Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of what could go wrong to keep me from getting home on my DCT. One thing that stood out was a dead/weak battery because you can't push start a DCT. I once had a battery fail me on my Transalp. Had I been on my DCT AT I would have been out of luck. Most people don't carry jumper cables on their motorcycles and the big clamps on auto jumpers can't always get connected to the little motorcycle terminals.

I now have motorcycle jumper cables as standard equipment in my tool kit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was thinking of what could go wrong to keep me from getting home on my DCT. One thing that stood out was a dead/weak battery because you can't push start a DCT. I once had a battery fail me on my Transalp. Had I been on my DCT AT I would have been out of luck. Most people don't carry jumper cables on their motorcycles and the big clamps on auto jumpers can't always get connected to the little motorcycle terminals.

I now have motorcycle jumper cables as standard equipment in my tool kit.
Great Idea!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have thought of getting a 12v Power Bank. Could be the answer if you are by yourself in the middle of nowhere with a flat battery.
Also handy for charging your phone, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have thought of getting a 12v Power Bank. Could be the answer if you are by yourself in the middle of nowhere with a flat battery.
Also handy for charging your phone, etc.
That's what I'm carrying - designed to jump a car battery and smaller than standard jumper cables.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i had that problem the day i was taking my DCT Crosstourer in to px it for my AT. A lens fell out of my spectacles so i pulled over and used the engine stop button whilst i fiddled about trying to replace it back into the frame. it took me ages sat astride the bike but little did i realise i had left the ignition switch turned ON and the headlamp/lights had more or less killed the battery. i ended up asking a friend to come in his car and bring jumpleads with him!!! Another reason i bought a Manual version AT

(PS i loved the DCT CT)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a NOCO Genius GB40 booster pack that has worked for me a few times. Including the big alligator clips it takes up as much space as a small cheap 12V air compressor. It claims to be able to boost up to a 6 liter gas engine. The first time I used it I thought it was crap, it did nothing but later on I discovered the trick to using them. They claim 1000 amp boost on the package but that's just wrong, at least at -25*C it was wrong.

I discovered that I had to leave it connected and turned on for about 30 minutes before it pushed enough juice into my dead truck battery (4.0 litre v6) to start. Another time I tried to boost my wifes 3.4L V6, as soon as you turn the key to start the booster shuts off. You have to then go outside and press power to turn it back on. Then you have to wait for it to slowly charge the battery and try again, and it will start eventually. That's how it works for me anyway. In normal temps it would probably work a lot better.

I also wired a small air compressor to it directly once to air up tires on an amphibious 8 wheeled vehicle with no alternator and I was surprised it worked so well for that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lithium batteries don't like the cold

I have lithium batteries in two of my bikes and have found they do not like cold weather!!! Since all of these boosters use lithium batteries you get problems in the cold. I have been told that if you warm up the boosters first they will work much better. I have found that both my bikes with Lithium batteries are harder to start when it is very cold. I live in Texas so we don't have too many days that get cold enough to cause a problem however I will not use Lithium batteries again. But I will get a power booster as backup anyway. They are small and portable so you should be able to warm it up enough to get you going.

I have a Shorai in one bike and another brand ( I can't remember) in the other. If it were not for the cold weather problem I would recommend them highly even with the higher cost. I guy I know from a Goldwing site says when really cold he will turn on the ignition and let the light run for a several minutes and that warms the battery enough to crank the bike.
I hope this makes sense. I just got in from a long drive and I'm tired. Hey, getting old is a drag...... but it beats the alternatives. :wink2:

Ti04

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have lithium batteries in two of my bikes and have found they do not like cold weather!!!
I don't think any batteries like the cold haha. To be fair the huge 90 pound 1150CCA AGM that's rated over 2000 amps in normal temps, and the brand new 1000CCA lead acid batteries were both unable to start their vehicles on these days. But the tiny lithium polymer G40 pack was able to start them eventually so I'd have to say that the lithium battery was better off than the others in the given temps.

I would think the pack would spin up a tiny moto battery like nothing in the same circumstance, but who wants to ride in -25 temps :laugh:.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jump Starter and 12V Power Kit for AT DCT

As a project I decided to make up an emergency starter kit for my 2017 AT DCT. Just insurance for when I leave the non-switched Garmin Montana running overnight.

Not that I have had any problems after 16k miles since Jan 2-18.

Researched and selected the Arteck 7A, 12000 mAa. Currently $48 from Amazon prime.

The standard crocodile clips could never reach the AT's hidden battery. So, since I have an SAE adapter installed next to the seat release lock, an alternative cable was needed. Also, since I wanted to use it as a 12V power source for air compressor, heated jacket away from bike etc, another cable was needed for that. I was able to locate the same male and female cable ends as used in the original jump start adapter to make up the new cables.

In order the attached pictures show:
1. Arteck kit as supplied with large clips.
2. Connector inserted in cable from jump start smart adapter, but still usable on cars and other motorcycles.
3. Clips extension swapped out for an SAE connector which I can use on my WR 250R or AT DCT.
4. For use as a 12V power source to any SAE connector.
5. Connected to a portable air compressor.
6. As jump starter on my WR 250R.
7. Panel mount SAE power source on my AT DCT.
8. Jump start set up on my AT.

Total weight 37oz or 590 grams.
The connectors can be found on Amazon under "Hobbypark 5 Pairs EC5 Banana Plug Connectors Female Male 5.0mm Gold Bullet Connector".

It all seems to work, although I have not done a real test by completely depleting the AT's battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a project I decided to make up an emergency starter kit for my 2017 AT DCT. Just insurance for when I leave the non-switched Garmin Montana running overnight.

Researched and selected the Arteck 7A, 12000 mAa. Currently $48 from Amazon prime.

The standard crocodile clips could never reach the AT's hidden battery. So, since I have an SAE adapter installed next to the seat release lock, an alternative cable was needed. Also, since I wanted to use it as a 12V power source for air compressor, heated jacket away from bike etc, another cable was needed for that. I was able to locate the same male and female cable ends as used in the original jump start adapter to make up the new cables.

2. Connector inserted in cable from jump start smart adapter, but still usable on cars and other motorcycles.
3. Clips extension swapped out for an SAE connector which I can use on my WR 250R or AT DCT.

The connectors can be found on Amazon under "Hobbypark 5 Pairs EC5 Banana Plug Connectors Female Male 5.0mm Gold Bullet Connector".

It all seems to work, although I have not done a real test by completely depleting the AT's battery.
Nice write up , thanks for the info. 37 oz = 1,049 grams however :smile2:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've bought this: https://www.thepodx.com/Motorcycle-Jump-starter-cable-p/pod-tender-cable.htm
I'm going to hook this onto the battery permanently and store it in the toolbox, this way I'll have a way of jump starting the bike if/when the battery gets old and fails. Obviously I would replace the battery ASAP after the first sign of trouble, but I don't want to be stranded prior to replacing a failing battery.

I've already removed the tools from the toolbox, they don't look very useful anyway. I have a Bumot lockable toolbox attached to my pannier rack, this is way better than the stupid little plastic toolbox beside the battery. I'm going to cut a hole in the toolbox to allow me to tuck the jumper cable in it. I've also got a cable that connects to that jumper cable and has a couple of banana plugs, I'll keep that on the bike so I can use any jump starter or jumper cables with my permanently mounter jump starter cable - so even if my portable jump starter is faulty, I'll be able to use anyone's portable jump starter or jumper leads from any vehicle.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Nice write up, but I can see one very big problem with using your set up for jump starting the AT, sae connectors are rated for only 10 amps current draw, I expect the AT will draw well over 100amps on start up causing your wiring to melt & fuse together, possibly causing a fire & burning your AT to the ground in a worst case scenario. If you want to jump start the AT I would put a separate HD jump start cable hooked up straight to the battery or + on the starter motor, I was just looking on here today as I want to do the same thing & I am trying to find the current draw of the AT on start up so I can use the correct size connectors, I will most likely use Anderson plugs

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just made a jump start kit for my DCT, I used 8 gauge wire, its around the same size wire as the AT main battery wire so there shouldn't be any voltage loss to cause starting issues or a fire, I already had the wire so just had to buy the Anderson plugs & the battery pack, Total cost $45 for the complete kit & about 1 hrs work. I fitted a couple of Anderson plugs to the battery pack so I could swap between the Anderson plug for the DCT & the alligator clips to connect straight to a battery. Did a test on the kit after draining the DCT's battery, bike started as normal.
Just on a side note: A jump start kit would be handy for the manuals as well, if their battery goes flat, the fuel pump wont operate so they wont be able to push start their bikes like they presume

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts