Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't normally take the AT to a track day but on Monday the only bike available to me was my africa twin so I took it, as it was a chrono day I knew the timing would put me in the correct group so that wasn't a worry being on an unsuitable bike.
I was a little concerned about the 21" front wheel and 90 section trail tyre but thought as long as I ride sensibly they would be ok, the 18" rear was a whopping 150 section so that would be ok. The other concern being the very soft suspension but I adjusted that best I could so the damping felt ok.
So how was it, surprisingly a lot more capable than I thought although mid corner speed was poor as it scraped solid bits it was ok on the brakes and out the corners. I had to concentrate way more than a 'proper' bike and the bike moved around loads, it was good as it meant I had to be smooth but as a bonus I learnt loads more about how my riding affects a bikes especially as every move was felt. I had a brilliant time and if anyone ever hesitates because of the bike or tyres they have I'll tell them to get out there it doesn't matter :)

https://youtu.be/dlZXKN278pU

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hahahaha!!!

Props to you for being brave to lean that bulldog.

Question, what tire pressure were you running? And by "moving loads", do you mean the suspension was pogoing mid-corner? Good stuff, mate!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think towards the end of a 20m session the rear shock was overheating a bit, I had rebound damping on full to keep it under control for most of the session, the tyres too got a little hot and let go a little too. None of this is a complaint as the bike was very stable mid corner especially in the 100mph+ corners, I could think how to improvise it but tbh with the pegs occasionally scraping and knee on the floor in 90mph corners there’s nothing it needs for a road bike and to change just for track use is pointless, however it did prove how good the basic design is and part of me wants to try stiffer springs and a 110/90-19 front wheel and tyre ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts