Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

Apologies in advance for a topic that's been beaten to death.... I'm on the fence with getting a Garmin XT, and currently have an iPhone 13 pro running rever. I live in CA and am planning some BDR routes in then ext few weeks. I've got the fancy quad lock anti vibration charging station for the iPhone and its super slick. Just wondering if I need the additional capabilities of a dedicated GPS. Maybe I'd be good with offline maps on my phone and an emergency sat beacon in case **** goes south?

Thank you in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've used Rever for a couple of tours (in Carplay mode on my CRF1100) and was ok for visually following the track on the display (I'm EU based). The good thing about Rever is that you can plan on PC and then follow the track on the (i)phone. However I feel a specialized device (a true GPS navigation device) is always a better choice. If you're alone a personal locator beacon is always a good idea, esp. in the backcountry.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thought that recently the buzz in the news was that phones can be damaged due to shock when bar mounted....also, practically speaking, if any one of multiple failures occur then your expensive phone (and communications device) could be in pieces on the ground. Once or twice I've used a phone on the bars on lower speeds pavement riding but wouldn't consider it off-road. Good luck with whatever you go with

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
404 Posts
I'm in the redundancy camp, as well. Phones will overheat in the sun and shut down, just when you wish they would not. I also have had difficulty tracking on offline maps, from time to time, when a phone couldn't see the GPS sats.

Garmin Zumo XT has been flawless, so far. Phone makes a great backup, just incase something goes sidways.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
404 Posts
Questions for those who have them - do you run the power directly to the battery, usb to the dash, other?
I had already installed an Eastern Beaver PC8 relay/fuse panel that connected to the battery and a tail light connector for a switched power signal. This gives me the option to easily tie devices in to either switched or unswitched power without the evil associated with accessing the battery.

I chose to put the Garmin Zumo XT on a switched circuit. If I turn the bike off for a stop, but want to keep the connection active, the Garmin displays a message that says it is going to shut itself off, unless I touch "cancel" on the screen. If I hit cancel, then it runs on it's built in battery while maintaining connection to phone and helmet headset.

If I am not paying attention and it turns off, no big deal, stuff reconnects relatively reliably when I start the bike again. Sometimes I have to hit start on the music, but that is about it for drama.

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
My only problem so far when using a RAM X-Grip mounted Android phone for GPS purposes is keeping the USB-C connector dry during rain riding. I am just too lazy to bother, but I really should try harder.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I too have just got an iphone 13 promax and have had to invest in quadlock rather than the pretty good RAm stuff I was using with the iphone 8 plus. It's looking Ok so far - particularly the anti-vibe mount and also the poncho thing, plus the waterproofing is better (the quadlock usb C plug has special sealing flanges that I couldnt find on any other cables.
Why use a phone? - I prefer to just have one device to consider for music, satnav, payment, text messages, active live traffic updates. I settled on Copilot for IoS and it cost me 25 quid about 5 years ago - I get regular free map updates and I pay annually 7 quid for the active traffic function. I find it good enough to do all my route planning on the iphone. And it just clicks into a wireless mount in my rather old Lexus that always had a useless satnav system (and wanted £180 to update the CD's every now and then).
Mike

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
343 Posts
Have 2 montanas and beat the hell out of 1. Colorado at least 6 times on the drz, same to NC Smokey mountain’s. Every local ride and 2 bikes so far and it just keeps going. Have the spare but only use it to charge the battery. Why they are discontinued I don’t know

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
271 Posts
just pulled the trigger on the sumo xt and Touratech mount for it. Stoked! will arrive in 3-4 days. Planning a solo ride around death valley in a few weeks and want the piece of mind.
I did too. I have a Montana but don’t really like it for riding. It’s ok for hunting…
My iPhone 10 is ok also but not really the right solution either.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi friends,

Apologies in advance for a topic that's been beaten to death.... I'm on the fence with getting a Garmin XT, and currently have an iPhone 13 pro running rever. I live in CA and am planning some BDR routes in then ext few weeks. I've got the fancy quad lock anti vibration charging station for the iPhone and its super slick. Just wondering if I need the additional capabilities of a dedicated GPS. Maybe I'd be good with offline maps on my phone and an emergency sat beacon in case **** goes south?

Thank you in advance for any insight!
I prefer a dedicated GPS plugged into the power point on the dash. I keep my phone in a pocket or holster hoping that will reduce damage to the phone if something undesired should happen. The phone can be used as back up and if it does survive an unexpected get off, it can be used to call for assistance. There was also a recent press release from Apple recommending their phones should not be mounted on motorcycle handlebars as the vibration can damage the optics in the camera lens. Considering the replacement cost of new cell phones, a dedicated GPS can now be treated as an inexpensive sacrificial lamb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts