Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding over 2,500 miles since I picked up my 2018 CRF1000A2 in June 2018, I made the mistake of thinking I could make it through the Mega Flash Flood damaged Box Canyon just NE of the Salton Sea, Ca.

BIG MISTAKE! The bike lures you into thinking it is a dirt bike then handles like a heavy street bike with the factory banana peels.

Anyway, I really like the bike, but 3 broken ribs later, I am putting Continental TKC 80's on it before I take it anywhere near off-road again. They were recommended to me after this guy that has a 2016 CRF1000L and works at the ECC service department in Escondido, CA. He had just put new dual sport tires on and hated them compared to the Continentals he just took off.

Best Regards,
Wicked55

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
The bike lures you into thinking it is a dirt bike then handles like a heavy street bike with the factory banana peels.

Best Regards,
Wicked55
Dạmn. Hope you heal up well.

I know what you mean about the bike--she handles the dry stuff so well, her dirt-DNA lulls you in; it's so easy to become overconfident. While I have the OEM's on her, I'm staying away from anything wet and deep.

Still undecided on which tires I'll go to for better off-road traction, just hate giving up too much on-road comfort and handling.

I was hoping to get away with something just a bit less aggressive in the end, like the 70s or something similar. I'll probably still have to stay away from some of the gnarlier stuff.

Be safe, Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts