Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone use the skene dimmer to do this? I'm planning on 10% dimming my super bright fog lights and turning on and dimming the high beam bulb on low beam switch (for symmetry), and everything full on on high beam. Also planning a switch to disable the fogs for some jurisdictions. I'm going to be using the IQ-270A dimmer.

drive.google.com/file/d/1QzymTq7X4LfgutJoa689dm4DDrfBmd_z/view
(paste into browser... not enough posts to put a link in yet)

Thanks.
Rambo

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure why you would want to ride around with full beam and super bright fogs on all the time (even if you dim them 10%). All you’lll do is dazzle every other road user and really annoy them, plus it’s illegal. If your doing it to be seen, your defeating the object really, as drivers will know your there (due to being dazzled) but won’t be able to judge how far away you are, or how fast you going and may still pull out on you, as it’s much more difficult to judge distance and speed when you cannot define a a solid object, due to the glare from all the lights. You may also want to consider, if someone does knock you off your bike, the law may prosecute you for driving with inappropriate lights on, dazzling other road users and an insurance company may refuse to payout any claim.

If you going to run with fogs on, better to make sure there angled below the horizon, so they do not dazzle or blind other road users and you can then say they are daytime running lights. Denali do the D2 fog lights that has a 50% dimmable setting, from the full beam switch.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry Rambo, thought you wanted to go full lighthouse effect. I’m going to run Denali D2 for drl on the dim setting and full power when full beam is switched on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a white 2 pin connector above the high beam that has a black and white wire entering the headlight assembly. The high beam is the white wire, low beam the black. A separate black plug provides power and ground and is untouched. My plan is to insert male and female white sumitomo hm090 2 pin connectors between the existing plugs. The low beam black wire will pass straight through. The high beam white connection will be broken and the skene dimmer output will take it's place. Adding these 2 new plugs means leaving all the factory wiring and plugs untouched. Will update progress later as the connectors are on order.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Subscribed!

Finding time alone to work on the bike so I can start riding has been very challenging ever since I got married last September. It's been over 6 months since I logged on here.

Anyhow, I was able to find time to work on the AF yesterday and was finally able to sort out the wiring for the Fog Light/Highbeam/Indicator/Illuminating OEM FL switch using the main OEM foglight switch or OEM highbeam switch. Boy was I super excited! Cuz I'm seriously mentally challenged when it comes to electrical stuff. I ended up using the 4 pin plug to power the fog lights since I needed to tap into the fog light indicator & illuminate the OEM fog light switch.

Was about to wrap everything but something just didn't feel right. Oh, that's it...the darn cyclops headlight was ruining the whole fog light theme. So, google search led me to this thread.

I hope everything works out for you, and will patiently wait for your update.

Here are some pics of my setup.

DRL:

All Foglights turns on: Not sure why the Rigid Industries have an amber tint to them because in-person they don't look amberish.

With HB switch turned on, gauge Instrument displays both HB & Foglight indicator on + backlight illuminating OEM foglight switch:

My setup allows me to turn on the foglights + HB using the OEM HB switch or OEM foglight switch. However, it will not allow me to turn off foglights using the OEM foglight switch if I had originally turned them on using the HB switch, and vice versa.

·
Registered
335 Posts
These guys make a kit to have your high beam headlight always on at 40% and then go to 100% on high beam

https://www.doubletronics.com/english.html

These guys do one too but can't make out much as I don't read Dutch...
http://www.doubleheadlights.nl/

Haven't looked into it much so not sure if better or worse than the skene dimmer option but I'm sure one of you guys will like to compare :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts