Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the oil today on my 18 ATAS and installed new drain plugs, lol couldn’t decide what color to go with so I got one red and one blue. Nice plugs tho, no issues installing, a couple of pluses, one: magnetic end - two: a secondary O-ring seal along with the crush washer. But I got them more for the magnetic ends..

Got them here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M12-Alumin...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
And
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NiceCNC-M1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments

Reactions: noivson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice touch with the coloured (colored) plugs Dragon. More than I can say about the welding on the frame! Looks worse than my trade test piece!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice touch with the coloured (colored) plugs Dragon. More than I can say about the welding on the frame! Looks worse than my trade test piece!
Thanks

Yea a bit globy, but personally I don’t really care, I’m not planning on entering any bike shows :grin2: just as long as the penetration is good ... a pretty weld with no penetration is pretty useless...

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
600 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just remember that all of the anodized colored drain plugs are made from aluminum not steel as the oem drain plugs are. Easier to strip the heads and the threads and should have the threads lubricated with moly grease or anti seize to prevent them from galling as the anodizing wears through and there is aluminum against aluminum which can allow galling. It is always best to have dissimilar metals with threads and bolts. Don't over tighten them also as lubicated threads require about 25% less torque than dry threads and aluminum expands with heat more than steel and this will tighten them up as the engine heats up. As pretty as the anodized drain plugs are I like to stay with steel plugs. You can get steel magnetic drain plugs.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just remember that all of the anodized colored drain plugs are made from aluminum not steel as the oem drain plugs are. Easier to strip the heads and the threads and should have the threads lubricated with moly grease or anti seize to prevent them from galling as the anodizing wears through and there is aluminum against aluminum which can allow galling. It is always best to have dissimilar metals with threads and bolts. Don't over tighten them also as lubicated threads require about 25% less torque than dry threads and aluminum expands with heat more than steel and this will tighten them up as the engine heats up. As pretty as the anodized drain plugs are I like to stay with steel plugs. You can get steel magnetic drain plugs.
Agreed, not that it would happen to the OEM ones but I’ve stripped 3 different bolts on the AT one I had to chisel off. So point being; just because it’s OEM doesn’t necessarily make it better either. BTW the (OEM) chiseled one was Replaced by an aftermarket titanium one, and it was the bolts for my skid plate...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts