Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ATAS will be one year old in March . I did the 600 mile service myself and will do the first annual service myself. Does the AT have a service indicator that must be reset. If so how have you chaps got round this if you do your own services.
There is not much you cant do at home. I would like to do the 2 yearly brake fluid change myself but I am not sure if ABS makes it more complicated than simply pumping the old fluid out at the bleed nipples while keeping the reservoir topped up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My manual doesn't mention a service indicator... So, I wouldn't worry about that. There's nothing to be nervous about with ABS brakes... The ones on my other bike are ancient. ABS2 from sometime prior to 1993 and they were/are straightforward. Plenty of "how to" guides on YT if you want to have a peruse.

The system used by Honda is from Bosch.. Same as modern BMWs. And I think is the 7th generation.

The only worry I would have about self servicing is in case of a warranty problem. I'm not sure how they "Honda" will react. Servicing by an independent is fine so long as basic guidelines are followed. But.. Home? I don't know.
I wil err on the side of caution and use the dealership until the warranty expires.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have discussed DIY servicing with my dealer and taken advice from forums.
I think a lot depends on the relationship you have with your dealer, ie the trade you give to your dealer, your demonstrated competence etc.
In the worst case a dealer could just throw out a warranty claim on the basis that servicing was not done at a Honda dealer. In my case I am banking on
A) Being a qualified Mechanical Engineer with 45 years experience
B) Using OEM spares, correct oil etc and maintaining receipts
C) Producing detailed service checklists to show that the Honda requirements have been followed at the correct time / mileage.

The only bit that I might need my dealer to check is the brains fault codes or get sortware updates done.

At the end of the day doing your own maint is just so satisfying. Its up there with a hot curry for sheer bliss. Is it just me or do others get a kick from selecting that correct socket and feeling it click into the ratchet. - - - as for watching dirty oil drain from a sump, oooooohhh.

·
Registered
325 Posts

At the end of the day doing your own maint is just so satisfying. Its up there with a hot curry for sheer bliss. Is it just me or do others get a kick from selecting that correct socket and feeling it click into the ratchet. - - - as for watching dirty oil drain from a sump, oooooohhh.
Actually you will need just to buy/build your own spec. cable to connect the bike with a OBD2 CAN
reader
and not overtight (30 nm) the oil drain plugs ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh.

Your initial post implied a very basic knowledge of maintenance. ABS is nothing new and fluid changes uncomplicated. My apologies.. I thought wrong and so erred on the side of caution. Something I tend to do.. Because it's not my bike that's at risk from bad advice.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No probs Motobiker

Sorry for misleading, all advice appreciated. My caution, and hence post, was due to once being put off by a BMW dealer. I had an early BMW K series and then GS with ABS that had a system that he said required special tools and procedures for fluid changes. He claimed that you cant do it yourself unless you have the very expensive equipment that he had. So in recent years I have allowed the dealer to change the fluids

However I think the BMW ABS system at that time may have been a bit special (complicated) compared to the modern systems. I will do the ATAS and my CRF250 fluid changes the normal way - squeeze - open nipple - close nipple - release - repeat - top up.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You can certainly do your own maintenance and it has no effect on the warranty. The ABS system doesn't change the process of how you bleed the brakes on this particular bike (on other bikes Honda linked brakes are more complicated but still not that difficult to do). I did exactly what you mentioned - pumped the fluid through the bleed screw and topped up the reservoir - a piece of cake. The rear one just needed to have the bolt removed and carefully held and filled beside the bike as you go - also not that difficult.
I've already done three tire changes, oil changes, brake pads, brake fluids, changing/replacing fork seals, and adding all the accessories - would have been a lot of cash to pay a dealer to do that. You can save yourself literally thousands on maintenance.

Reactions: lee711

·
Registered
81 Posts
With the correct tools, a service manual and a big mug of tea nothing is out of reach when it comes to servicing and maintenance. Just take your time and it's enjoyable and rewarding as well as saving you $$ or ££. Been doing my own for many years and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't mind doing bits and pieces on any bike (oil and filter, removing wheels to take them for new tyres rather than ride in/ride out) but when I bought my AT last September I had the first service done by the main dealer and will get the 8k one done this next week there too.

I knew I'd read about this in the bike press in recent years... really worth a read.

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/

·
Registered
15 Posts
The system used by Honda is from Bosch.. Same as modern BMWs. And I think is the 7th generation.
Interesting. Had Honda changed the ABS brick on the ATAS compared to the AT? I know for sure, that the original AT uses a Nissin ABS modulator. I have one on my desk.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Interesting. Had Honda changed the ABS brick on the ATAS compared to the AT? I know for sure, that the original AT uses a Nissin ABS modulator. I have one on my desk.

The Google machine told me it was a Bosch unit in the VFR. And so it was reasonable to assume this was across the range. Especially after the spate of recalls 5 years ago that caused a fairly major upset. Honda, Suzuki,Kawasaki and triumphs affected.

But it hardly matters the technology is the same regardless of who made it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But it hardly matters the technology is the same regardless of who made it.
True. Just to make sure, I'm not questioning you, nor trying to start anything either.
Just happen to work on retrofitting an AT ABS brick to a cb500x (for the switchable rear ABS function) and found it to be the same Nissin unit as the 500 series but with the added function. I asked to confirm if Honda had changed the setup for the ATAS, or to clear a ootential start of a misinformation reference.

To be ontopic, rhe abs so far seems to be absolutely teouble free on mine (both ATAS and 500x) and brake bleeding or other operations are the same as without ABS. One thing that ABS codes are not showing up in the normal DCT diagnostics, one needs to have a separate diagnostics cable if there any issue persists with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts