually..
I have the 17 Non DCT - 400 miles on it and the exact same scenario you describe. I rolled into the thankfully empty turn lane, stopped, hit the start and everything was fine. I'm only at 600 now but no new instances of this. Totally Ridiculous.....perhaps with all of this documented on the forums Honda will figure it out or prepare for their first huge lawsuit. Maybe I should have bought a 2500 dollar KLR650 so I could have reliability. I'm nervous as h3ll all the time now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My one and only stall so far was at 8-9 miles too.

How long did you let it idle/warm up before riding it?

The reason I ask is I think when mine stalled, I let it idle/warm up for a much longer time than I have in the past. Actually heard it bog down while idling and blipped the throttle a couple of times while it was idling to try and get it to clear up.

I'm wondering if either of those or a combination could possibly be the source of the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No real warm up; just start make sure all the lights go out, let it settle for 5 seconds or so then ride off in D taking it easy till the temp goes up. Then into S1 and traction control dependant on conditions.

I usually ride conservatively but this evening I opened it up and held the revs high to get evething nice and hot...no reoccurrence yet but tomorrow’s another day!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 DCT with a little over 1000 miles on it stall on me at a stop sign this week. I thought maybe it was because I switched to 87 octane fuel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2016 DCT with a little over 1000 miles on it stall on me at a stop sign this week. I thought maybe it was because I switched to 87 octane fuel.
I've still only had the one stall at about 400 miles and I've only used 87 octane in it (I'm not sure there's any advantage to using the higher octane as long as the engine isn't pinging.)

Since the initial stall, I've been revving the engine slightly before starting off, similar to getting the revs up before letting out the clutch. So far, so good, but I'm only at 1300 miles now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now running mine in Sport 2 mode to make sure it revs more before changing gear; also since using S2 the MPG has gone up to 61 mpg as apposed to 58 in D....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was everyone running a stop sign when theirs stalled? I was too. Maybe its an anti-stop sign running feature :)
The one time it happened to me I was completely stopped at a light for about 20-30 seconds.

Even if I don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, my DCT always shifts down to first gear before I start up again. In your case, could it be that you were still in 2nd gear when you started to go again?

I've come to realize that one of the disadvantages of the DCT is that I don't have complete control over the revs and clutch like I did with the standard transmission, and I have to adjust my riding style accordingly to prevent stalls and lurching at low speeds.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts