Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of weeks I've had my DCT stall twice while pulling away from a traffic light. Both times the engine was well warmed up and the bike was in 1st gear. Stalled as soon as I twisted the throttle normally when the light turned green.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Never - and that's in 3 to 4 years of riding NC DCT bikes. As far as I know only one person on the NC forums has reported stalling and that was on a VFR1200 early version of the DCT.
Definitely something wrong - it's one of the big safety features IMHO that they just don't stall at critical moments.
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
I made only 2.800km, by now with zero problems.
The specific situation of stalling when starting movement is something that seems completely abnormal. The way the DCT acts when starting movement looks very stable.

Is the idling rotation too low?
Maybe some rotation sensor malfunction?

Please inform the conclusion. It might be important in case any other have the same situation...

·
Registered
219 Posts
DCT should not stall , if it does there is something wrong ! i have some experience with the nc750 dct , it has never stalled , not once . Honda knows how to build the dct by now , so there must be something new for the AT causing problems on some bikes , i am sure that they will locate the issue soon enough .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Properly stated: the engine stalled. Most likely, the fact that it has a DCT transmission is not related to the stalling. Engines need air, fuel and spark to run - so the dealer will be looking at those factors to find the problem.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Properly stated: the engine stalled. Most likely, the fact that it has a DCT transmission is not related to the stalling. Engines need air, fuel and spark to run - so the dealer will be looking at those factors to find the problem.
I guess that's right. The DCT box can do its best to avoid a stall, but if there is some problem with fuel feed or spark, then it's beyond what the DCT can rescue.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here. Happened 3 times in about 1500km in the same conditions described by true ad Venture. My previous bike, NC750x DCT never stalled in 9500km.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Must have something to do with engine management instead of DCT.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the bike to the Honda shop. The mechanic plugged the bike into the computer and scanned the ECU for errors but found none. Because of that, he didn't know what would have caused the stalls, but opted to do factory reset of the ECU just to be on the safe side. Since then I've put on about 1,000 km and haven't had any stalling issues.

So I'm hoping that's the end of it, fingers crossed. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is stalling too!

Hiya,

I got my AT DCT in August 2016 and It has stalled around 9 times. I have taken to a different dealer that I bought from as I think they are crap. The dealer sought advice from Honda a checked things, did a reset and changed the right hand switch gear.

I picked it up and within 250 miles, it stalled on me once again.

I then took it back to the original dealer who stated they want an opportunity to look at the bike, I explained all the work that was carried out at the other dealer and said to cal them direct for a list of all completed work.

They have had the bike over a week now and called to say they are going to change the switch gear! (Did they not listen to me at all!). So I'm expecting this error to still be present.

With that in mind I will make sure my Go Pro is on to capture it stalling again and then ask for a new AT or a refund. This is real problem that I feel is dangerous.

If any of you google Honda Africa Twin DCT Stall, you will see my video.

This is so frustrating, I love the bike, but now wish I had bought a KTM!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stalled again

The bike has stalled again after around 500 miles since it was last looked at. I am sad, but had to take it back. I have asked for my money back, the dealer said they will contact Honda. So let's see.

This is the first Honda I've ever had and regret it so much!

·
Registered
21 Posts
A friend has the DCT, and it is now for over 3 weeks with the dealer.
when the engine is warm and he stops, the DCT won´t shift anymore. The dealer has now idea how to deal with it. -they are just trying to change pieces but have no clue. He told me something about a sensor that indicates the side stand is open. Has anyone heard about another case that the bike just won´t go anymore?? (I have a manual, 21000km no problems.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just got off the phone with Honda about my AT DCT stalling and they said that I was the first person that has ever called them about it. They recommended taking it to the dealer and letting them try to replicate it, which I suspect is impossible to do. Honda did say if more people called in, there might be more action on this from them. So if you've had the issue, let them know. 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST.

·
Registered
83 Posts
+1 on calling Honda directly. I'll be getting my 18 ATAS DCT at the end of the month and will be following this closely. Hoping for the best for you guys having troubles. My ATAS will be my 7th Honda and the other 6 were/are solid as a rock reliable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 on calling Honda directly. I'll be getting my 18 ATAS DCT at the end of the month and will be following this closely. Hoping for the best for you guys having troubles. My ATAS will be my 7th Honda and the other 6 were/are solid as a rock reliable.
Hopefully the '18 models don't have this issue since they switched over to Throttle By Wire. On my 2017, it's throttle-by-cable and my guess is that if I open the throttle too fast at just the wrong time, the engine can't deal with it and stalls. With Throttle By Wire, they should be able to avoid this with the software.

Good luck with your new ATAS!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts