Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted a Black Widow exhaust decat with a remus end can.
The lambda sensor was easier to remove than first thought.
Headers were a fiddle but eventually all went together. Worst part was fitting the springs, at the headers but patience got them sorted and a good hook tool.
Very tightly fitted around the frame but a good product.
Cables next, trying to fit the large connectors through small gaps but finally fitted and connected with the unit located in under the rear seat with velcro.
Sounds amazing, can't wait to go for a test ride.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
Pretty sure the manufacturer‘s say that it should be remapped for a full system, you seriously change the exhausts back pressure and flow rate on (as with most all motors) an engine factory tuned to run a lean as it reliably can.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Pretty sure the manufacturer‘s say that it should be remapped for a full system, you seriously change the exhausts back pressure and flow rate on (as with most all motors) an engine factory tuned to run a lean as it reliably can.
Not sure what Rapid Bike unit he has installed (so that may be trying to resolve the fueling requirements) but to your point, in a 1000L when you pull the CAT it changes all the mid RPM fueling requirements there will be a bunch more HP getting those fixed as you said. The AT actually runs a bit rich (strange I know) at high RPMs with no CAT and the secondary air supply disabled.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Rapid bike evo installed on my Atas. A noticeable improvement accross the range. It pulls stronger right through with no more bogging/stuttering round town.
My fuel gauge tells me its using more fuel but I haven't checket that yet.
I am having a Lextek system fitted in a couple weeks and they tell me they can connect up to the Rapid bike and adjust as necessary.
I know the Evo is auto adjust so not sure what that will do but it will be interesting to see how its running regards mixture.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Akrapovic state that a retune is not necessary with their full competition system & I believe them as mine runs perfectly fine with the standard tune with the full Akrapovic comp system, doesn't run lean or pop much more on decel than with the standard system, header pipe colour is normal, plugs look good, not running lean, no hesitation when throttle pinned from idle, I did try a Boost plug for a while just for interest sake & found all it did was make the bike run rich & deaden the power so I removed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fitted a Black Widow exhaust decat with a remus end can.
The lambda sensor was easier to remove than first thought.
Headers were a fiddle but eventually all went together. Worst part was fitting the springs, at the headers but patience got them sorted and a good hook tool.
Very tightly fitted around the frame but a good product.
Cables next, trying to fit the large connectors through small gaps but finally fitted and connected with the unit located in under the rear seat with velcro.
Sounds amazing, can't wait to go for a test ride.
I considered the same system but eventually bought an arrow full system and got the bike remapped by Geoff at hilltop, sounds fantastic and much smoother at low speed, an expensive option compared to the black widow but now the money’s been spent I don’t think about it, hope yours works out as well as mine has.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm more than happy with this setup. The rapid bike easy really does a good job. Bike is now shifting gears sooner than I'd like but soon sort that out. Spent a lot on this bike already so went for the cheaper option but have no regrets yet, time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
Akrapovic state that a retune is not necessary with their full competition system & I believe them as mine runs perfectly fine with the standard tune with the full Akrapovic comp system, doesn't run lean or pop much more on decel than with the standard system, header pipe colour is normal, plugs look good, not running lean, no hesitation when throttle pinned from idle, I did try a Boost plug for a while just for interest sake & found all it did was make the bike run rich & deaden the power so I removed it.
But they suggest that you do. Pretty much any full system that removes the cat suggest a retune. Sure our bikes will run without..

Reactions: SkipD

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a link for the information from the manufacturers saying about the remap?

·
Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
Do you have a link for the information from the manufacturers saying about the remap?
Wrote and asked......... Crap! Can’t think of who... Arrow? But, the answer was; for just the can - nothing needs to be done, designed to be “plug-n-play” and work with the OEM setup. Full system upgrade they suggest a retune. My original question to them was just about their recommendations on adding a can...
Again; it was not required just suggested, I’m guessing it is just suggested to get the most out of the new exhaust system. After all Honda is constrained by regulations of emissions, fuel economy, noise, then they have to tie than in with longevity. We as owners are not restricted, well except for noise, most countries have laws on that for public road use.
But as far as actual remap setting and files they are out there and if you are looking for a certain setup for your system, I would write the manufacturer and ask..

·
Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
Their dyno charts are done without a ecu tune
I would expect it to be done that way, otherwise it would skew the results.

Anyone could get better HP and torque by just retuning the bike with out any kinda aftermarket part,

Honda has a lot of restraints. I’m confident they (Honda) could make that engine scream and double the output. But then they wouldn’t be able to sell it because it wouldn’t meet fuel economy standards or noise restrictions and even if those restrictions weren’t there, not to many people would buy a bike with a engine that would HAVE to be rebuilt after 2 hours of use. It is a simple fact getting more HP & torque equals more heat and strain out of the same CC’s..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts