Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Do you need to use the back brake when taking off?

• Mostly

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Never

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 9 21.4%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just posting this in response to a question by @DoubleThumper in another thread.

If you have a DCT Africa twin is it quite severe on take off in as much as you need to use the back brake to tame it a bit?
I had to on my 2021 AT as the take off was fierce and abrupt but on my 2022 it is not needed as the take off is very smooth and controlled.

EDIT
I have just changed the poll so that you can choose two options as I have had one that needed it and one that does not :D

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have written the poll better as I don't know how to vote :D
I think I will change it to make it possible to choose 2 options as I have had both :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
It only happened to me once when I started out of control, but I didn't use the rear brake. And the bike had just been started and warmed up. Now what I do is start in D mode and then when I'm on the road I put the S1 or S2. I'm used to always having two fingers on the front brake and I accelerate with the rest of my hand... Very smoothly...

·
Registered
'22 ATAS ES DCT
47 Posts
When I started off, it was bad. Was constantly using back brake. Over time I've gotten used to it and know how to launch off at traffic lights etc. Every now and again I'm caught off guard, old habits / muscle memory get the better of me and it lurches forward. It's different from other bikes I've had so now it's a case of me having to adapt.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin DCT
15 Posts
My 2020 DCT throttle roll-on is VERY touchy. If I’m simply going straight on pavement it’s a non-issue, but I ride National Forest roads and motor trails about 50% of the time. The throttle response is much more abrupt than any other motorcycle I’ve ever owned even when maximizing the power intervention setting. A couple of millimeters in throttle rotation (at least on my AT) can be the difference in a normal start and wild acceleration. I’m somewhat used to it now, but still need the brake when the bike is scrabbling for initial traction.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Just posting this in response to a question by @DoubleThumper in another thread.

If you have a DCT Africa twin is it quite severe on take off in as much as you need to use the back brake to tame it a bit?
I had to on my 2021 AT as the take off was fierce and abrupt but on my 2022 it is not needed as the take off is very smooth and controlled.

EDIT
I have just changed the poll so that you can choose two options as I have had one that needed it and one that does not :D
I'm not sure whether you are connecting the 'severe take off' with the problem of surging/hesitation. If so then with both of my Africa Twins, that has not been the case. Both have had bad surging, but neither of them has had any problem with smooth take-offs from a standing start.
Mike

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure whether you are connecting the 'severe take off' with the problem of surging/hesitation. If so then with both of my Africa Twins, that has not been the case. Both have had bad surging, but neither of them has had any problem with smooth take-offs from a standing start.
Mike
Well mine had that on/off surging at low speed as well which was largely corrected with the throttle spacers but when I touched the throttle the bike would jump forward at a good rate of knots and the only way to contain it was to use the back brake. I could not take off smoothly without using the rear brake unless I was going straight and wanted to launch very fast. It was as if the clutch engagement was very harsh, no slipping engagement at all. I did try the DCT initialisation but that made no difference at all.
On my 2022 things are totally different, I hardly, if at all, need to touch the rear brake, I can even kind of blip the throttle and the bike will smoothly move forward, if I did that on the 2021 it would launch me 6ft.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to add the throttle spacers did tame the severe take off slightly as it took the free play out so you could be certain when you turned the throttle slightly you were actually turning it rather than having to first take up the free play. It was still there however and when I got the 2022 the difference was night and day and was as it should be.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've got a 2019 AT with TBW. Never had a problem with surging. The reaction is instantaneous so I just ride according to the bike's reaction to the throttle input. There is no slack before the throttle engages the power. I'm not trying to teach my Granny to suck eggs here but there is a big difference between unexpected and dangerous surges of power versus simply too much throttle or a cold engine....or both. I love the way my bike rides and it just gets better the more I get used to it.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got a 2019 AT with TBW. Never had a problem with surging. The reaction is instantaneous so I just ride according to the bike's reaction to the throttle input. There is no slack before the throttle engages the power. I'm not trying to teach my Granny to suck eggs here but there is a big difference between unexpected and dangerous surges of power versus simply too much throttle or a cold engine....or both. I love the way my bike rides and it just gets better the more I get used to it.
At first I thought it was maybe me just because I hadn't had a bike for 25 years, I got used to it, learned how to control it but I know it wasn't right simply by the fact that my 2022 behaves exactly as it should so I have direct comparison between a good one and a bad one.
I still loved the 2021 but I love the 2022 even more :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts