Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 67 reg 1st sept 2017 AT DCT and it has stalled on several occasions when after selecting D drive you twist the throttle it just stalls , cuts off the engine and you have to restart it,
It has been into the Honda dealer for a new kill switch last week, but this weekend it did it again.
I decided not to ride it after that and am now having doubts about keeping it?
Is this a common problem? The threads I have read re the kill switch seemed to be referring to rough idling, but this is a definite stall, and the idle has always seemed ok to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 67 DCT now done 1700 miles on and offroad and it has never cut out. Post a video of the issue. I only ever used it in Drive mode on the day I bought it, since then always in one of the sport modes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I decided not to ride it after that and am now having doubts about keeping it?
Is this a common problem? The threads I have read re the kill switch seemed to be referring to rough idling, but this is a definite stall, and the idle has always seemed ok to me.
This is definitely not normal and you should make sure your dealer resolves it.

The only consistent issue I have with DCT is that if you start the bike after at least 6 hours switched off, the initial clutch engagement can be "grabby" and the bike may hold first gear longer than normal. This behavior is exacerbated by parking with the front higher than the rear. I believe the issue is related to clutch lubrication. It goes away after a few hundred feet, and does not happen at all if you idle for 30-45 seconds before switching out of neutral.

The above behavior may be related to transmission break-in. I will perform DCT reset to determine if it addresses the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is definitely not normal and you should make sure your dealer resolves it.

The only consistent issue I have with DCT is that if you start the bike after at least 6 hours switched off, the initial clutch engagement can be "grabby" and the bike may hold first gear longer than normal. This behavior is exacerbated by parking with the front higher than the rear. I believe the issue is related to clutch lubrication. It goes away after a few hundred feet, and does not happen at all if you idle for 30-45 seconds before switching out of neutral.

The above behavior may be related to transmission break-in. I will perform DCT reset to determine if it addresses the problem.
I recognise this symptom.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the two vent hoses located on the left side .... remove the plugs and drain any oil.....this may solve your problem....and then again it may not....

·
Registered
51 Posts
You recognise this symptom and?
Nothing, just that after standing my bike overnight on the centre stand, if i get on, start and ride off (in s1 always) I have noticed that it holds a gear a little longer. Like, worryingly longer than the S mode usully does. In 2nd, it usually changes up round 2700 revs. If I go off from cold it'll hold 2nd till around 3400 (I guess? as I slowed down before it changed),. When warm and riding in the same manner it'll click up closer to 2800rpm...just an observation. nothing I am worried about. After it happened, I started switching bike on 45 ish seconds before the off...

·
Registered
110 Posts
On mine.
After sitting awhile there is a little delay in the clutch engagement on the very first takeoff. Its not jerky or anything, but noticeable. I don't pay much attention to shift points since it seems throttle and load sensitive. I know that the progressive sport modes work in holding gears longer.

Mine has stalled three times in 2200 miles, fully warmed up, taking off from a complete stop. Started right back up every time though. Kind of a pain at a stoplight in the middle of traffic...

·
Registered
93 Posts
This stalling could be lethal where I ride, I have to sometimes cross a busy dual carriageway from a B road. Does it move off then stall?

·
Registered
110 Posts
cckelly67,
Mine has never stalled after its moving. Its never died two times in a row either. It happened each time as soon as I started to twist the throttle, it just died. These were all normal takeoffs, not aggressive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
cckelly67,
Mine has never stalled after its moving. Its never died two times in a row either. It happened each time as soon as I started to twist the throttle, it just died. These were all normal takeoffs, not aggressive.
Mine just did this today! Did you find a solution? Has it done it since?

I only have 400 miles on mine. The take-off was vigorous but not aggressive. I was lane-splitting and wanted to get ahead of the cars but was left stranded in the middle of the lanes. It was in S1 mode.

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
cckelly67,

Mine has done just that on a couple of occasions. Once a single time, another instance it has done it twice in row. It stalled on takeoff, restarted, stalled again, Hasn’t done it again in 4K+ miles. But just those two instances in 8K+ miles. It makes it tough to troubleshoot since it happens so infrequently and won’t repeat for a long time. So of course it *never* happens when the dealer test rides it when it’s in for service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine has done just that on a couple of occasions. Once a single time, another instance it has done it twice in row. It stalled on takeoff, restarted, stalled again, Hasn’t done it again in 4K+ miles. But just those two instances in 8K+ miles. It makes it tough to troubleshoot since it happens so infrequently and won’t repeat for a long time. So of course it *never* happens when the dealer test rides it when it’s in for service
I wonder if it's because I was in S1 mode. Before today, I was riding in S2 mode and taking off with vigor to get ahead of cars while lane splitting at a stop light. In S2 mode I didn't have any problems. But now I'm testing fuel efficiency so I put it in S1.

I guess I'll wait and see if it does it again. And I'll be ready next time to restart it and get it back into drive. This time, it probably took me 5-10 seconds to figure out what happened and to remember to take it out of neutral. :smile2:

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
I wonder if it's because I was in S1 mode. Before today, I was riding in S2 mode and taking off with vigor to get ahead of cars while lane splitting at a stop light. In S2 mode I didn't have any problems. But now I'm testing fuel efficiency so I put it in S1.

I guess I'll wait and see if it does it again. And I'll be ready next time to restart it and get it back into drive. This time, it probably took me 5-10 seconds to figure out what happened and to remember to take it out of neutral. :smile2:

I am not sure its mode dependent. The first stalls for me where both in S2. The second time it stalled in the instance where I had the double stall, was in D mode, because at that point I was just trying to get moving.

That said, 2 instances in 8K+ miles and it really hasn’t ever been more than a minor annoyance so far. I mean yeah, it shouldn’t ever happen, but it’s not been a big deal. Maybe there will be a firmware update or something down the road that will eliminate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
UPDATE
Mine has not done it in since posting about it, now at 3500 miles.
The only advice I found and followed was to drain the crankcase vent tubes.
I did have about a tablespoon of oil in the left side, right side was clear.
How this had any affect is a mystery to me.
Maybe the ECU just got the right data over time to correct itself or something else idk.
I usually run 87 octane w/10% ethanol.

Loving this bike and the never miss a gear DCT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, it happened to me too...

Yesterday, at 8 minutes into a ride with the odometer at 1477 miles in S2/T3, it stalled.

I didn't actually stop. I was planning on rolling through a stop sign on back country road and as soon as I touched the throttle, dead.

I noticed it kicked me into neutral right after it died. The reason I noticed was because it was an uphill stop and I started rolling backwards when I tried to take off. I've noticed when parking the bike in the garage, I can hit the kill switch prematurely with it still in S2 and when it turns off, its still in 1st gear. But in the case of this stall, it kicked it back to neutral without me telling it to.

I wonder if that gives info on a solution. What mechanism on the bike would tell it to shut off, then go back to neutral without being prompted?

I'm going to call Honda today and see what they say. There are enough reports on the Internet about this that they have to have heard about it by now.

Coincidentally enough, yesterday's ride was a test run for my new video setup on the bike, so here is a video of it happening:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, it happened to me too...

Yesterday, at 8 minutes into a ride with the odometer at 1477 miles in S2/T3, it stalled.

I didn't actually stop. I was planning on rolling through a stop sign on back country road and as soon as I touched the throttle, dead.

I noticed it kicked me into neutral right after it died. The reason I noticed was because it was an uphill stop and I started rolling backwards when I tried to take off. I've noticed when parking the bike in the garage, I can hit the kill switch prematurely with it still in S2 and when it turns off, its still in 1st gear. But in the case of this stall, it kicked it back to neutral without me telling it to.

I wonder if that gives info on a solution. What mechanism on the bike would tell it to shut off, then go back to neutral without being prompted?

I'm going to call Honda today and see what they say. There are enough reports on the Internet about this that they have to have heard about it by now.

Coincidentally enough, yesterday's ride was a test run for my new video setup on the bike, so here is a video of it happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdY24aEfW50
That sucks! Please update us on what Honda has to say. I'd love to know what their hypotheses are on what's causing this. It's too bad they don't participate in forums. I think if we worked together with the Honda engineers, we'd be able to figure out the cause of the DCT stalling.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just got off the phone with Honda and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got off the phone with Honda and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know.
A year later and I just called them about the same issue and guess what.. . They've never heard about this issue before and to send it to a dealer to try and replicate it. Must be their standard response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got an 2013 Xtz1200 that's been through this same thing with. Yamaha finally addressed it after a lot of riders complained for about a year or 2. Problem was in the wiring harness on it. They would idle high and sometimes stall. The problem was found by grabbing the main harness under the tank and moving it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts