Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Undecided a bit to much $$$$

Votes: 15 12.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
I’ve turned my 2016 AT into a virtually perfect bike for me and my needs. I’ve spent far too much on it and wonder how many of my upgrades would be able to transfer over, which in reality is probably not many, if any. I really don’t fancy starting all over again as I know the new bike will be good, but there’s always areas that could be made better, and I always strive to make something better for me which means more £££’s thrown at it.

So no, I’ll be running my ‘16 bike for years to come.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also see a few negative points already:
- Higher price. One of the selling points for the <2019 ATAS was how much bike you get for your dollar.
- The new Double Dash looks off. Couldn't they have incorporated speed and gear on the nav screen?
- The cruisecontrol switches should be on the left switchgear, so as to avoid jerking the throttle while trying to activate this function.
- Speaking of switchgear, I count fourteen (14!) different buttons on the left switchgear alone! That's probably clumsy to operate.
- The standard Africa Twin still has Tube Type tires.
- Personally I prefer the looks of the "old" bike.
Regarding your negative points above:
- Yes, too high price. In my country (Italy) they are expliciting targeting BMW's GS customers: they dropped the standard suspension Adv Sport configuration so we only got ES expensive version (around 20k euros!).
- The double dash unfortunately is needed because the Car Play takes ownership of the whole TFT and they needed a way to replicate basic info and engine lights. To me it looks off, too.
- Cruise control switches are well thought: in the video they show how easy (and natural) is using them with the right inch, in a single move you can switch it on and set the speed. I think they really studied it well.
- Switches on the left side looks overwhelming, but I think we need to see in real world how they perform. The touchable TFT will help a lot, I suppose. In the meantime they put the pass/high beam command in the proper place, at last.
- Standard AT is an off road machine, like they say. So it looks natural it has tubes. For sure there will be a lot of people looking for the tubeless wheels of the Adv!
- For a judgement about the look I'll wait to see it live, probably in EICMA 2019 at the beginning of november. The current is really nice, but some fresh design is welcome, in my opinion.

Having said that, I think I'll surely upgrade to an ES Adventure Sports, but not soon. I would like to use my MY2018 Standard some more time as I really like it (and I have to pay off debt 0:) )... I just need to replace a couple parts to make it more enjoyable (rear shock, mainly, probably with an AirTender unit).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will take my time on this. First of all, my bike is new. I have the 18 ATAS with just 12500km and, with all those extras I put on it cost me way too much to trade it so soon.

On the other hand I am not sure I like the looks of the new ATAS (I am not even looking at the standard one). I find the implementation of the cornering lights somewhat FAIL. Maybe the photos do not flatter it, but definitely it did not gave me the good impression of the 18 ATAS when I first looked at it (and fell for it instantly).

Still, I think it will eventually grow to me. But I shall be looking for a swap after 2-3 years. I do envy the screen, but this is not a dominant factor for me, neither is the subtle power increase.

In the meantime, I hope the wheels are interchangeable with the 2018 model and at a logical price....if yes, this is a swap I will do in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I prefer bikes with fewer electronics because I travel far (Asia, Africa), venture in remote areas off-road and even when I travel in Europe I do so without road assistance. In this context, my 2017 manual AT has proved an excellent bike with a few modifications and have already put 40K ml / 64K km on it in 2.5 years of ownership. I could be possibly tempted by the non-ATAS 2020 despite more electronics (it is a Honda after all), if there was a significant torque/power hike on the rear wheel - although I doubt it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Put me in the buy one as soon as I can with one caveat - if the V4 Multistrada is available about the same time, my $$$ are going there.

While I love a lot of thing about my ATAS DCT, I would spend thousands to mod the things I want to take care of that appear to be addressed in the 2020 model. For example, tubeless tires. That is a few thousand right there. Yes I could try and do the rim taping but that isn't the best solution. I would love an actual cruise control. I use a crappy clamp type throttle lock now but I love having and electric one like my other bikes. Having both headlights work together should mean better lighting and I am not opposed to that. The electronic suspension is a big plus on my XR and Multi so I would love to have that as well. A bit more motor, why not? Helps with another complaint of mine. Maybe with the bigger motor they'll get the fueling right. The lean surging on mine drives me crazy. Aftermarket power commander or similar is another chunk of money.

Maybe they will have fixed the crappy airflow that roasts my nuts on a hot day. The hot air on a 100F day just bathes my legs in hot air when going down the highway. I've never had another bike in my life (over 100 now) that roasts me the way the AT does on the highway on a hot day. I've had a lot roast the chestnuts when stopped on a hot day in traffic but nothing while moving like the AT. Will love to have Apple Car Play integration. I use it all the time on my other cars. Saves me a lot of time and I use Waze 100% of the time.

IF I made all the changes to my current AT I would throw thousands at it and it would still be worth what it is now without the mods. Mods are just like dumping money down a sinkhole with respect to resale. Maybe worth it for my short term enjoyment but if I have to deviate too far from stock, I probably bought the wrong bike in the first place...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ES very looks like a grown up motorcycle. I need a few more years of growing up before I move in that direction.?

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow up to 5 in as soon as I can...

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I was looking for a new bike I would jump at the 2020. Checks off most of my boxes. When I bought my 2018 I almost felt that way and it still pretty much meets all my needs. Cruise Control, tubeless tires and the improved screen with Apple Play would be real nice to have. But certainly not trading in my 2018 to get them. By the time I'm ready for a new bike who knows what options they'll have.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If I was looking for a new bike I would jump at the 2020. Checks off most of my boxes. When I bought my 2018 I almost felt that way and it still pretty much meets all my needs. Cruise Control, tubeless tires and the improved screen with Apple Play would be real nice to have. But certainly not trading in my 2018 to get them. By the time I'm ready for a new bike who knows what options they'll have.
My guess would be.. sooner or later. Shaft drive.

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My guess would be.. sooner or later. Shaft drive.
I thought that too, as an option on the AS, maybe, but I kinda doubt it. The stress levels on a bike that goes off tarmac is pretty high so that means a lot of weight and a lot of mechanical problems...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I thought that too, as an option on the AS, maybe, but I kinda doubt it. The stress levels on a bike that goes off tarmac is pretty high so that means a lot of weight and a lot of mechanical problems...
I hate editing posts.. and thought I should.

what i see (as a possibility) is the range being split. top of the range going shaft. and aimed almost exclusively at (mostly) road users. with a standard range remaining chain drive, perhaps with a lighter, lower power option, the much mooted 850cc?

It has already been suggested that the 'Sports variant has become a more road oriented bike. which I think is possibly true, though i have already suggested that it has become a little more "dual purpose".

Honda have plenty of experience with shaft drive. And i would suggest the in-roads they have made into the GS market share has just whetted their appetite. And so it seems logical to me that at some point in the future a shaft driven bike is inevitable. You can read on any BMW forum that there is a lot of admiration for the CRF. Indeed, some forums have their own CRF sub-forum. Which gets a lot of attention. And the biggest complaint has always been the Chain. (It was for me.. as Ive had a GS since 1997)

An 1100+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports, with Shaft. Tubeless tyres. with a 300+ mile range. AND DCT. I would jump at that bike in a flash.

And so.. Im guessing, would a lot of other BMW owners. especially those who are tired of the constant worry when the extended warranty expires and cannot be renewed.

·
Read Only
20 Posts
I attended a seminar for current owners/first adopters last year and I have to say that Honda have delivered on pretty much every aspect of the discussions about updates/additions for a new model. One thing that came up early on was regarding a shaft drive model and it was pretty much dismissed by the engineers as an option for Africa Twin anytime soon. So I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I hate editing posts.. and thought I should.

what i see (as a possibility) is the range being split. top of the range going shaft. and aimed almost exclusively at (mostly) road users. with a standard range remaining chain drive, perhaps with a lighter, lower power option, the much mooted 850cc?

It has already been suggested that the 'Sports variant has become a more road oriented bike. which I think is possibly true, though i have already suggested that it has become a little more "dual purpose".

Honda have plenty of experience with shaft drive. And i would suggest the in-roads they have made into the GS market share has just whetted their appetite. And so it seems logical to me that at some point in the future a shaft driven bike is inevitable. You can read on any BMW forum that there is a lot of admiration for the CRF. Indeed, some forums have their own CRF sub-forum. Which gets a lot of attention. And the biggest complaint has always been the Chain. (It was for me.. as Ive had a GS since 1997)

An 1100+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports, with Shaft. Tubeless tyres. with a 300+ mile range. AND DCT. I would jump at that bike in a flash.

And so.. Im guessing, would a lot of other BMW owners. especially those who are tired of the constant worry when the extended warranty expires and cannot be renewed.
I agree MAYBE in the future it might be an option, I would LOVE it see it happen. The smoothness of a shaft drive coupled with the DCT would be heaven. As soon as someone can overcome the shaft drives issues associated with off road use, I’m sure Honda will give it serious consideration. As for BMW’s, yes beautiful bikes but let’s face it (I hate to pigeon hole people but) they, as a whole, are not known for heavy off road riding. But, who can blame them small mishaps can end up in big bills and that bike does not handle the stress of heavy off-road use well. Yea, you can go catch some air on a GS and ride it hard down some gnarly single tracks but most likely at a point you’ll end up with a rear seal leak in that shaft, it’s almost inevitable. But this is, of course, just my opinion... Let’s put it this way; the short approach at the end of my drive way (between the street and sidewalk) is about 4ft. long and pretty steep, I used to use it as a “quick” wheelie ramp for my KLR, but the AT has the balls to easily make it a jump ramp. So usually the least a couple times a week (depending on where my truck is parked) I am obliged to launch into my driveway 99% of the tome I don’t even touch the sidewalk. Point being (other than the fun aspect) I don’t even give it a thought on my ATAS
BUT I’m sure if I owned a GS and shaft drive, landing on concrete (even these little 1-2ft high) jumps would not even be a consideration (at least not in my book)..
BTW if you are wondering; no my driveway is not super long and and I do have to do some decent braking before I kiss my fence to my backyard but that just one more fun aspect to doing it >:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
i agree maybe in the future it might be an option, i would love it see it happen. The smoothness of a shaft drive coupled with the dct would be heaven. As soon as someone can overcome the shaft drives issues associated with off road use, i’m sure honda will give it serious consideration. As for bmw’s, yes beautiful bikes but let’s face it (i hate to pigeon hole people but) they, as a whole, are not known for heavy off road riding. But, who can blame them small mishaps can end up in big bills and that bike does not handle the stress of heavy off-road use well. Yea, you can go catch some air on a gs and ride it hard down some gnarly single tracks but most likely at a point you’ll end up with a rear seal leak in that shaft, it’s almost inevitable. But this is, of course, just my opinion... Let’s put it this way; the short approach at the end of my drive way (between the street and sidewalk) is about 4ft. Long and pretty steep, i used to use it as a “quick” wheelie ramp for my klr, but the at has the balls to easily make it a jump ramp. So usually the least a couple times a week (depending on where my truck is parked) i am obliged to launch into my driveway 99% of the tome i don’t even touch the sidewalk. Point being (other than the fun aspect) i don’t even give it a thought on my atas
but i’m sure if i owned a gs and shaft drive, landing on concrete (even these little 1-2ft high) jumps would not even be a consideration (at least not in my book)..
Btw if you are wondering; no my driveway is not super long and and i do have to do some decent braking before i kiss my fence to my backyard but that just one more fun aspect to doing it >:)
..with Shaft. Tubeless tyres. with a 300+ mile range. AND DCT
vfr1200x? Didn't sell much at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
vfr1200x? Didn't sell much at all.
It’s a Street bike playing dress up, I mean, come on, yea I COULD take a Harley ultra classic around a motocross track but, really ? VRF1200X off-road !?!?!? More like MAYBE dirt road.
I think the “cross’ in crosstour is more like a cross to,a vampire but saying stay away from dirt go touring...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well since my AT is now at 34'000 clicks, my AT's resale value is now getting awfull and to be able to travel correctly and comfy here's all I needed to do to this 2017 standard, so then even with all the upgrade on the 2020, I think most upgrades won't transfer and other than the springs I guess, all upgrades will still be needed, because I don't see the basic model quality changing much.

- Upgraded springs, because I get 40Kg on travel
- Crash bars, because radiator too dangerously damageable
- Auxiliary lights, not to be missed in the fog and night
- Better saddle, for these 10 drives
- Injection module/exhaust, to smoothen choppy feel down low
- Rox risers, because my arms are so long my back arched back
- Tubeless rims, because I just can't change a front tube in the middle of nowhere
- Stainless braided brake lines, solve squishy brakes but couldn't install because of swiss laws...

On one side it's annoying to have put so much money on it and see now, it's Worth one third what I paid which tells me it's time to go with a motorcycle that actually gives me all I need and not put some 3K$ on a motorcyle, but on the other hand my AT now only after 3 intense years of use, has most plastics looking like ****, most screws are getting rusty, spokes like some other parts are corroded, the central stand underside is also now pretty rusty, while my 2014 Yamaha still looks great.
The Honda lately gave me a lot of false neutrals between 5-6th, almost creating a crash on a highway, when cold the engine cuts same as traction control does, which I find more and more dangerous and lastly the engine has totally shut down multiple times, after blipping the throtlle in the middle of the street, showing the oil light but oil is fine, the mecanic told me the end of fork tubes also start corroding...

So after 1 Kawasaki and 3 Yamahas, that never showed any issues much less such rusting, corroding and plastics looking so bad, I must say I won't buy another Honda, it was overly reliable but I am still pretty disappointed now, I don't want to try the 2020 and realise all these "esthetic" issues are still there, or more issues need to be worked on within the first years of the model, because most of the hardware must be the same they didn't reinvent everything.

As I totally overblew my off-road needs, I eventually didn't ride dirt much, just some mountain roads sometimes and winter being pretty cold in Switzerland I will not want another 21" Wheel, I had too many oh **** moments. So that's why I decided to check 3 bikes, Guzzi V85, V strom 1000, Tiger 800 and eventually was blown away by the tiger, all the updates I did on my AT are stock on a XRT, plus cruise control, the saddle (heating) even is much comfier to me, it's Fucking lighter and I don't find much less powerfull, they even offer the whole aluminum luggage touratech kit...
So I am going to make the switch to Triumph and from my talk with the dealership, the services will even be cheaper, especially that the valve check is later, it's a shame Honda ****** up it's quality so much, my AT parked next to the Triumph really looked sad…

Loved my AT a long long time with many travels, I custommized it so much more than any bike before, it's not really bad, but I don't realy trust Honda's quality anymore and I'm sad to be saying this, the Tiger is tried and true through the years, I think I won't have much issues.

21 - 40 of 156 Posts