Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I took my 22 ATAS off road and had a couple crashes on the right side: first time in some thick sand in a curve and second lost balance and fell on some hard rocks.

The first image shows the location of the direct impact(s). When I got home I noticed that the right side bar was now almost touching the fairing. The second image is a front view that kinds shows the imbalance between the two sides, might be hard to tell. The third image is a close up of the side in question and as you can see it is just a few millimeters away.

I attempted to remove the bars and reinstall just to see if they just got knocked out of alignment. However, when I got to the last step to try to install the bolt and spacer connecting the two sides, this just isn't possible as the right bar at the front is pressed up against the nose of the bike. The last image shows this position. I made sure not to torque any bolts before getting everything into place, so I am sure that isn't the cause. During my initial install I didn't have to struggle at this step.

I am now thinking that for sure the bar was impacted enough to cause a bent deformity. But wanted to run this by the forum and see if anyone who has these bars would have any insight. I am leaning towards replacing the bars, but that kinda sucks that I would have to do this after only a couple of slow speed crashes, albeit the terrain was pretty rocky. At least they seem to have done their job as there isn't any obvious damage to the bike.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
You may manage to bend them back into shape. One way may be to attach a webbing strap around the bent bit and to something very solid then push the bike away to jerk it a bit, just make sure there is no chance of the strap snapping and the bike falling.
I have also heard that Heed will supply you with one half if required which may keep the cost down a bit if you can not get them bent back.

· Registered
552 Posts
Definitely repairable. Depends on how handy you are. From the pics it looks like you got to open up the top curve.
For a start, take the off and examine. Looking for cracked or stressed paint maybe a clue. To minimise marks/dents aviod striking the bar without
cupping it first. Measure the OD find a 3" tube with ID similar and cut it length ways. A hydraulic jack and ratchet tie downs could be useful as a press.
Going slow it may take an hour or two. And i doubt that you cracked any welds(y)

· Registered
75 Posts
I had the same experience. After testing them by dropping my bike over the side of a mountain in Colorado this fall I can tell you they are fixable. I too removed mine and used a shop press to straighten them but realized two big men or as suggested a couple of straps between two trees should work. They only bend in at the top loop. The lower part is very strong as attested to by my drop test. The only damage the bike sustained was a broken right blinker and some of the plastics surrounding it and oh yeah my broken leg ( I was on the bike for part of it's trip) .

· Registered
249 Posts
Looking head on it looks to me as if the first bend in the upper tube has collapsed, difficult to tell from photographs but if that is the case replacement ill be the only option. I'm sure a couple of big lads could bend them back to where they were but would there be the same strength in the tubing or possible the tubing would collapse even more?

Why not email your enquiry together with the photographs to Heed for their opinion?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I’m going to opt to contact Heed for advice but will probably replace that side. I’m not confident that I am handy enough to figure how to bend it back into shape, but I’ll hold onto it as a project to see if I can. In the meantime, though I want to have a healthy bar on there.

· Premium Member
901 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I’m going to opt to contact Heed for advice but will probably replace that side. I’m not confident that I am handy enough to figure how to bend it back into shape, but I’ll hold onto it as a project to see if I can. In the meantime, though I want to have a healthy bar on there.
once you get a replacement, use it as a template to fix your bent one (y), or find a metal fabricator to bend it back,

...the way things are going you'll probably need them "again" ;)

consider some of these as well, to minimize the damage :)
Motorcycle 22-32mm Tube Bars Anti Fall Crash Bar Guard Ball Frame Slider Rubber
Peripheral Light Product Automotive tire Output device
Automotive tire Output device Camera accessory Gadget Audio equipment

Motorcycle Engine Crash Bar Protection Bumper Decorative Guard Block
Tire Light Automotive tire Product Automotive design
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

or a couple of these filled with soft stuff, rags, rain gear, extra clothing, tennis balls :) ...to soften and absorb the impact in the "Next fall"
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

· Administrator
11,172 Posts
once you get a replacement, use it as a template to fix your bent one (y), or find a metal fabricator to bend it back,

View attachment 78865 View attachment 78866

What's going to protect the guard balls upon impact? :whistle:

· Registered
989 Posts
I'd be inclined to agree with you. Personally I'd replace the lot just in case the other side has been affected and you find out when you try to match the new side to the old. All the re bending is bound to affect the strength and they don't cost that much anyway. They've done their job and now they ruin the look of the bike so time to say adios I say.

· Registered
249 Posts
The idea of the balls and blocks is to minimise friction and allow the crash bars to slide and not dig in, which may be a good or bad thing since there may be less damage but the motorcycle will slide further causing...

SwaggyAT's issue was the force of the impact bent the crash bars, adding balls or blocks would probably not have lessened that force.

Six of one vs half a dozen of another

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts

SwaggyAT's issue was the force of the impact bent the crash bars, adding balls or blocks would probably not have lessened that force.

I suspect they may even have caused damage seeing as how close the bars themselves ended up, the balls likely would have impacted the panels and possibly cracked them.

· Registered
75 Posts
The idea of the balls and blocks is to minimise friction and allow the crash bars to slide and not dig in, which may be a good or bad thing since there may be less damage but the motorcycle will slide further causing...

Exactly...Sliding is not always a good idea. Mine slid six feet right off the side of a mountain. Ouch!

· Registered
2017 DCT(sold), 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT Hack Rig
682 Posts
2017 DCT. Heed Bunker Bars got tweaked. Worked for me... Might be a little careful if using stock sidestand. Camel ADV stand is pretty stout.

Wood Flooring Floor Automotive tire Bumper
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Wood Public space Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Registered
87 Posts

View attachment 78865 View attachment 78866
View attachment 78867 View attachment 78869

or a couple of these filled with soft stuff, rags, rain gear, extra clothing, tennis balls :) ...to soften and absorb the impact in the "Next fall"
View attachment 78868
Though the manual clutch IS NOT DEAD :) I really like those bags and tie ball protector idea!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts