Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a great deal on a left over 2017 DCT. I want to replace the stock tires with some 50% dirt, 50% street tires. I had no luck finding any tires with an H speed rating like the stock tires. Any ideas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pirelli Rally Scorpion STR are speed rated beyond H I think, and are a knob (vs block or grooved) tread design.

Keep in mind that the speed rating of a TL type tire needs to be derated if you run a tube in it. TT tire speed ratings are already low and account for the tube.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Mitas E07+ rear and Shinko 804 front. Both have a rating of T, which is lower than the H you're looking for. But, I have no plans of traveling faster than 118 MPH, much less 130. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
But, I have no plans of traveling faster than 118 MPH, much less 130. I highly recommend them.
While the scorpion rally str tire I posted might be rated for 130MPH (will our bikes even go that fast?) or faster, getting into triple digits (MPH) on any front tire with knobs, at least leaned over, and you might want a steering damper.

I can only imagine it's the same or more so for the knobbier 804 and TKC80.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the Rally STR on my Scrambler 1200 XE and wasn't impressed. Even new they looked like they had 3-4000km on them. Didn't last, wasn't that impressive offroad and overall I didn't find them better in any way over the Shinkos. The TKC80 rear tire wears so fast and square, I've also eliminated those from my options, and you tend to feel the vibrations much more. They look good and do well offroad, but again overall, I still prefer the Shinkos.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm on my second set of motoz tractionator GPS. I think for the way these tires perform and how and where I ride, they'll continue to be my goto tires. I would feel comfortable calling them a true 50/50...T speed rating (118). I have yet to encounter a situation where I wished I had a different tire. Mine see mud, dirt, gravel, rocks, good and bad pavement.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can't have everything. Where would you put it? - Steven Wright.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the Rally STR on my Scrambler 1200 XE and wasn't impressed. Even new they looked like they had 3-4000km on them. Didn't last, wasn't that impressive offroad and overall I didn't find them better in any way over the Shinkos. The TKC80 rear tire wears so fast and square, I've also eliminated those from my options, and you tend to feel the vibrations much more. They look good and do well offroad, but again overall, I still prefer the Shinkos.
Michelin Anakee Adv is really good I mist say. Had the first set this year and was truly amazed both on and moderate off road.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ride a 2017 CRF100L and after the stockers ran out I got TKC70 from Continental.
I am trying to go offroad whenever I can but reality is that 90% of KMs are on road.

Cannot fault these tyres so far (6000km and about 50% down)
Dont know what the speed rating is on them but they are silky smooth on motorway riding.
I never really get over 160kmh so high speed rating are not so important for me.
What I wanted, I got out of the TKC70s. Good onroad and reasonable offroad. Have tested in mud and they are OK, not great, but it is an acceptable compromise for the greate onroad performance.

Will be doing more offroad next year and am thinking about the Shinko 804/805 mentioned above.

The only downside of tires like this is they burn out faster. These are cheap enough for this to be less of an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run the Motoz tractionator on the rear. Absolutely love it. it will throw lots of mud, rocks, sand and still does good on pavement. It will get 5 or 6 thousand miles before I change it. I have never gotten more than 2500 to 4000 miles out of a rear before.

My last front tire was an Michelin Anakee Wild and it ran 8000 miles. It's an OK tire, not real aggressive bit it worked. I have a Motoz Rallz on the front right now, freaking awesome in the dirt, sand and mud. Pretty noisey on the highway and I only have about 500 miles on it, so the jury is out on it's longevity.

I also ride a 2017 AT and have a heavy throttle hand.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I asked my garage about the Motoz tractionator, but he could not source it, so I went for the Contis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts