• Undecided a bit to much $$$$

Votes: 15 12.3%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Isn't that anything, be it an automobile, motorcycle, or a television? A thousand dollar iPhone isn't worth $200 two years later.

If you ask me, the "new" features of the 2020 is more about Honda catching up to what should have already been offered on earlier models than it is about introducing new technology. ****, my 2004 Road King has cruise control...

Conversely, If Honda had released the 2020 as nothing but a relabeled 2019 model, everyone would be bitching about the lack of improvements.
You can’t please everyone every time, I do, however, applaud Honda for listening and addressing/improving. And not just putting out the same model in different colors for years. They are, for the most part, giving the public what they asked for, yea some things did take longer then others (like cruise control). But it is here.. and there are also plenty of people out there that could give a rats rear hole about having cruise control on a bike and also ones who’d say I’d rather spend that extra 2k on aftermarket stuff (referring back to the fist part of this reply)...

·
Registered
225 Posts
You can’t please everyone every time, I do, however, applaud Honda for listening and addressing/improving. And not just putting out the same model in different colors for years. They are, for the most part, giving the public what they asked for, yea some things did take longer then others (like cruise control). But it is here.. and there are also plenty of people out there that could give a rats rear hole about having cruise control on a bike and also ones who’d say I’d rather spend that extra 2k on aftermarket stuff (referring back to the fist part of this reply)...

My problem here is more on the philosophy, honestly it feels like looking at a BMW brochure, 6 models but I still didn't see anywhere clearly if centerstands are stock on the ATAS, also seems no heated grips and I don't think seats even exist. That to me are the things that help you on everyday touring, so seems the bill will be even worse, because you will still need to add options and OEM are too expensive.

I loved adding all my options on my AT and for stuff like the aux lights, I bought a crazy good kit from alliexpress, for less than 50$, did install myself, crash bars I got OM bars half price from Honda bars, I really don't buy in the prices of these "BMWesque" Hondas, that's where I think they are getting out of touch.

I really dislike the looks of the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, that's why I didn't buy it, but look at specs, for curiosity I added all options like my Triumph and final price was 15'342Chf, so same price as the Tiger 800 and they have a shifter on the Yamaha.

BTW are the prices you told me in USA, without taxes depending on each states, that's why it's so cheap or not !?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
My problem here is more on the philosophy, honestly it feels like looking at a BMW brochure, 6 models but I still didn't see anywhere clearly if centerstands are stock on the ATAS, also seems no heated grips

BTW are the prices you told me in USA, without taxes depending on each states, that's why it's so cheap or not !?
I would think the heated grips wouldn’t be something the just got rid of on the ATAS..

The price quotes were just STARTING prices(base model’s) and also not including any taxes/registration fees/ and here we have what’s called a destination charge, that is basically a the shipping charge to the dealer from the warehouse (usually around 450$).. Then the average sales taxes is around 6% or so in most cases

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here in Canada there are only 4 models. The base AT and the Adventure Sport with or without DCT. I was looking at the Honda Canada website and they don't list heated grips but almost every review I've seen or read says they are there.

I require heated grips, a centre stand, and drop protection. I'm pretty sure heated grips are standard, centre stand is optional, and the "light bars" are only good against light drops so I already expect to add accessories. My hope is that the aftermarket can provide some luggage options before I have to shell out the Honda dollars for the hard panniers. No price on those yet but I expect them to be over $2000 all in. Probably more like $3000 with the top box. My current SW-Motech panniers on my CB500X were $1500 total without the top box.

My understanding is that some places in the world are getting the option of an Adventure Sport without electronic suspension. That would bring the models up to 6. Not here.

I am ordering my AT AS DCT in a few weeks when I have the time to go to my dealer and make a deal including trading in my current '17 CB500X. This was perfect timing for Honda to come out with an AT that fixes some of the little things I didn't like about the previous model as I have been looking for a bigger bike for adventure touring. I've done over 20,000 kms in 1.5 years on the CB500X. It works fine but I want cruise control for the long highway stretches and better capability off road when I'm there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here in Canada there are only 4 models. The base AT and the Adventure Sport with or without DCT. I was looking at the Honda Canada website and they don't list heated grips but almost every review I've seen or read says they are there.

I require heated grips, a centre stand, and drop protection. I'm pretty sure heated grips are standard, centre stand is optional, and the "light bars" are only good against light drops so I already expect to add accessories. My hope is that the aftermarket can provide some luggage options before I have to shell out the Honda dollars for the hard panniers. No price on those yet but I expect them to be over $2000 all in. Probably more like $3000 with the top box. My current SW-Motech panniers on my CB500X were $1500 total without the top box.

My understanding is that some places in the world are getting the option of an Adventure Sport without electronic suspension. That would bring the models up to 6. Not here.

I am ordering my AT AS DCT in a few weeks when I have the time to go to my dealer and make a deal including trading in my current '17 CB500X. This was perfect timing for Honda to come out with an AT that fixes some of the little things I didn't like about the previous model as I have been looking for a bigger bike for adventure touring. I've done over 20,000 kms in 1.5 years on the CB500X. It works fine but I want cruise control for the long highway stretches and better capability off road when I'm there.
Indeed in Switzerland there are 6 models, but as you explain I find pretty distastefull with such prices on ATAS here, to have to change crash bars and luggage and center stand adding more cost.
At least my Triumph was complete for less, It goes too much in the BMW dirrection here, less is more hehe >:) !

·
Registered
78 Posts

The heat grips are standard. Last week I have seen the prices of the accessories the center stand is here 184,00 euro there are serveral packs which you can buy from 600 to 3500 euro. I l wait for the aftermarket crash bars (OM or HEED) because what I see from the pictures the Honda version is same as the old one.
It is not known yet or Honda will have an introduction offer on the bike. I expect that my bike will arrive within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The heat grips are standard. Last week I have seen the prices of the accessories the center stand is here 184,00 euro there are serveral packs which you can buy from 600 to 3500 euro. I l wait for the aftermarket crash bars (OM or HEED) because what I see from the pictures the Honda version is same as the old one.
It is not known yet or Honda will have an introduction offer on the bike. I expect that my bike will arrive within 2 weeks.
I'm curious then, with heated grips standard and stand at 184, what can be 3500 euros I Don't see much more things than luggage !?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm curious then, with heated grips standard and stand at 184, what can be 3500 euros I Don't see much more things than luggage !?

I didn’t see everything because it was just online. The dealer will call me if he has the complete overview.
Luggage motorprotection bars fog lights frame extensions for mounting suitcases. I expect that the price are including labour by the local dealer for mounting everything on your bike.
On my current bike I have mounted the complete set of OM which was 800 euro and it took me a 6 hours.
6 hours of labour incl workplace cos als 600.
If I have a update I let you know.

Kind regards

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes and no Davy F.... But Djairouks is not to blame so, yea IF DJ had rode his AT 50km a year only on sunny days at a speed a kid on a bike could pass him kept it in a temperature/humidity controlled environment, he WOULD have a nice clean brand new looking AT..... ????Hmmmm really ???? No. Honda did really really screw up on the first models. Now I commend Honda on addressing those issues and also listening to the feed back and improving the newer models. But the flagships launch was pretty much a “black eye” for Honda. The AT is an A D V E N T U R E bike, by definition it should be ok to get it wet, expect it to handle and operate in rough environments and bad terrain. Basically a mans bike that is not some “garage queen” baby that MUST be kept super clean and dry and just pushed around the garage for show. But yea HAD Djairouks just done that with his he would have a pretty new looking AT sitting at his place right now. But he didn’t, to me, it sounds like he rode it like an adventure bike SHOULD be ridden and, simply, it failed him, he did not fail the bike....
WOW....you obviously pigeonhole my bike as unused as it is immaculate, but don’t take into account I’ve taken it from Ireland all over the UK, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany in all sorts of weather. Therefore, I guess I haven’t failed the bike, nor it failed me. :wink2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
WOW....you obviously pigeonhole my bike as unused as it is immaculate, but don’t take into account I’ve taken it from Ireland all over the UK, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany in all sorts of weather. Therefore, I guess I haven’t failed the bike, nor it failed me. :wink2:
Well just be happy you got one with better materials and your gearbox didn't scare you like mine, the Triumph dealer who took it back, used to work for Honda and he was shocked at materials, he told me it's a shame and not a problem of taking bad care of the motorcycle, no motorcycle even poorly maintained should look like that after 2 seasons, these were his words.
So I see crappy ones might not be the majority, still doesn't mean either your or my experience demans the fact, Honda quality went severely down in the AT and my older cheaper Yamaha looks great, so that speaks of the care I take of my bikes.

I honestly could have skipped putting so much money on a new bike, after only Driving 34'000Km, it wasn't really out of wanting to change, when the car on the highway almost crashed in my rear, because of the false neutral 3rd time in one Week, no one I think would find this fine or fun…

Sure hope yours keeps on being reliable for long though !

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Not yours per say, but just making a point in general... That Honda kinda failed the point (at first) that we do, as “street’ bikes go,, abuse the h e l l out of them; getting them wet, dirty, cold, very hot, bouncing and generally thrashing them. And as such, things should not easily rust or deteriorate real quickly ..Who knows, maybe it was more on the suppliers trying to skimp a littler here and there. Case in point the spoke issue.
I don’t know maybe I’m just expecting to much...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not yours per say, but just making a point in general... That Honda kinda failed the point (at first) that we do, as “street’ bikes go,, abuse the h e l l out of them; getting them wet, dirty, cold, very hot, bouncing and generally thrashing them. And as such, things should not easily rust or deteriorate real quickly ..Who knows, maybe it was more on the suppliers trying to skimp a littler here and there. Case in point the spoke issue.
I don’t know maybe I’m just expecting to much...

Well maybe I'm also expecting too much and Triumph might also not be better time will tell anyway, my point was also that all Honda did in my case is minimize problems and try to make me pay more, for their own skimping, the dealership guy was nice and tried his best, but I expected better from the number 1 manufacturer as they claim to be !

So I'll be spectator from now and might come abck to Honda, if quality gets back on track, but for now they lost my trust it's that simple !

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Well maybe I'm also expecting too much and Triumph might also not be better time will tell anyway, my point was also that all Honda did in my case is minimize problems and try to make me pay more, for their own skimping, the dealership guy was nice and tried his best, but I expected better from the number 1 manufacturer as they claim to be !

So I'll be spectator from now and might come abck to Honda, if quality gets back on track, but for now they lost my trust it's that simple !
I agree with you, it a sad trend, not really Honda per say, but a lot of companies are slowly developing a “live for today” attitude. They are getting away from long term forecasting or planning - and developing a make as much money as you can today attitude And with any process that requires companies to come together to make a finished product getting involved with a company like that gets screwed, it’s Honda’s name on the finished product even tho they most likely did not make the part that failed they get the blame. Unfortunately on top of that it is a numbers game; yea IF. I got a bike from a manufacturer who made 25 bikes a year and had any quality issues with it I’d punch them in the face, but making thousands of bikes a year from a hundred of different suppliers well the law of averages just has to go up.. That said Honda should know better and been more diligent and not ended up with a “black eye” on this issue(‘s) hopefully they have picked up their game and we’ll see with the new model 2020..

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with you, it a sad trend, not really Honda per say, but a lot of companies are slowly developing a “live for today” attitude. They are getting away from long term forecasting or planning - and developing a make as much money as you can today attitude And with any process that requires companies to come together to make a finished product getting involved with a company like that gets screwed, it’s Honda’s name on the finished product even tho they most likely did not make the part that failed they get the blame. Unfortunately on top of that it is a numbers game; yea IF. I got a bike from a manufacturer who made 25 bikes a year and had any quality issues with it I’d punch them in the face, but making thousands of bikes a year from a hundred of different suppliers well the law of averages just has to go up.. That said Honda should know better and been more diligent and not ended up with a “black eye” on this issue(‘s) hopefully they have picked up their game and we’ll see with the new model 2020..

If I'm not wrong there's also the point that, today only Yamahas are fully manufactured and tested in Japan, so one can guess attention to details might be better and mentality among suppliers if all Japanese might be easier to produce quality parts.
I remember first year of the 1200 VFR, reading about issues on the bikes that were all built in Italy, in a new Honda factory, when you delocalize there is always a price to pay, no matter what CEOs think.

The Triumph guy told me that supposedly, Tigers are made in Thailand, but engine sensitive assembly, like crank cases are made in england, the Finished bike is then completely inspected in England and shipped in Europe.
Hopefully it won't suffer from "Thai" ingeneering so to speak !

Sorry for being off topic, have a good day !

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
If I'm not wrong there's also the point that, today only Yamahas are fully manufactured and tested in Japan, so one can guess attention to details might be better and mentality among suppliers if all Japanese might be easier to produce quality parts.
I remember first year of the 1200 VFR, reading about issues on the bikes that were all built in Italy, in a new Honda factory, when you delocalize there is always a price to pay, no matter what CEOs think.

The Triumph guy told me that supposedly, Tigers are made in Thailand, but engine sensitive assembly, like crank cases are made in england, the Finished bike is then completely inspected in England and shipped in Europe.
Hopefully it won't suffer from "Thai" ingeneering so to speak !

Sorry for being off topic, have a good day !
Lol no worries on being off topic, a good conversation is a good conversation :grin2:
Totally agree.. Usually the less people involved in making something results in a better product or at the very least a more carefully made product.

·
Registered
16 Posts
**** no!

I just got my KISS 2017, she has all I need and some, flat footed I may add. Did I mention @ a steal of a price and more than fair trade.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I just got my KISS 2017, she has all I need and some, flat footed I may add. Did I mention @ a steal of a price and more than fair trade.
Lol! You sound like some people on my old KLR650 forum... THAT was/is a KISS bike...

·
Registered
78 Posts
My ATAS is arrived at the dealer and we are waiting for the license plate. So when everything goes well I can pick it up on Friday.

81 - 100 of 156 Posts