Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

How often do you wash your AT ?

• Never

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • When it’s almost bad enough that you can’t tell what color it is.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • When I or someone else notice how bad it looks.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A LOT, once a week or more.

• Often, around once a month.

• It never gets that dirty, I usually just have to wipe it down.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well actually not me. but usually my bike is not the cleanest, 1st I’m not afraid of riding in rain (but hey, that usually cleans my bike anyway) 2nd I’m not afraid of mud or getting dirty. 3rd dirt/gravel roads are my Autobahn and freeway and above speeds are the norm when I‘m on them. 4th I’m .... Well let’s say, a man of leisure, and the PITA of washing a bike is not lost on me.
Sooooo, I wash my bike maybe 2 times a year, OK. That doesn’t include any time I just hose off all the chunks of mud, but I’m talking a real good soap & water nook and cranny washing ..
How often do you wash your AT?

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
I am pretty much like you. My bike gets washed whenever it rains and maybe a couple of other times a year. I am not much better about chain maintenance :)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I am not a bike washer. I am not a car washer. My previous three bikes never saw soap. However, road grime and bugs do build-up and usually that is just handled with a wipe down. Rain (well actually, the road spray) can muck up a bike, but fortunately the AT has no chrome. So that is cause for celebration.

Chain maintenance? I hear ya @Cuchulainn. I can't stand chains. That is why I let Tutoro do all the work, and no electrical fussing is involved.

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
I don't have any kind of automatic chain oiler. But Honda lists in the maintenance schedule to inspect and lubricate the chain every 600 miles. Yeah, that's not happening. I am sure they meant to say every 6,000 miles and it is a typo :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I don't have any kind of automatic chain oiler. But Honda lists in the maintenance schedule to inspect and lubricate the chain every 600 miles. Yeah, that's not happening. I am sure they meant to say every 6,000 miles and it is a typo :ROFLMAO:
Ha, yeah.

You will get 1000 miles per Tutoro reservoir refill (synthetic engine oil appears to work), but you will have to spend the 20 seconds to refill it.

Refill rate will depend on how oily you like your chain.

Believe it or not, I have seen riders on the road with sport bikes that have orange/brown chains. I don't think they like chains either (nor sprockets).

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, yeah.

You will get 1000 miles per Tutoro reservoir refill (synthetic engine oil appears to work), but you will have to spend the 20 seconds to refill it.

Refill rate will depend on how oily you like your chain.

Believe it or not, I have seen riders on the road with sport bikes that have orange/brown chains. I don't think they like chains either (nor sprockets).
I did clean the rust off my chain last week and oiled it,

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
I did clean the rust off my chain last week and oiled it,
We really don't have a big rust problem here as dry as it normally is. I use the Motorex Off-Road Chain Lube when I am being good about it :)

Edit: I noticed Motorex now has an "Adventure" Chain Lube now as well. Sounds Adventurous :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not a big fan of washing bike or doing chain maintenance! last four bikes were shaft drive.

I have washed the AT, once, since Sept, though!

Put a Scott Oiler on and let it keep the chain oily on a relatively high setting; we will see how it holds up. Have not had to adjust tension in about last 3000 miles, so maybe it is doing some good. The oil sling keeps the left side of the rear wheel from rusting, at least!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Not a big fan of washing bike or doing chain maintenance! last four bikes were shaft drive.

I have washed the AT, once, since Sept, though!

Put a Scott Oiler on and let it keep the chain oily on a relatively high setting; we will see how it holds up. Have not had to adjust tension in about last 3000 miles, so maybe it is doing some good. The oil sling keeps the left side of the rear wheel from rusting, at least!
I miss the shaft final drive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Riding in the rain washes my bike quite nicely.

20,000 miles here in the mountains of north carolina and still none of the corrosion I read about. Before servicing it I will try to give it a bit of a wash and it always cleans up very well. My stator cover has started to weep a bit of oil, so once it's time for an oil change, I'll wash the bike before repairing it. When I do wash it, I've been using meguiars ultimate wash and wax and the grime seems to come off pretty easily...... Even in the rain.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm usually very meticulous about my motorcycles. My Ducati Panigale and Aprilia Tuono always looks like they are off the showroom floor. Wiped down after every ride or if dirty enough washed. As I mentioned in previous posts, I ride my ATAS 50/50 so it's always dirty to some degree after a ride. While, I'm not as meticulous with the ATAS it is never spotless or close. I will wash it and polish it up if it gets too dirty. I take pride in my motorcycles. I find a very dirt crusted or dried mud bike hard to inspect and maintain....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm usually very meticulous about my motorcycles. My Ducati Panigale and Aprilia Tuono always looks like they are off the showroom floor. Wiped down after every ride or if dirty enough washed. As I mentioned in previous posts, I ride my ATAS 50/50 so it's always dirty to some degree after a ride. While, I'm not as meticulous with the ATAS it is never spotless or close. I will wash it and polish it up if it gets too dirty. I take pride in my motorcycles. I find a very dirt crusted or dried mud bike hard to inspect and maintain....
I was initially pretty meticulous with my AT being that it was the first new vehicle of any kind that I've purchased. But riding so much offroad, I had to strike a balance given the time I have and I certainly prefer to ride than clean. That said, the oil leak I'm dealing with would not have been evident on a perpetually clean bike. It was discolored grime that alerted me to the issue. It's a slow weep, not a drip. I'm pretty religious cleaning the fork lowers, chain I give myself a C-.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wiped down the painted panels the other day before changing air filters. Cleaned the windscreen too. Left the four squadrons of dead bees entombed within the fairing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My bike is my toy and my pride and joy. So I clean it after each ride.
I use ACF 50 and wax periodically to make it easier to hose off dirt and debris.

I find it helps spot issues quickly if you clean and detail the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've always washed mine relatively regularly. But I'm that way with my trucks, mowers, tractors, just about anything I spend over 5k on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Britain is usually wet and even summer brings heavy showers, so I check my chain often. I lift it onto the center stand, stick it in drive and hold an oily three-way brush to it.
MucOff and a quick jetwash if I happen to bring kilos of mud home, otherwise it can wait.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bike is my toy and my pride and joy. So I clean it after each ride.
I use ACF 50 and wax periodically to make it easier to hose off dirt and debris.

I find it helps spot issues quickly if you clean and detail the bike.
Good point, in spotting issues, especially if you do a good nook and cranny cleaning. Definitely lost on me, after all I’m usually jamming music while I ride so parts of my bike could be falling off and or getting dragged down the street I’d id be happily oblivious singing in my helmet.(ok, a bit overdramatized, but you get my point.)
Guess one more reason I should clean it more than I do...

Reactions: Gordon

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Good point, in spotting issues, especially if you do a good nook and cranny cleaning. Definitely lost on me, after all I’m usually jamming music while I ride so parts of my bike could be falling off and or getting dragged down the street I’d id be happily oblivious singing in my helmet.(ok, a bit overdramatized, but you get my point.)
Guess one more reason I should clean it more than I do...
... you might find money too. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never washed any of my previous and also not planning on washing the AT anytime soon. Riding in the rain does the job. I lube the chain once a month, done quickly before i go on a ride and its on the center stand. I do wipe of my windscreen and helmet visor twice a month!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts