Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished making and then mounted a rear rack. Made it out of some scrap 5 mm aluminum and as you can see I borrowed some design cues from a few different production racks. Only have a few holes drilled in it so far to mount my larger Pelican but will cut a few more larger holes to lighten it a bit (physically and visually) after I purchase and mount a smaller Pelican 1400 for day-to-day riding. Should come in handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks nice! Very professional! Need to paint or clear coat. Aluminum turns thing black if rubbed against after awhile. Like a bag strapped to it on along ride or on bumpy back roads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice job mate.
I have been struggling with the lack of tie down points on the rear of the standard AT
This looks like a nice solution.

I would like to make one that takes the place of the rear seat part and replaces the hand rails all together.
That is a larger project though

Anyone done this?
Or know of products to do this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job mate.
I have been struggling with the lack of tie down points on the rear of the standard AT
This looks like a nice solution.

I would like to make one that takes the place of the rear seat part and replaces the hand rails all together.
That is a larger project though

Anyone done this?
Or know of products to do this?
Thank you. I've seen some that replace just the rear seat but none that have replaced the seat and rails as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks good Herrdeacon. Is that the first rack you've made? I seem to recall someone making one in the past on another site, thought it might be you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Clem. I did make one before for my CB500X. It was made out of thinner aluminum and was a good learning experience for making this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool, I almost bought a CB500X but Honda waited too long to release it here in the US so I made a good deal on a 2017 AT and have been loving it ever since. The rack that I was remembering was on DTT. The guy slotted it out similar to what you have. **** those Mill owners and there skills!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, I almost bought a CB500X but Honda waited too long to release it here in the US so I made a good deal on a 2017 AT and have been loving it ever since. The rack that I was remembering was on DTT. The guy slotted it out similar to what you have. **** those Mill owners and there skills!
Congrats on the AT. I love both the CB and AT, they are both amazing bikes, but for most of my riding the AT is a better bike. Will probably go back to the CB when I get a bit older and need something lighter.

Yes, those fancy machines make these type parts pretty easy these days. I don't have access to those so had to go old school and did mine with basic hand tools (drill, jigsaw, hand files, dremel, etc.). Took hours but was fun and rewarding. No bending machine either so had to make up a diy metal brake of sorts so I could bend the sides.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts