Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Had another stall today. This makes it the 4th time. I am going to take it in to service, because this is a safety hazard.
That looks bad. Sorry to hear it happened again. I've been in similar situations and rolled on the throttle and haven't had any stalls. My stall was when I was completely stopped and then tried to start out.

Hopefully they can find something wrong and fix it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2017 DCT (2200 miles on it). I asked at the shop about it, and the head mechanic suggested I put in an ounce of BG44K, which is an injector cleaner. That fixed the issue. No more stalls, or rough running. He suggested that while it might not be plugged, it might be just dribbling the fuel out. Try a good injector cleaner and see if that helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had a similar problem on my 2017 DCT (2200 miles on it). I asked at the shop about it, and the head mechanic suggested I put in an ounce of BG44K, which is an injector cleaner. That fixed the issue. No more stalls, or rough running. He suggested that while it might not be plugged, it might be just dribbling the fuel out. Try a good injector cleaner and see if that helps.
This is a great suggestion. Quick and easy to try, and it makes sense for the stalling problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got the bike back from service. They tried three times to reset the DCT, but it failed to do so. The mechanic told me that they will ask Honda if that was normal and let me know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just got the bike back from service. They tried three times to reset the DCT, but it failed to do so. The mechanic told me that they will ask Honda if that was normal and let me know.
I was able to reset the DCT on my 2017 AT using the procedure described here:
https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/280090-post12.html

The instructions in the service manual were a little confusing. Could it be that the mechanic didn't quite do the procedure correctly? It might be worth trying it yourself. Let me know if want more details on how my reset worked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was able to reset the DCT on my 2017 AT using the procedure described here:
https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/280090-post12.html

The instructions in the service manual were a little confusing. Could it be that the mechanic didn't quite do the procedure correctly? It might be worth trying it yourself. Let me know if want more details on how my reset worked.

It worked!

Hopefully this resolves my issue, I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Another stall at 2400 miles

I had my second stall at 2400 miles yesterday (first was around 400 miles). I was completely stopped at a light and wanted to take off quickly because I was lane splitting and wanted to get ahead of the cagers. While waiting, I revved the engine slightly (with my foot on the back brake) every few seconds. This is something I started doing after the last stall in the hopes it would fix the problem.

When I rolled on the throttle to go, it just died. Fortunately, it started right up.

It's still running the tank of gas with fuel cleaner added (Red Line, about 1/4 tank left) and has been running smoothly.

The only consistent variable between the two stalls is that it happened within a few minutes of starting out (2 miles the first time and 0.6 mile the second time). And, if I remember correctly, I pushed it pretty hard at the beginning of the ride by accelerating up hill.

At least this time, I wasn't confused about what happened. I just calmly started it up, put it into drive, and went on my way. But it was still annoying that the cars around me thought I was some noob that doesn't know how to control the clutch! :smile2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had my first stall at a stop sign in a down pour. Bike fired back up. At the time of the stall bike had right under 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
wow - in 70k miles of DCT I have never experienced a stall or even thought the bike might be going to. I guess it would have to stall if there was some serious misfire with the engine though.
Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
wow - in 70k miles of DCT I have never experienced a stall or even thought the bike might be going to. I guess it would have to stall if there was some serious misfire with the engine though.
Mike

Same here, 2 VFR1200's 1 CrossTourer and a couple of NC700/750 + the CRF, not one stall.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts