41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
DCT calibration once a year it´s a must

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi .I'm having similar problems. On long trips when constant Throttle position long sections or distances engine cuts out missfires .Recover after switching kill/starter switch off then on again.Honda has advise check fuel filter .start doing it at 4000klms.Fuel pump tested ok .dealer this week to see if it is fuel filter.Dealer has had one other do the same with dirty fuel filter.
Any one else had this problem.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The booster plug fixed it for me and my 2016 AT. Stalling happened at very low miles and possibilities for serious consequences demanded quick fix. The plug tells the bike that it is colder out than it really is causing it to richen the mixture slightly. No problems since. The designer said that Honda was tuning the system too lean for emissions purposes. It has run great ever since and now has over 25,000 miles on it. Gas mileage seems unchanged. Only drawback was the installation which requires tank removal. If you haven't tried that....give it a go. It gets easier (and quicker) each time you do it.

P.S.: Love the bike

·
Registered
192 Posts
No need of booster plug (last useless ****) to solve the issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same here, 2 VFR1200's 1 CrossTourer and a couple of NC700/750 + the CRF, not one stall.

I have a VFR1200X, NC700X and the Africa Twin, all DCT.

The only stall I've had on those bikes in a combined 12,000 miles is one on the Africa Twin at about 1400 miles if I remember correctly.

I ride all of them in the most aggressive sport mode that they allow. I can't remember if I was riding in D or not when I had the stall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2018 ATAS DCT did the whole stalling thing too when I was on a trip out to Colorado in September, started when I was riding miles off road up a trail in the mountains after I had ridden all the way across 6 states from the East Coast. Ran like a champ before this happened. 3500 miles on it.
Bike bucked like crazy for a bit then stalled out, did it a few times. Start, run 5 min then stall etc. 10 times or more.. had 1/3 tank of gas or so, no cellphone coverage, I thought I was sleeping out under the stars... I sat for an hr then the bike started and stayed running, I made it off the trail, gassed up with a full tank and headed back to town.
Went to the dealer first thing in the morning and he couldnt reproduce the issue and there was no codes stored in the computer. I left the dealer and within 10 minutes it was happening again, bucking like crazy and stalling, so back to the shop and told the dealer. He then took it out and it happened to him too.
He talked to the Honda Service rep who told him there was an issue reported by another dealer where the fuel filter was plugged with a wax coating from when the tank was made that might not have been completely cleaned when the bike was assembled. Tanks were all built and stored before the bikes were assembled I guess ?
My guy took the tank off and sure enough the fuel filter was plugged with a white waxy substance.
Dealer cleaned the filter and washed out the tank. Reassembled and all was good, no further issues since. Honda also very nicely paid for a new Fuel pump install when I got home, in case the pump was damaged when stalling out.
All good since, Honda took care of it I'm happy to say.
My bike is a really low serial number bike, so an early build for Honda.
Love the bike, the Adventure half way up a mountain adds to the fun...

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 2018 ATAS DCT did the whole stalling thing too when I was on a trip out to Colorado in September

the fuel filter was plugged with a white waxy substance.

Dealer cleaned the filter and washed out the tank. Reassembled and all was good, no further issues since.

Excellent post Martman, thank you. Ive not had this happen to me, but its reassuring to know at least one cause, that is 'mechanical' rather than 'software' and so, is easily resolved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has started doing this, riding through town and the bike would loose power and stall. Restarted ok but did it again. Seems to happen when the weather is warm. Eventually got on a motorway and it lost power and stalled in the outside lane, bit of a life flashed before my eyes moment, trying the get the bike to safety on the hard shoulder. Then called recovery as I didn't want to die! Speaking to Honda dealer today. Bike is a June 2018 dct with 16k on it. I have noticed that I cant go below 34 miles left in the tank as the bike stalls, presumably because the petrol in the tank has moved when braking....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder if my inspection camera can handle being in gasoline? My 2018 ATAS was sputtering for a bit the other day. Reminded me of fuel starving from a vacuum lock - but I popped the cap and didn't get a rush of air (plus it was only about a 1/3 of a tank and that normally acts up on a full tank).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had multiple stalls with my 17 DCT over the last year. Usually 1 or 2 every couple weeks, mostly on pavement. My wife’s 16 DCT only once within the last year. Two weekends ago, off-road, 3 stalls within 2 hours riding technical / slow and blipping the throttle. Took it to local dealer, after I changed plugs and oil. Picked up the bike yesterday and rode today off-road and stalled 6-7 times within 2 hours, 2 bars of fuel showing. Most stalls ever for me in one day. Honda Dealer told me there is a known issue with the fuel pump, affects mostly the newer bikes 18-19 and some older ones. Replacing the pump on 8/14 under Honda emissions warranty although my extended warranty covers it as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How many people who are complaining of slow-speed stalling also have a habit of blipping the throttle? The ECM gets confused when it doesn't know what you really want.

·
Super Moderator
1,780 Posts
Mine (2018 ATAS) will come very close to stalling but ONLY in “D” mode did a rolling stop once and it even stayed in 2nd when I went to take off it chugged and chugged came very close...
But that is a DCT issue the above issues sone more engine/fuel related. And mine is fixed by not trying to drive slow in “D” mode and just use “S”..

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2018 ATAS DCT did the whole stalling thing too ... and sure enough the fuel filter was plugged with a white waxy substance.
Dealer cleaned the filter and washed out the tank... no further issues since. ... My bike is a really low serial number bike, so an early build for Honda
6 wks ago bought left over July 2018 ATAS dct and now I'm worried. Was hoping this was resolved by the time 18's were made.

Mine (2018 ATAS) will come very close to stalling but ONLY in “D” mode did a rolling stop once and it even stayed in 2nd when I went to take off it chugged and chugged came very close...
Noticed how it holds gears longer in "S" mode and chugs gas. Well at least it sounds more aggressive so there's a consolation.

·
Super Moderator
1,780 Posts
Noticed how it holds gears longer in "S" mode and chugs gas. Well at least it sounds more aggressive so there's a consolation.
Yea, but it shifts MUCH better and closer to how I would shift if it was a manual...

·
Registered
5 Posts
How many people who are complaining of slow-speed stalling also have a habit of blipping the throttle? The ECM gets confused when it doesn't know what you really want.
Thanks for the feedback. What I want is 300-400 rpms to maintain forward momentum while moving at 6-7 mph. Don’t want to drag the rear brake and maintain constant throttle. If I had the standard to modulate the clutch it wouldn’t stall. Honda claims no stalls for DCT thus I expect the ECM to adapt, handle and deliver. I’m usually in s1 / s2 mode, gravel mode and abs off. On the bright side, blasting down dirt roads on full throttle is no issue

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. What I want is 300-400 rpms to maintain forward momentum while moving at 6-7 mph. Don’t want to drag the rear brake and maintain constant throttle. If I had the standard to modulate the clutch it wouldn’t stall. Honda claims no stalls for DCT thus I expect the ECM to adapt, handle and deliver. I’m usually in s1 / s2 mode, gravel mode and abs off. On the bright side, blasting down dirt roads on full throttle is no issue
idle speed is 1400rpm isn't it? I guess Honda wouldn't want revs dropping much below idle speed, so if 1400rpm in 1st gear is too fast they will cause the dct to slip it's clutch. Won't they?
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
idle speed is 1400rpm isn't it? I guess Honda wouldn't want revs dropping much below idle speed, so if 1400rpm in 1st gear is too fast they will cause the dct to slip it's clutch. Won't they?
Mike
Manual states
Engine idle speed 1,200 ± 100 min-1 (rpm)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts