Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was returning home from a very wet long weekend (3 days) ride when I stopped at a fuel station to refuel the bike (210km from home).
When I restareted the bike it wouldn't go into the drive mode.
I checked that the side stand was up and it was.
Between rain showers I cleaned the area around the side stand switch, disconnected and reconnected the battery (what a pain), sprayed WD40 into the switch gear, checked the fuzes and reset the computer.
No change.
While waiting I checked this Forum for ideas and that's where I found the info ref resetting the computer.
Six hours later my brother turned up and we loaded the bike onto a trailer and three hours later we were home.
Have delivered the bike to the local Honda dealer and they can't look at it until next Monday.
I'm lucky it didn't happen while I was riding in the high country by myself (people knew where I was going), as I had no cell phone coverage.
Has anyone had a problem like this?

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
578 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant, but my manual is having switch contact problems in the left-hand housing. The headlight switch is having problems making good contact in high beam. This started after riding several hours in a heavy rain storm at freeway speeds. SkipD has mentioned the housings are not sealed. I'm going to open mine up and spray some dielectric cleaner in the switches and see if that helps. You may be having a similar issue as it sounds like you were also riding in the wet?

Reactions: lifebehindbars

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this problem a few months ago. It ended up being my battery being bad. It had enough power to start the bike but the voltage would drop so low when starting the bike wouldn't go into gear after. It didn't make a difference if I let it idle for a bit and try again, it wouldn't go into gear. Changed the battery and no problem since.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys! so it turns out, yes... The battery being bad can cause issues with the dct. I replaced the battery and it 100% resolved the issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Hey guys! so it turns out, yes... The battery being bad can cause issues with the dct. I replaced the battery and it 100% resolved the issue.
Sounds like three years is the warning period to consider fetching a replacement.

This summer two of my computer UPSs died right on the three year mark. I usually get four+ years, but in any case, battery replacement (12V AGMs) solved the problem.

Not all batteries are created equal. Typical: You get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts