Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm within a week of buying a new 2018 AT Adventure, manual and it hasn't been set up to sell yet but obviously will be as soon as I tell the Dealer what day I will pick the bike up but I'm concerned about the gas tank situation:

Do the Dealer's preemptively remove the tank and clean the stuff out before the sale or do they wait to see if the purchaser has a problem?

I don't want to buy and then get stranded or have to trailer the scoot in to the Dealer!

I'd appreciate responses.

Thanks.

Sam:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
As far as I know that issue seems to be a hit or miss, some tanks had issues and others didn’t ..
Ask the dealer for sure if they don’t have them run a scope and see ...

·
Registered
856 Posts
You can insist as part of the deal to assess the issue on the spot, and/or as an agreement to service the incident should it occur as part of the transaction. It is a reasonable thing to request and negotiate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dealers (usually) don't do anything preemptively unless directed by the manufacturer in a service bulletin or recall. I doubt Honda would approve a warranty pre-check on the tank situation prior to the bike exhibiting problems so dealers just aren't going spend labor hours on it if not getting paid by Honda.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
As far as I know, it is all hit or miss. Mine did have the issue. Honda took care of it by replacing the fuel injectors, the fuel pump and cleaning the tank. They also offered a recheck for peace of mind to make sure the issue did not re-occur. Mine is at the dealer now having that done.

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
As far as I know, it is all hit or miss. Mine did have the issue. Honda took care of it by replacing the fuel injectors, the fuel pump and cleaning the tank. They also offered a recheck for peace of mind to make sure the issue did not re-occur. Mine is at the dealer now having that done.
I’m at almost 6k on the clock so hopefully no issues, my 18 was among the last couple in stock @ the Honda distribution center so hopefully they had it sorted by the time my bike came off the line. I don’t recall reading that any 19 had this issue, did they?

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
I’m at almost 6k on the clock so hopefully no issues, my 18 was among the last couple in stock @ the Honda distribution center so hopefully they had it sorted by the time my bike came off the line. I don’t recall reading that any 19 had this issue, did they?
Yes, mine is a 2019 ATAS, bought September of last year.

The first issue where they replaced the fuel pump and injectors and cleaned the tank occured at about 3200 miles.

I received a call from the dealership, they said they found more build-up in the fuel pump. They are going to rinse/repeat by replacing the fuel pump and both injectors as well as clean the tank again.

I called the guy from Honda America again to give him an update. He said the vast majority of bikes sold had no issue with the tank and only 2, myself and a guy in another part of the country ever had a repeat. He jokingly congratulated me on being an over-achiever.

How much of either statement is true, who knows. But he did go as far as saying that the issue has been documented and tied to the VIN, so Honda now owns it for the life of the bike, regardless of warranty status.

That's cool and all, but it doesn't really make up for the loss of time while it is in the shop and only time will tell if the second time is the charm.

Currently about 6K on the bike.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
Yes, mine is a 2019 ATAS, bought September of last year.

The first issue where they replaced the fuel pump and injectors and cleaned the tank occured at about 3200 miles.

I received a call from the dealership, they said they found more build-up in the fuel pump. They are going to rinse/repeat by replacing the fuel pump and both injectors as well as clean the tank again.

I called the guy from Honda America again to give him an update. He said the vast majority of bikes sold had no issue with the tank and only 2, myself and a guy in another part of the country ever had a repeat. He jokingly congratulated me on being an over-achiever.

How much of either statement is true, who knows. But he did go as far as saying that the issue has been documented and tied to the VIN, so Honda now owns it for the life of the bike, regardless of warranty status.

That's cool and all, but it doesn't really make up for the loss of time while it is in the shop and only time will tell if the second time is the charm.

Currently about 6K on the bike.

Not that this means much but at least I’m double past when you had your first issue (knock on wood), I’m probably gonna jinx myself but hopefully I’m a miss rather than a hit..
thanks for your info..
sux about your down time x2 but at least it’s now covered . You’d think by now they have a sure fire way to fix this issue.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Not that this means much but at least I’m double past when you had your first issue (knock on wood), I’m probably gonna jinx myself but hopefully I’m a miss rather than a hit..
thanks for your info..
sux about your down time x2 but at least it’s now covered . You’d think by now they have a sure fire way to fix this issue.
Well, they claimed what they did the first time was a "sure-fire fix," telling me that they have had none come back after having the tank cleaned, pump replaced, fuel injectors replaced. Now they have. They have even tried replacing the tanks on a couple and those new tanks have had issues.

The "sure-fire fix" would be to replace the bike with a 2020 model if it repeats, but they don't seem keen on doing that :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dealers (usually) don't do anything preemptively unless directed by the manufacturer in a service bulletin or recall. I doubt Honda would approve a warranty pre-check on the tank situation prior to the bike exhibiting problems so dealers just aren't going spend labor hours on it if not getting paid by Honda.
I suppose there is truth in that. Depending on your relationship with the dealer, there is no harm in trying to discuss it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely no harm in asking.

I have the Guglatech "Mazinga" fuel pump filter sock and filler cap filter ready to install when I pull my tank to check / clean. Seems to be the best option if filtration if the tanks are going to keep shedding debris.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Not that this means much but at least I’m double past when you had your first issue (knock on wood), I’m probably gonna jinx myself but hopefully I’m a miss rather than a hit.
A hint to me that it was beginning to build up debris for a second time, is that sometimes lately it would feel as though it didn't. have the same power and would occasionally experience a delay when you open the throttle. I was hoping I was just being a bit hypersensitive which we can all be prone to after experiencing an issue like this. But it turned out the hunch was correct.

Edit: The contact from Honda USA was in regard to the report I filed with NSHTA, so I would recommend anyone in the USA who experiences this issue also file a similar report. I think it may be the only way we get a unified and official fix because the stuff I have read about what various dealers have run the gamut.

One gentleman posted an experience where the dealer put a chain in the tank and shook it up to clean it. That at least seemed to get a laugh out of Honda. The rep said, "Thanks for that, now I have heard everything" :)

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
A hint to me that it was beginning to build up debris for a second time, is that sometimes lately it would feel as though it didn't. have the same power and would occasionally experience a delay when you open the throttle. I was hoping I was just being a bit hypersensitive which we can all be prone to after experiencing an issue like this. But it turned out the hunch was correct.

Edit: The contact from Honda USA was in regard to the report I filed with NSHTA, so I would recommend anyone in the USA who experiences this issue also file a similar report. I think it may be the only way we get a unified and official fix because the stuff I have read about what various dealers have run the gamut.

One gentleman posted an experience where the dealer put a chain in the tank and shook it up to clean it. That at least seemed to get a laugh out of Honda. The rep said, "Thanks for that, now I have heard everything" :)
Thanks for the heads up and the info.

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
Well, they claimed what they did the first time was a "sure-fire fix," telling me that they have had none come back after having the tank cleaned, pump replaced, fuel injectors replaced. Now they have. They have even tried replacing the tanks on a couple and those new tanks have had issues.

The "sure-fire fix" would be to replace the bike with a 2020 model if it repeats, but they don't seem keen on doing that :)
You would think that they would have a gas proof sealant to coat the tank with, I could never understand just why motorcycle gas tanks are not coated with plastic. Kinda like a plastic gas tank inside a metal one. Yea gas is a petroleum product and does (for the most part) prevent rust on its own, but still moisture is an issue.
Oh well, guess that would be overkill considering the usual “lifespan” of a bike..
BTW I prefer your “fix” on the problem, a 2020 would fix EVERYTHING, even the problems that don’t exist.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nick these issues early, and preferably while under warranty. Otherwise, the interruptions of service simply take their toll on the joy of the AT - or any bike for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
You would think that they would have a gas proof sealant to coat the tank with, I could never understand just why motorcycle gas tanks are not coated with plastic. Kinda like a plastic gas tank inside a metal one. Yea gas is a petroleum product and does (for the most part) prevent rust on its own, but still moisture is an issue.
Oh well, guess that would be overkill considering the usual “lifespan” of a bike..
BTW I prefer your “fix” on the problem, a 2020 would fix EVERYTHING, even the problems that don’t exist.
The issue appears to be oxidization, at least that is how Honda America kept refering to it. He kept mentioning that that they don't know why some tanks are oxidizing while others are not and that they don't know what is causing it because "it isn't like they have never welded a tank before." He also mentioned that they are still in the investigation stages.

I was left with the impression that it is a defect that they have not gotten to the bottom of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ask for forgiveness before hand.
I arrived late at the party. Please can somebody explain what is the problem with the fuel tank?
I am in the looking to purchase a AT. Surely will be good to know these details.
Also I did not have searched for the topic in the forum. I think is widely know. But as said before, I do not know what it is.
Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts