Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time for cutting. It is very important to be careful when cutting as not to damage the plastic you want to keep. I used an air powered rotary tool with an abrasive wheel. Think Dremel tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of time cleaning up plastic. I used 80 grit sand paper with a sanding block, 120 grit, 180 grit and finally a wet sand with 320. I could have spent a bit more time and used some polishing compound to make it look even better but I figured it was good enough for the bottom of a fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now to trim the bottom fender. I thought this looked like a good place to bolt the tag. Note that in these photos you can see some of the slots that the tabs on the rear fender slide into. I did not spend as much time cleaning this part up as it would be hidden by the tag.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, here comes the tricky part. Cutting the fender in this way leaves an opening which would allow water/mud to roost/drain back into your bike. Everything under the seat is pretty well protected and I think you would be fine running with this opening. You would just end with more clean up on your hands.

I could not leave well enough alone and measured and cut a piece of polycarbonate to fill the gap. I was also hoping that the tail light might double as a tag light if I used the clear plastic. I have not tested it in the dark so I'm not sure if that was a bust or not. This piece also bolts to the tag mount further strengthening the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Much test fitting. Note that you can see the taillight through the polycarbonate. I hope this illuminates the tag. (Fingers crossed)

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nicely done!!!!!
I know our thin as paper plates here in BC would lever last one off road ride.
I've broken a few plates in half, due to rocks flying up in there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
And done. Whew!
Well done King O B, That's a great job mate, and looks good too.
Must have taken you all of a couple of hours ;)
Although I first thought the Tag / Rego Plate may come a bit close to the rear tire when you bottom out and maybe get caught up.
But after looking at the position on your pics and comparing it on my own bike, looks like it will be ok, Then again only you can verify this.
Other than that, job well done mate :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well done King O B, That's a great job mate, and looks good too.
Must have taken you all of a couple of hours ;)
Although I first thought the Tag / Rego Plate may come a bit close to the rear tire when you bottom out and maybe get caught up.
But after looking at the position on your pics and comparing it on my own bike, looks like it will be ok, Then again only you can verify this.
Other than that, job well done mate :)

This is a very important point about the tag/rear tire interfering. I did take this into consideration with my design. The tag lies in the same plane as the rear fender that I cut off so it should not come in contact with the rear tire.

I guess there could be the extreme scenario where the suspension were fully compressed and the rear tire was caked with mud/slinging thick mud that the mud could push the plate into the tire but I think that is unlikely. The tire would touch the inside fender cutout (the concave portion under the fender) and still not touch the tag.

If you removed the rear shock from the bike and let the fear tire rest inside the fender well there would still be a full inch between the tire and the plate. (I just measured :grin2:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great job and you've peaked my interest. It would be even easier in Texas since bikes are no longer required to have turn signals even if they came with them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is it just me ? but what is the fascination with tail tidying? Next you will be adding a GS style mid air mudguard that is completely style over substance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts