Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the UK the sun is often low in the sky at this time of year, and the new bike (2018) is causing problems for me. They changed the angle of the instrument display so that people standing on the pegs could read the instruments. Sounds a good idea but it means anyone of normal height sitting on the seat, gets a perfect reflection of the sun when it's behind the bike. This goes beyond not being able to read the display, it's blindingly bright and distracting. I've got to do something about it - anyone got any ideas?
Mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Petros - I have been reading that thread with interest but decided to start a new thread as I don't think it's the same issue. My problem is with the angle of the front clear perspex of the display - which as it happens means that the gold handlebars do not reflect into my eyes. I once tried an antiglare phone screen on my NC700 instruments, but it doesn;t work because the actual display numerics are too far from the clear plastic and the stick on phone screen therefore blurs them.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
In the UK the sun is often low in the sky at this time of year, and the new bike (2018) is causing problems for me. They changed the angle of the instrument display so that people standing on the pegs could read the instruments. Sounds a good idea but it means anyone of normal height sitting on the seat, gets a perfect reflection of the sun when it's behind the bike. This goes beyond not being able to read the display, it's blindingly bright and distracting. I've got to do something about it - anyone got any ideas?
Mike
I might ask; do you have or did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might ask; do you have or did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?
That's not the point really. It's the blinding image of the sun blasting my 70 year old eyes that bothers me, not the readability of the figures beneath.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
That's not the point really. It's the blinding image of the sun blasting my 70 year old eyes that bothers me, not the readability of the figures beneath.
Mike
Yes but what could Honda do? I mean short of putting it down in a deep well, if they had did a mat coating mud a dust would collect, a curved screen would pick up light from more angles.
So I’m thinking a riders height and riding position causing a lot of these issues, hence some ppl don’t seem to have issues

·
Registered
97 Posts
How about this?

But seriously, what about a computer anti-glare film? 3M makes one. You could cut it down.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That might work - I will ask my daughter to get kntting - just need two eyeholes for forward vision. If the 3M stuff is the same as the stuff I tried on my NC750X, then it won't work. It might cut the glare down but because it's a long way from the actual figures it blurs them badly.
Yeah - I understand Honda's problem. The 2016/17 bike worked fine for most riders sitting down, but for serious riders taking it off road they couldn't read the display while standing on the pegs. They can now but occasionally it causes problems touring on the road.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
How about this?

But seriously, what about a computer anti-glare film? 3M makes one. You could cut it down.
I like the first idea!! Not only will it keep my head warm but my hands too :grin2: tho I think in the summer I would want a lighter breathable material and a bit longer “sleeves” to help keep my arms from being sunburnt...

BTW. That looks like a real handy thing for really ugly people...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts