Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
I ask for forgiveness before hand.
I arrived late at the party. Please can somebody explain what is the problem with the fuel tank?
I am in the looking to purchase a AT. Surely will be good to know these details.
Also I did not have searched for the topic in the forum. I think is widely know. But as said before, I do not know what it is.
Thank you in advance.
In short for all reading: oxidation or better known as “white rust” like on galvanized is the Issue..

·
Registered
822 Posts
In short for all reading: oxidation or better known as “white rust” like on galvanized is the Issue..
For clarity, the issue applies to the enlarged ATAS fuel tanks, and it is a galvanic reaction in response to some "coating" that was left (whether correct or incorrectly) on the inner surface seams?

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
For clarity, the issue applies to the enlarged ATAS fuel tanks, and it is a galvanic reaction in response to some "coating" that was left (whether correct or incorrectly) on the inner surface seams?
Honda was calling it an oxidation issue but either way it is a problem, a deterioration of the tank. BTW oxidation is an electrochemical breakdown of the metal.

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
"the metal"? So just not the seams.
You know I get the feeling they really don’t know for sure, other than the fact that the filters are getting clogged with debris from the walls and or welds inside the tank. Or if they do know they are keeping tight lipped on exactly why. But bluntly the inside of the tank is falling apart and why is on Honda not us owners all we can do is deal with the aftermath IF it happens..

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
I ask for forgiveness before hand.
I arrived late at the party. Please can somebody explain what is the problem with the fuel tank?
I am in the looking to purchase a AT. Surely will be good to know these details.
Also I did not have searched for the topic in the forum. I think is widely know. But as said before, I do not know what it is.
Thank you in advance.
You didn't mention which model/year AT you are looking to purchase. So far the issue only seems to affect the tanks on at least some 2018/19 ATAS models.

From what I understand (and this could be wrong), is that it is zinc oxide residue from the welds on the effected tanks that is flaking off an clogging the fuel pump. The current repair process from Honda appears to be replacing the fuel pump, fuel injectors and cleaning the tank.

Honda claims that this fixes the issue on the first try in most cases, but mine is in for a second round. They claim they have one other person in another part of the country that also is in for round two, but so far we are the only "over-achievers."

Still waiting on parts, which the dealer claims are not back-ordered, but shipping has been a bit slow due to shipping priorities on other needed supplies. Which is understandable.

The best answer I could get from Honda America was "We aren't exactly sure right now why this is happening and only to some tanks and not others, it isn't as though we have never welded a tank before. We are still in the investigative process."

·
Registered
34 Posts
@Cuchulainn My bike is at a little over 3k miles. I've noticed lately that it hunts around a bit more while idling. I remember when I first received the bike how impressed I was with the study, consistent idling. No stumbles on acceleration or cutting out has occurred. Could this be a prelude to the clogging problem, or am I just being overly critical? Also, do you think it would be helpful to tabulate the last four VIN numbers of the bikes that have had problems so owners can see if their bikes were produced closely to the affected bikes?

·
Registered
822 Posts
@Cuchulainn My bike is at a little over 3k miles. I've noticed lately that it hunts around a bit more while idling. I remember when I first received the bike how impressed I was with the study, consistent idling. No stumbles on acceleration or cutting out has occurred. Could this be a prelude to the clogging problem, or am I just being overly critical? Also, do you think it would be helpful to tabulate the last four VIN numbers of the bikes that have had problems so owners can see if their bikes were produced closely to the affected bikes?
A volunteer "VIN registry" (as you propose) I think is a great idea ... for any reason. What a great reason to cross-reference this tank issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure if I'm getting ahead of my self just yet but .... I brought home my new 2019 ATAS last week. I stopped to fill up the gas then straight into the garage for bolt on mods. A couple hours later I could hear something "hissing" from the bike, after releasing pressure by opening the gas filler cap the noise dissipated only to return later the next day. I have not had time to contact the dealer just yet but with only 13 miles on the clock I'm a bit concerned. Anybody else have this issue..?

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
Not sure if I'm getting ahead of my self just yet but .... I brought home my new 2019 ATAS last week. I stopped to fill up the gas then straight into the garage for bolt on mods. A couple hours later I could hear something "hissing" from the bike, after releasing pressure by opening the gas filler cap the noise dissipated only to return later the next day. I have not had time to contact the dealer just yet but with only 13 miles on the clock I'm a bit concerned. Anybody else have this issue..?
Normally no issue, gas tanks vent slowly to keep fumes from building up. And at times can get a bit noisy..

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
I would have it looked it. So far the line from Honda has been "It hasn't effected all Adventure Sport Tanks," but considering mine has had to have fuel pump and injectors replaced twice now, I would personally add "yet."

Change in normal operating behavior such as the idle could be an early sign. I began to notice a hesitation with mine this last time when accelerating rapidly. It would hesitate and then kind of slingshot. Enough that I noticed, but hoped I was just being hypersensitive to it due to the past issue. Unfortunately I was not.

Honda America is well aware of the issue and has supposedly had a meeting on the re-occurance of the issue, so they should not hesitate to authorize to have it checked on their dime.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I thought it was only ATAS from 2018 and 2019. So I was thinking it was something about paint overspray from the white. But at least one person said they had it on a red bike. I've seen pictures that looked like a gelatinous goo - and others that looked like sand or dirt. At first - the cases were mostly UK, then US. I've siphoned out of my 2018 ATAS a couple of times and seen nothing. I'm wondering if anyone in Texas has had the problem? The tank has the fuel pump and a few other things in it. I'm wondering if it isn't something in the fuel people are using that is doing it? Like maybe there was a batch of fuel pumps where the supplier used a plastic that gets degraded by ethanol? I only use regular gas - I pass on the mid and premium. I also try to avoid ethanol, and I don't use fuel stabilizers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also filed a report with NSHTA. Please file a report with the NSHTA as well, if you have or are experiencing the same fuel tank problem. IMHO, Honda will not take it seriously until the agency orders them to recall it or someone (got forbid) gets seriously hurt or worse. I was very close to that. My local dealer performed the same: tank replacement, new fuel pump with filter, new fuel injectors. I have put 50 miles on the bike after all that was done and my bike started to hesitate on acceleration. It's absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
I also filed a report with NSHTA. Please file a report with the NSHTA as well, if you have or are experiencing the same fuel tank problem. IMHO, Honda will not take it seriously until the agency orders them to recall it or someone (got forbid) gets seriously hurt or worse. I was very close to that. My local dealer performed the same: tank replacement, new fuel pump with filter, new fuel injectors. I have put 50 miles on the bike after all that was done and my bike started to hesitate on acceleration. It's absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.
Agreed. After round 2 of that tank cleaning, fuel pump replacement, fuel injector replacement inside of 6K miles, I have no reason to believe that it will not happen a 3rd time. The only "assurance" I have is Honda saying they have only had to do this twice on two bikes. Even if that is to be believed, I am sure they were saying they have never had to do it more than once, until they did. I feel that they are kicking the can down the road hoping they eventually clean and replace often enough that it doesn't re-occur. Will that be 2, 3 or 4 times? In the meantime, it can cause a very dangerous condition. Likewise had a close call that left me shaken and I don't feel I will ever fully trust my bike and suspect if I have it checked again at about 9K miles they will find more.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts