Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
YES from me too, even though i bought a MANUAL AT ... but i enjoyed 4 years of DCT ownership with the VRF1200X Crosstourer

DCT just has a couple of things that it is unable to achieve off-road and the extra cost was also an issue for me

I am happy to have owned both

Ian

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There is an interesting comment in their test results about one of the D-mode runs being faster than the S-mode.
There is some evidence that Honda have built in a learning mode to the DCT box and further evidence that if they have, they have done it only for D-mode.
So the theory goes that if D-mode detects that you regularly blast the bike, it will move it's change points to later than otherwise.
The fly in that particular theoretical ointment is that it's supposed to only move D- mode towards S-mode (not past it)
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
A big YES from me. I don't miss the hand clutch. Especially riding around town or congestion. Haven't taken offroad yet, but plan to go through some soft sand, i am sure the dct would be better in sand.

You have more time to concentrate on your surroundings and much more alert to the road and cars. I installed the optional foot pedal on the dct, its like having a quick shifter, good for down shifting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Optional pedal? Tell me more...
It's a foot operated shift pedal that fits where the standard shift pedal goes but actuates an electrical switch plugged into the DCT wiring harness and "talks" with the DCT controller (ECU?) allowing up and down shifts with your foot (still no hand clutch). Nice accessory for riders with a lot of muscle memory to overcome from years of riding with a conventional transmission. But not really necessary once you master the paddle shifters and maybe vulnerable to damage in off-road spills.

Honda part number: 08U70-MJP-A80 list price $300 USD, less here:http://www.procaliber.com/oemcatalogs/p/honda_motorcycle_offroad_2016_africa_twin_dct/honda_accessories-electrical/57adefee87a8661160bf592d/dct-foot-shifter

·
Registered
72 Posts
dct for me, like it on road and is great off road takes a little while to figure it out, and you still can use it like a manual if you want, I use it in auto mode up hill most of the time [off road] down hill manual mode some time if I want the bike to coast more. You will not be disappointed if you buy a dct and learn how to use it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This answered a few questions I had. I really love my DCT

world.honda.com/tech-views/motor/g-switch_stc/interview/index.htm

Copy and paste into browser. Due to post count I can not post direct link

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went out on a limb and tried the DCT. I like it. I put it in S3 mode and push the D button and it shifts great. It will be interesting when I grab one of my other bikes and ride it for the first time after the DCT. Hopefully I wont stall it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For me the DCT was the reason that I chose the Africa Twin over other ADV bikes. I live in a big city and the bike is my alternative means of transport. Going thru city and highway traffic using the clutch and shift pedal constantly is ....... unnerving to me.

Additionally I am 50+ years old and just getting back onto a bike after 30 years, Back in the 80's I had a Susuki 250 But the riding skills have deteriorated over the years. So anything that makes riding easier is essential at this stage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me it's defenetly NO, for meny reasons:
1: you can't change the gear ratio, or the sistem goes nuts
2:you can't do proper off road with no clutch
3: i only do off road.......
For the rest, it works well and is easy to ride.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For me it's defenetly NO,
2:you can't do proper off road with no clutch
A little harsh I think, whilst it is not for everyone you can do fantastic off road on the DCT. You may not have the same feathering control but it also has advantages and for many beginners and pros alike it is just great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it's a great sistem, but not for me.....,yes you can do off road, but i can't imagine doing tit tecnical singel tracks with this sistem,,,for more open tracks, im sure it works perfectli,,,,
chek out some of my vids, on my youtube channel:sickman46

1 - 19 of 19 Posts