Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Manual states
Engine idle speed 1,200 ± 100 min-1 (rpm)
Ok - but my point is if Dimitri wants 300 or 400 rpm AND that's the correct revs in 1st gear to move along at 6 or 7 mph, then the DCT must be slipping the clutch or it would stall. Mine doesn't and I have had 5 dct bikes now and done 80k miles on them and never had one stall.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my new 2017 Africa Twin DCT for 10 days and 420 miles and it has already stalled starting out from a stoplight with moderate throttle. It's exactly the same behavior as in these two videos:

By looking at multiple forums, I've found these potential causes but no "smoking gun" because the issue seems to be very intermittent for most people:

• faulty ECM: reset by disconnecting battery or have dealer do a reset (different?)
  • start button/kill switch faulty: either clean and put on dielectric grease or replace
  • IACV (idle air control valve, part of throttle bottle): replace throttle bodies
  • Coils (not sure what this is)
  • Add booster plug (not sure what this is either)
  • Faulty bank angle sensor: supposed to shut off bike if it falls over (only one mention of this)
My bike is still under warranty but I use it every day for commuting so I'd like to avoid having it at the dealer for a week while they work on it (but I'll do that if necessary). I've been riding for 24 years and have done all my own maintenance during that time (this is my first new bike with a warranty). My Helm service manual for the AT should arrive any day now.

So what would you do in my situation? Wait and see if it happens again? Start doing some of the easy fixes above? Just take it to the dealer?

I'm surprised that no one has figured out the root cause of this yet. Does anyone know if Honda has a technical service bulletin on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Adventure Sport and thought this issue was just because it was new and that I needed to get used to it and that it might be me. On further reflection and finding this website, I’ve realised it’s not rider error, it’s the bike. Mine’s a manual, but exactly replicates the issue in the video. I nearly dropped it yesterday, pulling out of a junction on a steep incline which turned into another once out of the junction. Being in 1st gear, when the engine stalled and in motion the engine braking was harsh which threw me off balance and I struggled to hold it up, I got a sweat on without doubt. Approaching 60 I have to think wether or not it’s worth keeping? I brought this one after waiting for the 2020 model initially, I just felt their was to much electronics on it for my liking, but I think this 2019 model isn’t without similar unnecessary tech.. which is all well and good until you get an issue which is denied by the manufacturer and could be a million and one things in its diagnosis.. New to the forum, but it’s a wealth of knowledge and great that these experiences are shared.. I’m grateful for one..👊🇦🇺

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have read this happening to some regular Honda motorcycles (non-AT) and some have indicated things like:
  • Cracked ignition coil
  • Cracked stop engine switch
  • Damaged side kickstand switch
This smells like an electrical issue to me. I would believe an IMU device failing (i.e. "banking sensor" tilt switch), but that would happen because of some electrical over-voltage issue which the rider may never realize until well after it happened.

All my unexpected stall issues on past bikes have been all related to electrical.

Example: Marginal break in engine stop circuit in the steering column wiring harness. This was evil and hard to find.

Example: ECU unit became loose and hung by its wires under the tank and put strain on a connector that was creating an intermittent open on its circuit.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts