Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from North Carolina....
I, like many of you, have purchased a 2016 CRF1000. Mine is the red, manual transmission model.
I will be outfitting it for highway and off-road use.
Since I spent all my money on the bike, I now have to get creative in up-fitting the bike.
I'm fairly handy, so I plan on making a lot of the upgrades in my shop.... using only stone knives and bear skins.
I'll try to keep you posted on these in case you want/need to make your own parts also.

(If you are wondering about the name "DEET", it was given to me by the vintage Yamaha Enduro community from my work on "DT" enduros.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Foot Pegs, Footpegs

I think the stock pegs are adequate for most road use. They could be a bit longer and wider.

Other pegs are available and vary from $25 to $150... maybe more.
The cheap ones look to be cast metal. I would not trust them to hold my weight coming off a jump or if I was running down a washboard road standing up.

I didn't see any of the aftermarket pegs that offered a rubber insert. I really like the extra vibration isolation when riding on the road.

So, if the Honda pegs were just a little bit wider and longer, they would be ideal.

Let's see if we can do that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Subscribing to see how this goes.

Is it Dee-T or Deet?

My previous Yamaha DT experience tells me Dee-T.:grin2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Footpegs

So now that the welding is done (and I don't claim to make the prettiest welds), I wanted to finish them with black paint.

I have access to a zinc plating facility, and the yellow chromate zinc plating is the best base for paint.

But (as usual) every time I plate something, I like the finish so much that I don't want to paint over it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tool Box Screws

If you are like me, the first thing that you did was open the tool box (only to find it was empty).

The NEXT thing you did was to remove the shifter arm and sprocket cover to retrieve the tool box screw that fell behind it!!!!! Arrrggghhh!!!!

What a pain. And the little swivel joints don't un-snap... you have to remove the arm.

So, the next thing I did was to make tool bracket retaining screws with lanyards so THAT never happens again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pillion Rear Seat Screws

Another thing I didn't like was having to use a wrench to remove the rear pillion seat. It has some storage space that can be accessed....but not quickly.

So I made some T-Handle screws that replace the stock ones.
Now I can remove the two screws by hand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tools Tool Kit

While I am here, I will mention a couple of tool choices that I have added....

Since I am addicted to plating.... I had to plate them.

You may notice a front axle nut adapter that I made so it can be used with the other common wrenches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As I'm not too technical could you advise on what basic tool size/type we should carry for minor adjustment, tightening and wheel removal for punctures etc to have on the bike

·
Registered
76 Posts
As I'm not too technical could you advise on what basic tool size/type we should carry for minor adjustment, tightening and wheel removal for punctures etc to have on the bike
Type 'tool kit' in search bar at top of page and you will find specific threads on required tools etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts