Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick word about DS Bike Protection... I recently purchased their Raid toolbox for my AT. Right after I clicked the "purchase" button, I found a number of posts about their hit and miss quality. I crossed my fingers and hoped things would be ok. This was not to be the case. The box itself was fine, fairly well constructed, good powder coating and a sturdy lock. The mounting system however, was where the product fell miserably short.

I have SW-Motech Evo pannier racks, and the toolbox was advertised to fit easily in the existing holes. After over an hour of positioning and repositioning, I found there was no way to get the box to mount as shown in the very poor directions, which have to be downloaded from there website and consist of a few pictures rather than being included with the product (I hate that). I went so far as to elongate the holes in the mounting brackets, but to no avail.

I contacted DS via Facebook, as that was the only way I could get a response. They requested pictures of the issue and took their time responding. Granted, the company is in Spain, but it still took a bit of patience waiting for them to get back to me. Ultimately, their solution was for me to drill into my rack in order to accommodate their poor design, rather than providing me with brackets that actually work. Needless to say, I will NOT be drilling, and I will be fabricating my own mounting system so I won't have wasted over 120 of my hard-earned dollars.

To sum up, DS Bike Protection truly embodies the phrase Caveat Emptor!...SC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have now reached out to DS on several occasions, and they are refusing to remedy the situation. I asked for a full refund and a shipping label so that I may send it back to them in Spain, but they are refusing. Avoid this company like the plague!…SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi clark ,

Did you get anywhere with this company in Spain ? I ordered a tool box from them in May which took 6 weeks to arrive and then when I tried to fit it I found they had sent the wrong model to fit the Givi pannier bars instead of the SW Motech bars, informed them and was asked to send pictures to prove it was indeed wrong! weeks later I'm still without the right part and all I get from the company is blanks, Any ideas how to move forward would be helpful and if anybody thinks about using this company Don't!

John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PayPal has escalated my claim, so we'll see. I figured out a way to mount the box without drilling the pannier rack, but it's at an angle. It'll work, but it's kind of funky...SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the DS issue has come to a conclusion, but certainly not to my satisfaction. Paypal decided that requiring me to pay even more money to send the toolbox back to Spain was a good remedy. It would have cost me another $40+ to send it, with no guarantee of reimbursement of the additional shipping, only the original cost of the box within 30 days. Nope! Sorry! I'm not going to spend another dime on those A-holes! I've come up with a workable mounting solution, so I guess I have no choice but to live with it. Let my saga serve as a warning to everyone else...

AVOID DS BIKE PROTECTION AT ALL COSTS!!!...SC

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sure many of you know, but paypal is not your friend and they have zero interest in protecting anyone but their own self interests.

If at all possible, pay with your credit cart and not paypal. You can always dispute the charge and get a full refund.

As a retailer, paypal back charged me over $3k for items I overnighted to a customer. I required an adult signature from UPS and got it.

When I submitted the information to Paypal about the confirmed address, the signature from UPS and an affidavit stating the consumer claim was fraudulent, paypal sided on the consumer because they said they never signed for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
These types of posts are helpful! Thanks for the pay pal comment.

Also Clark, see my not-as-bad post in body and appearance, about the Givi windshield.

Sorry about your experience, good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One more comment. I like to stay with well known bigger name vendors.

Pro Moto Billet, Adventure Tech, SW Motek and Pro Cycle are a few.

Givi shield came from Twisted Throttle.

Givi the problem, not TT.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
I only use paypal for trusted vendors; for all others I keep the transactions small and use a pre-paid credit card. Otherwise I'll use a bricks and mortar store. The internet is great, but like anything the unscrupulous will take advantage. And besides that, a lot of the big international shippers such as Amazon have cut back to virtually zero the number of items they will ship to us here in Australia, leaving more room for the sharks to operate - so much for free trade! Oh well, it was good while it lasted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made an order in February for pannier and top box stickers.

Short storey they lied twice about having shipped goods. This was evidenced by their own emails and tracking numbers contradicting each other.

Although they ship internationally they hide behind Spanish language even if you you use Google translate in your responses.

When I contacted PayPal, DS Bike Protection sent half the order only i.e. Side pannier stickers, but not top box stickers. I had been charged for both.

I advised PayPal Resolution Centre.

After a month considering, this last point, PayPal have today informed me that they find for DS Bike because that had a tracking record (no evidence about was shipped!).

DS Bike Protection are liars and cheats (aided and abetted by PayPal. AVOID.

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
Hey @SJB3000 - sometimes items get stuck in the mail system and it feels like they were never sent. I have seen this a few times. I think the longest was six months for a relatively lightweight item (pre-Covid times). In my cases I believe the items got stuck in my country mail system, not the sender's country. Nevertheless, hang in there - you might be surprised. I was.

While waiting around, feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts