Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new AT DCT didn't come with a rider's handbook and most of what on the internet about riding the bike is not very specific about how to navigate the different transmission modes and various electronic features of the bike. My bike was delivered last week but I've just had knee replacement surgery and can't ride it yet. Yesterday I sat on it, started it up, and tried to go through the different settings. It's not quite as intuitive as I had hoped.

Okay, you're on the bike, side stand up, engine off. Turn on ignition, press combination kill stitch/starter button and the engine starts. While holding brake, press button with D/S and transmission is in fully automatic Drive mode. Push same button to S and transmission is in lowest Sport mode.

First question: How do you toggle through the three sport modes and select one of them?

Second question: How do you go to Manual mode and how do you change back to Automatic mode without turning off the bike and starting over.?

Third question: How do you determine which traction control mode the bike is in and how do you change that. Is there an indicator on the dash? Which mode is best for riding in the rain, high or low?

And finally, can the bike be push started in case of a flat battery?

In a week or two I'm going to ride my new bike to bike club meeting and I know I'm going to get a lot of questions. Please you guys, help me out with some answers. :grin2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried to download the file and couldn't get it to work on my ipad. I'll try tomorrow on my computer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brand new AT DCT didn't come with a rider's handbook and most of what on the internet about riding the bike is not very specific about how to navigate the different transmission modes and various electronic features of the bike. My bike was delivered last week but I've just had knee replacement surgery and can't ride it yet. Yesterday I sat on it, started it up, and tried to go through the different settings. It's not quite as intuitive as I had hoped.

Okay, you're on the bike, side stand up, engine off. Turn on ignition, press combination kill stitch/starter button and the engine starts. While holding brake, press button with D/S and transmission is in fully automatic Drive mode. Push same button to S and transmission is in lowest Sport mode.

First question: How do you toggle through the three sport modes and select one of them?

Second question: How do you go to Manual mode and how do you change back to Automatic mode without turning off the bike and starting over.?

Third question: How do you determine which traction control mode the bike is in and how do you change that. Is there an indicator on the dash? Which mode is best for riding in the rain, high or low?

And finally, can the bike be push started in case of a flat battery?

In a week or two I'm going to ride my new bike to bike club meeting and I know I'm going to get a lot of questions. Please you guys, help me out with some answers. :grin2:
No need to hold the brake, just hit the D/S button to engage Drive
Tap the D/S button to go into whichever sport mode you were in last time, press and hold while in sport mode to change the mode, 1 bar = least aggressive, 3 bars = most aggressive.
Just tap manual mode button to engage full manual and tap it again to disengage.
ALL gearbox and torque modes can be changed on the fly, there is no need to stop to change any mode. (except you cannot select Neutral unless stationary).
Torque trigger on the left bar toggles through 3 modes. 3 bars = most interference, 1 bar = least. (indicator on left of display, next to T in a circle)
Hold the trigger to disable traction control for offroad.
The G (gravel) button toggles gravel mode on and off (only useful offroad as it speed up gearchanges at the expense of smoothness)
You CANNOT push start an automatic, this is however pretty irrelevant in the modern world as it is near impossible to push start a bike with a slipper clutch, and most management systems don't enable the ignition until fuel rail pressure is up. NO battery power. NO go.

For what its worth I love the DCT, once you are used to it, it does everything better than a manual.

In the wet: Torque Control 3 bars, D mode
In the damp: Torque Control 2 bars, D mode
In the dry: Torque Control 1 bar, S 1 bar mode.

Full manual is brilliant if you want to be really involved and go for it.
D is great if you are just cruising.
Tweak your settings on the fly to suit your mood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great! Thanks for the download link on the DCT manual. I'm getting mine (2017 RWB) 1st week of April. Hopefully dealer is accurate with his estimate. This has been the longest wait ever. Like watching paint dry!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would like to add... when trying to backup the DCT put it in neutral... when the DCT is in D or in S mode .... The rear wheel is moving forward ....
Had a hard time backing up until I realized this fact

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I'm going over to the shop and try to learn all the different settings before I venture out on the streets which is a change for me. I usually just take off on a new bike and try to learn on the fly in whatever traffic is there. Maybe this bum knee isn't such a bad thing after all. I'm thinking I'm going to ride this thing next Monday, bright and early.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Apart from reaching for the non existent clutch and waggling your toes uselessly in the air, you'll have no trouble at all, it is a really easy bike to ride. Just leave the transmission in D while you get the hang of the bike then start to play with the settings. Still haven't tired of leaving the lights like i've been hit with a cricket bat. I strongly suspect you'll love it, They are a real giggle to ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
only suggestions :

- if u move uphill or downhill, better u are on S3 mode or manual on 1st gear, i've experienced on almost 75degree uphill & downhill, went okay on S3 mode but ideally u go with manual mode

- if u want change your transmission mode on the fly, u must release the throttle first then you can change it

- D mode ideally for city mode or clear and long highway but it's really boring, S1 i think more ideal

- On offroad mode at least u go with S2 or S3, gravel mode ON, ABS off ( u will get what u need on riding it)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts