Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time posting here so bear with me. I'm putting the AT down for the winter here in Minnesota for the first time (bought used in August), it slapped us pretty hard already. I warm up my garage with the bike in there all day. I drain the oil cold and replace the filter. I let it drip over supper. I come back and tighten up the drain plug. The manual says 4.1 liters with a filter change so I put in 3.5 qts and push the bike outside and run it for 10 minutes. I bring it inside and let it sit for 5 minutes and unscrew the dipstick and reinsert it to the threads. The thing reads like an inch over the top line. ????? Great, bad info in the manual. I pull off the skid plate and drain about a half a quart out, reinsert the stick again and it is over an inch still. I drain more out and again checking it it's an inch over. I'm pissed now so I completely drain it, that'll show it who's boss. Much to my dismay it still reads as too full. I tried putting it in at various angles and it still reads the same. I have no idea what could be causing this. I put the oil I drained out back in and left it. There should be enough oil in there to operate it but as far as getting a proper oil level I have no idea how I'm going to do that. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The AT dipstick level seems finicky to me, kind of like my Cannondale dry sump dirt bike wth multiple reservoirs where it takes awhile to learn the procedure to get a repeatable level measurement. My AT is on its 3rd oil change and I've just been filling it with the specified volume and riding it. I'll learn the dipstick trick once it gets a few miles on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something amiss in what you're doing. The AT with filter should take 4.3 US quarts. 3.5 US quarts is only 3.31 litres and a fair bit less than the amount specified.
If it's showing an 1" above the top line then you're screwing the dipstick in for a measurement or you have the wrong dipstick. Worst case scenario, oil level rising, coolant dropping.
I changed mine on a '16 manual with filter and added 4.2 litres, run it for 5 mins, drop the the stick into the hole and it touches the top mark.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
Just reread the original post, "I replaced the drain plug", singular.
Both drain plugs need to be removed to complete the oil drain.
Explains the reduced amount to refill.

Don't forget it is drained while on the side stand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't forget it is drained while on the side stand.
Never done it on a side stand for years, usually run it into a wheel chock or on the centre stand if it has one.
Seems to get the oil out okay if it's been warmed up sufficiently, perhaps worth dropping on to the sidestand to wring out the last few drops I suppose.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
Never done it on a side stand for years, usually run it into a wheel chock or on the centre stand if it has one.
Seems to get the oil out okay if it's been warmed up sufficiently, perhaps worth dropping on to the sidestand to wring out the last few drops I suppose.
The CRF handbook and service manual state to drain the oil while on the sidestand, never understood why people don't follow instructions put in front of them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
The CRF handbook and service manual state to drain the oil while on the sidestand, never understood why people don't follow instructions put in front of them.

I don't have either so I just stick the bike in in the vertical the same as every work shop I've ever been in, Honda main dealers generally follow the same work practices as most others, make bike safe on the bench and get the job done.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
I don't have either so I just stick the bike in in the vertical the same as every work shop I've ever been in, Honda main dealers generally follow the same work practices as most others, make bike safe on the bench and get the job done.
One of the reasons I don't buy used. Drain it on the centre stand then put it on the side and see how much extra comes out, you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One of the reasons I don't buy used. Drain it on the centre stand then put it on the side and see how much extra comes out, you'll be surprised.

I generally tilt the bike both ways once the majority appears to be out including two stroke gearbox oil.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Both drain bolts are on the left side of the bike to allow the oil to drain out on the sidestand as per the manual. It saves you from 'tilting'. Yeah? >:)
Reading the manual and doing it on the sidestand actually saves work and monkeying around. It's the only bike I've had with two drain bolts and without reading the forum and the manual I'd have never guessed.
The manual also says to use the dipstick unscrewed - i.e. just dip it in to check oil level rather than screwing it all the way in.

I generally tilt the bike both ways once the majority appears to be out including two stroke gearbox oil.

Reactions: PTwin

·
Registered
118 Posts
So TigerMike, What did you do wrong? How do you drain all the oil and still have it read 1" overfilled?
Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
133 Posts
So TigerMike, What did you do wrong? How do you drain all the oil and still have it read 1" overfilled?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Read all the posts, the answer is there for inquiring minds. Take out both drain plugs to drain and don't screw the dipstick in to take oil level.
Pumps, oil galleries, gearboxes, oil coolers and other handy spots always ensure that you never completely remove the old oil whether it's tipped on it's side or not.
When I've stripped engines in the past there's always enough oil left to cover a bench in a mess no matter how we've drained the motor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've yet to do the second oil change on mine. I don't remember 2 drain screws, (might have done them both) getting old sucks, it was only last year. Thanks for the heads up, now I'm sure I will remember both! I'm glad I'm not the only person who has brain farts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Manual is a bit confusing. Below is copied form the manual. Says when checking oil level to place bike in an upright position. Is that on the side stand or center stand?

Checking the Engine Oil
1. Place your motorcycle on its side stand on
a firm, level surface.
2. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3
t o 5 minutes.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF
position and wait for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Place your motorcycle in an upright
position on a firm, level surface.

5. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean.
6. Insert the dipstick until It seats, but don't
screw it in.
7. Check that the oil level is between the
upper level and lower level marks on the
dipstick.
8. Securely install the dipstick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can drain the oil any way you can get the oil to drain. Side stand, centerstand, upside down, who cares? Yes there are two drain plugs. Use them both. Try this next time: remove one drain plug and let it drain. Remove second drain plug and see how much more you get. There must be something dividing the two halves of the crankcase internally because you get quite a lot out from the second hole.

The reason the manual says to drain it on the side stand is because that is the only stand the stock bike has and they don’t want you to turn it upside down. You will actually get a little bit more out if the bike is vertical. Don’t take my word for it. If you let it drain fully on the sidestand from both holes, then tip it up to vertical you will see for yourself.

When refilling you do want to check the oil level with the bike vertical (either on a center stand if you have one or else held balanced upright) and insert the dipstick in the hole but don’t screw it in. That is common on other dirt oriented bikes. Most street bikes have a sight glass, but they might break if/when a rock hits it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts