Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone has a bright idea how to convert that single headlight to a double? And not turning the high beam on?

I just don't like it that there is only 1 of the headlights working... Feels like the other one is stuck.

I haven't seen a module out that can convert the high beam to a lower power so you have a normal double.

So if there isn't a module (yet)... are there any other options?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same opinion.

I would like to have dubble head light low beam ..

Any idea guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't imagine it will ever be financially viable for a company to produce a kit to do it. Shame because I agree it looks daft!

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my old 955 Tiger, a simple relay could be plugged into the lighting circuit to illuminate both headlights at the same time. Each headlight had twin filament bulbs. Most owners added the relay - the cost was minimal. Is a similar fix possible on the AT?

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is totally just a theory.... I dont think there is a power output difference between the two lights, but the aim is different. The Low beam seems to be pointed down and the highbeam up. Also cutting power would not be as simple because it is a LED light not a halogen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the same conversion on my old Tiger too. It was simple because twin filament H4 bulbs were fitted by the factory. I don't think these bulbs can replace single filament bulbs as the base is different.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ok, I just went outside and checked. The high beam is definitely a higher output. But it also is aimed higher. Since it is aimed up more this would still be a concern.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I made the same conversion on my old Tiger too. It was simple because twin filament H4 bulbs were fitted by the factory. I don't think these bulbs can replace single filament bulbs as the base is different.
They are LED, there isn't a filament like with the Halogen bulbs you are referring to.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd like to get the ball rolling with a fairly simple solution from the esthetics side; drill a tiny hole and insert a small LED to illuminate the reflector. The light throw will not be useful, but that means it will not blind drivers, though it will give the bike a more balanced look you desire.
The challenge will be locating the right spot to drill and mount a single small LED this will correctly hit the mirror.
The best part is that you can choose a color that looks cool or grabs attention.
I found an article that shows exactly what I describe.
https://www.fordf150.net/howto/headlightaccents.php
The daytime effect on the F-150 in the article is not useful here, but judging by the truck, I'd say the article is old and LED output much lower than what is available today.
This could be simply wired to the low beam without adding any real power draw, now would it affect the high beam, it just says on all the time.
Heck you could add one to each side if you go the "cool color" route; maybe I'll do it in red to match my Twin :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have previously come across an electronic module to do what you are looking for. I cannot find it at the moment but seem to remember it was about 79 usd. An American site somewhere. It basically dimmed the output of the main beam. When you set it up you set the brightness level to match the dipped beam and when you press the full beam it reverts to full power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have previously come across an electronic module to do what you are looking for. I cannot find it at the moment but seem to remember it was about 79 usd. An American site somewhere. It basically dimmed the output of the main beam. When you set it up you set the brightness level to match the dipped beam and when you press the full beam it reverts to full power.
I do know the regular modules.. but this is LED. And even though LED is dimmable; it's not that simple for this bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am pretty certain it was LED compatible. It had a box of tricks that did the work. I seem to recall it a was quite a few connections and I was not happy having to dismantle the bike to fit it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am pretty certain it was LED compatible. It had a box of tricks that did the work. I seem to recall it a was quite a few connections and I was not happy having to dismantle the bike to fit it.
Can you have a look in your browser history? :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have reached out to a few company's here in Holland. And they don't offer a kit for this bike. They had a look at my bike and said they can't do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is a kit here, ................................. was advertised on the Facebook couple of weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet. cannot post links apparently.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts