Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm near 90/10 (at nudging 1K miles on bike).
But hoping for closer to 70/30 over time.

2018 ATAS. Hepco & Becker lower engine guards; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; Givi Tall Windscreen D1144ST; OEM skid-plate; OEM uppers; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; OEM tires; Hepco & Becker Hand-Guard Protectors (waiting for longer screws to install).
Probably will soon install:
More rugged Skid-Plate; Radiator guards; Headlight guard, bigger and more rugged Foot-Pegs.

Gary

·
Registered
64 Posts
95% will overestimate the offroad figure

Reactions: RallyX and Drum Dog

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm probably 80/20 around here in the prairies, if I lived in better mountain terrain it would be more gravel roads. I did one slick mud covered road earlier this summer with the stock tires and didn't make it 300 yards before it looped around on me and went down hard, lesson learned. I've got a YZ250X for the trails and won't be trying to push this 500+ pound piggy through similar terrain. Probably go with TKC70 type tires after stockers are shot, maybe E07's

·
Registered
284 Posts
But I'm rocking it off-road nearly EVERY SINGLE DAY, guys.

I live in one of those small "No Way Out" neighborhoods, with a few lanes ending in cul-de-sacs and a couple of courts.

But at the end of one lane there is a grassy patch that leads to an adjoining neighborhood. It's blocked with posts so no cars can get through; it's a regular path for dog walkers.

I go through on my bike every chance I get. It saves me about 30 seconds, getting out to the main road. 100 feet of grass over buried pavers and the ubiquitous dog turds.

If I come and go both ways, it's 200 feet of off-road every day!

Thank goodness I installed those engine guards! Adventure is in my blood.

:wink2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
60/40 road/off-road. It would be more off road if i didn't have to ride so far to get to the dirt. I certainly didn't buy the AT to ride it on the road.

·
Registered
991 Posts
About 80/20 so far, maybe even 75/25 in 30,000 kilometres. AT is the tourer and gravel adventure bike, so far nothing too hardcore. It's been an absolute gem!

·
Registered
273 Posts
It isn't important if you go off-road, the main thing is to have an adventure bike that looks like it does go off-road when it is parked outside Starbucks!

In my case - I don't go to Starbucks, but I do ride on plenty of roads. Many of the roads are sealed, but there are no shortage of gravel roads around the place. I have a 50/50 tyre on the back (Mitas E07) and a 40/60 tyre on the front (Continental TKC-80) and they help me feel confident riding on gravel, grass & dirt. Still, the sealed road portion of my riding would be over 90% because I have to use sealed roads to get to the gravel roads. Luckily, the tyre combination I'm using seems to work well on the tarmac and is wearing quite slowly.

One of the reasons I bought the Africa Twin was so that I wasn't so limited to tarmac, I wanted the ability to tour wherever - even if it meant many kilometres of gravel roads. My goal is to tour all over the place, riding on the sealed roads when that is what is ahead of me and riding on the gravel roads when I encounter them. The Africa Twin seems to be a really good bike for that sort of riding, handling road riding very well with no problems on gravel either. I'm not worried about the percentages, just happy to have the ability for when it is needed.

Gravel roads:

Sometimes when camping there is some grass & dirt:

Then there is a motorcycle rally held on a farm:

I'm looking forward to much more travelling around the country, regardless of what surface I'm riding on!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in the UK. London (ish). Soooo 99/1 at the moment (I have 20 yards of mud between the garage and the road) !
But I bought the bike to travel - so Im aiming for 80/20 around the UK I think.

Further afield? Don't know - haven't been there yet - only got 200 miles on it so far :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
95% will overestimate the offroad figure
And 97.6% of all on-line statistics are fake. :grin2:

So far I only have about 2000 miles on mine, but about half of them were riding the Flatlander ADV route which is about 80% dirt including a pretty adventurous section of two track (Jeep road). Half of 80% is 40% so I guess I’m running about 60/40 so far.

I’m lucky enough to also have a pure street bike in the stable (FJR1300) which should keep the AT’s off pavement percentage up there. Then again, it’s just so much fun to ride the new AT seems to get the nod when riding paved back roads too. Warp speeds on the slab are the FJR’s forte.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts