Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings folks, I've been reading the forum for a while and recently went to my local dealer to see a ATAS DCT in the flesh. I have a question before I sign on the dotted line, how much better is the 18 bike at full price worth getting over a 17 bike with a good discount? I've been away from biking for 8 years and have never owned a new bike. Am I going to be impressed enough by the older bike anyway that it isn't worth spending the extra 5k for the new model? Cheers in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The ATAS is a completely different bike, compare to a standard AT and the previous pre-update. If you were looking at an AT 18 against an AT 17, if there was a £2.5k saving and money was tight, I’d say get the 17. But the AT 17 compared to the ATAS, you can’t really compare due to the major differences.

I got a great deal on my ATAS dct, so don’t listen to anyone who tells you there aren’t any deals. Heads up for a deal on an ATAS manual if anyone interested, used, but basically new, on eBay, £10799 with 7 miles on it. Nothing to do with me, just saw it on bay yesterday.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good question my friend, to honest if the money is an issue, your going to be more than happy with the older bike. However, the new bikes have lots of little improvements, some where there was an issue with the older bike and some that are just extra new additions. Plus, if you go for the ATAS, obviously you are getting the larger tank and longer suspension, rear rack and of course the lovely 30th Anniversary colour scheme.

Push hard for a discount, they say there isn’t any, but look at what extras you might need, pannier, center stand etc. Try to get these as part of the deal.

Ultimately it’s down to you, can you justify that extra cost for the latest bike.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
May be it's me but I couldn't ever see me buying an older model new over the newer model new, regardless of the price difference. I get my AFAS next week with no discount but the deal I'm getting on trading my GS in is an offer I can't refuse.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
I had a demo on an Adventure Sport this week. rode my 16 Twin to the dealer, the Sport is a very nice update and I may consider one when my bike is three years old. If I was buying new I would deffo go for the Sport. Riding home on my bike I didn't notice a massive difference but the Sport is a little more sprightly and noisey. The only negative for me was the dash/instruments, it was a very sunny day and all I could see on it was my white Shoei helmet and the speed, everything else on there seemed a bit fussy but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I had a good look over it and although the spokes looked good the nipples were a bit tarnished! The bike looks stunning in the flesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind the new AFAS is the best looking adventure bike on the market, biased ?? Perhaps but this will be my 4th big adventure bike and unquestionably the best looking.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cabby, have to agree, again biased, but I’ve had many BM GS and GSA’s, this is without doubt the best looking ADV bike. :grin2:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ptwin,

Don't tease me like this! Where in the world in Texas did you find a 2018 ATAS to demo?
I am in Fort Worth and am hoping it was nearby.
Thanks!

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm in the UK for 10 months, all the dealer network have demo bikes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OMG. I am losing it. I thot I saw "Texas" on your post, but now I see that is not true. My apologies for losing my mind, hopefully temporarily.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts