Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on gravel I’ve only got her up to 113mph, I’m thinking only because of the length of space needed, I’ll find a spot yet that has a open enough view that I’m not concerned with cross traffic, human or amimal. But on tarmac I managed to find a spot and make 115mph. This was not hitting the rev limiter, so, question, anyone get it over 115mph ?
Of course none of us are doing this or have done this on any open public street and are obeying the posted speed limits..
BTW the speedo said 117mph…

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
261 Posts
Of course none of us are doing this or have done this on any open public street and are obeying the posted speed limits..
Of course, just like I didn't develop a wobble at 190 km/hr when I had my hand muffs installed (not on gravel). Bwahahaha, I think I set a new Canadian Land Speed Record for a Milk Crate that day, peaked at 198 kms/hr. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bone stock on a 2020 ATAS DCT is 116 mph, then the gov'nr kicks in. It's just shy of redline
Like I said 115mph(gps) speedo was dancing back-n-forth 16-17 mph not sure it could push that 7 more mph … maybe down hill with someone 1/2 my weight (?)…

Reactions: ursman

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can hit 190 km/hr (118 mi/hr (on the speedo)) no problem with the Nelson-Riggs adventure bag on. I don't really go out for a high speed run, I just end up realizing I am having too much fun and then look and check where I am at. Hahahaha

Reactions: Sled

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am thinking the DCT is to blame for the limited top end???

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking the DCT is to blame for the limited top end???
I do know that they have a slight difference in gear ratio..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol..
it’s almost a OCD thing with me, I just gotta see where a speedometer stops at ( besides 0 )… ESPECIALLY if its a dial one. Luckily I don’t own a sport bike… I’d been in a world of 💩if I had a bike that the speedo went to 200mph..

Reactions: ursman and Sled

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lol..
it’s almost a OCD thing with me, I just gotta see where a speedometer stops at ( besides 0 )… ESPECIALLY if its a dial one. Luckily I don’t own a sport bike… I’d been in a world of 💩if I had a bike that the speedo went to 200mph..
Hahaha it is a healthy curiosity. I will make it my mission to find out what my max is once I can ride again, and before I add a 44 rear sprocket.

I sold my sport bike when my Girlfriend/now Wife got pregnant with our first. It was such a smooth machine I would coast with one arm at 180km/hr and it felt like 60. The fastest I saw on the speedo was 331 km/hr, and I know I pushed it faster, but I was busy loosing the cars with fancy lights. Between that run and often finding myself going double the speed limit on a very regular basis, I decided I wanted to meet my child. Something in my brain snapped and I didn't want to ride it anymore.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hahaha it is a healthy curiosity. I will make it my mission to find out what my max is once I can ride again, and before I add a 44 rear sprocket.

I sold my sport bike when my Girlfriend/now Wife got pregnant with our first. It was such a smooth machine I would coast with one arm at 180km/hr and it felt like 60. The fastest I saw on the speedo was 331 km/hr, and I know I pushed it faster, but I was busy loosing the cars with fancy lights. Between that run and often finding myself going double the speed limit on a very regular basis, I decided I wanted to meet my child. Something in my brain snapped and I didn't want to ride it anymore.

The grim reaper & his wife speed; i know them both by their fist names.. Sad will be the day he catches me with her…

Reactions: TheMKoi

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
578 Posts
Unfortunately no. I can't make these speeds because of my 44-tooth rear sprocket and the rev limiter on the bike. I've had Ol' Red up to very respectable 3-digit speeds BEFORE adding the extra 2 teeth to the rear sprocket. Since I've become more torque-oriented, top speed questions have disappeared in our wake. Now the questions are more like whether I can wheelie without yanking hard in 2nd gear. 1st gear...not a problem!

On a side note, I was pulling out of a gas station recently with 42 rear teeth onto a fast 2-lane highway...55 mph. I wanted to get out ahead of a big dually coming fast right to left. I left the lot in 1st and **** near did a low side as the rear slid out from under me. This was with Shinkos on the rear rim. I was doing a Marc Marquez move to keep the bike on two wheels and stay ahead of the Ford. Boot on the pavement, praying for deliverance, until the back finally bit and got us going. Red was a rocket that day!

This event, and others, has me beginning to wonder if the will of an 18 year old in the body of a 62 year old might not be bad for long term health.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
154 Posts
[QUOTE="WeeWilly, post: 362051, member: 38413
... wonder if the will of an 18 year old in the body of a 62 year old might not be bad for long term health."
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the will of an 62 year old in the body of a 18 year old might be worse...

congrats for your M Márquez move!

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
I have seen an indicated 130 mph on a 2017 DCT, bone stock. It was up against the rev limiter in either 5th or 6th. Long flat road at about sea level.

Surprisingly stable, back when it had the stock 80/20 tires on.

I try to keep it under 95, with the Shinko's though.

Next tires going on are Mitas E07+'s. Have not looked at their speed rating, yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts