Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bought a full set of Dumbells last week and have started a get fit before Covid regime, wife asked what are you doing at 63yrs ?????i replied she needs to start aswell as it will make it easier to pick the bike up as we seem drop it once every tour. She just laughed.
As we get older we lose muscle very easily and every year if we do not nothing. Weights are essential for maintaining a healthy body and keeping muscle mass. So yes it's sensible and if your wife could also do with weights if she actually wants to help you lol

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
LOL, doing the same thing! BTW, tell her that weights help slow/prevent bone mass loss, as well. Another age related benefit to weights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try righting a Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster with a full gas tank or a BMW K1200LTC sometime! The ATAS is a Honda 'Monkey' compared to these, my past Scoots!:rolleyes:

Sam

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bought a full set of Dumbells last week and have started a get fit before Covid regime, wife asked what are you doing at 63yrs ?????i replied she needs to start aswell as it will make it easier to pick the bike up as we seem drop it once every tour. She just laughed.
Well Sir,
I feel your Pain so to speak. I'm 67 and 6' 2.5" and am presently hovering around....ahemmmm, 244 lbs. Although I still consider myself somewhat fit, I dropped my BRAND NEW AT a few weeks ago, ON THE STREET and, based on the fact that it was laying sideways, with the tank facing down hill, there was no way on this planet, that I was ever gonna pick it up, without assistance which, I got.

But, skip forward a couple of weeks and, we visited my son and son-in-law in CA and, I had the bike with us. Well, one morning we, all three of us, took the bike out to the front yard of my son-in-laws place and, laid it down, on its side. Now, his yard has a very, very slight slant. The first time we laid it over, the tank was facing uphill. My son lifted it although with quite a bit of strain and he's about 30, 6' and about 200 and in good shape. My son-in-law was next. He's right at 51 years old and in pretty good shape. He's about 6'1 and 200 lbs and in good shape. He too had to strain a gut but, got it up. Now, it's my turn. Well, with quite a bit of gut wrenching, my butt up against the seat type method, I finally got it up.

But, we then turned the bike so when laid laid down, the tank was ever so slightly, facing down hill. You would not believe how much harder it was to lift it, from that type of situation. Both my son and son-in-law almost could not lift it. And, when it came to my turn, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!

So, I decided to simply purchase the Eastbound Motowinch and carry it, as a rescue tool to aid in assistance in raising the big girl when she decides to take a little nap. Yes, I wish I was a bit stronger too to be able to just sort of Yank that 550 lb. bike back up. I might start doing some sort of weight lifting but, I've never been a fan of that. We'll see. I applaud you for taking steps to improve your ability to potentially lift her, from her napping position.
Scott

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Scott: If you happen to "test" your newly found Motowinch with your AT, don't waste the moment: Video capture and post so the Forum can scrutinize, err, um, empathize and celebrate the resourceful keenness of a deep AT nap recovery. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Scott: If you happen to "test" your newly found Motowinch with your AT, don't waste the moment: Video capture and post so the Forum can scrutinize, err, um, empathize and celebrate the resourceful keenness of a deep AT nap recovery. :)
Hey DT,
Yep, was planning on doing a video of the test run. And "Scrutinize" is probably most accurate. But, I won't mind. I fully admit even though I was bull for most of my life, in the last few years in retirement, I've slacked off in keeping physically fit and busy. I still tinker and swim etc. But, I don't do a whole ton of strenuous work on a daily basis like I did for the FD. When I can't get on the big girl, ride her and basically control her, THEN it will be time to hang up the m/c keys. Utilizing this put-together on-the-scene winch just helps with piece of mind, and body.
Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As we get older we lose muscle very easily and every year if we do not nothing. Weights are essential for maintaining a healthy body and keeping muscle mass. So yes it's sensible and if your wife could also do with weights if she actually wants to help you lol

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
[/Q

·
Registered
213 Posts
You are never to old to do weights, my father is 86 & does bench press, arm curls, push ups & sit ups every morning before he goes out for a ride or a walk, if you want to keep or increase your bone density to held stop breaks when you fall down, weight bearing exercise is a must. this regime paid off a couple years ago when he had a big push bike crash into a steel pole & rode away with only a couple of broken ribs & plenty of bruising on his hips from the impact with the pole & ground, helmet was smashed, the average 86 year old would most likely of broken their hips & ended up with multiple fractures & most likely not recovered from the crash

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
(+1)

Once slammed downhill on left shoulder, sliding under bike, leg entangled in exhaust system. Thought for sure the leg was broken and shoulder toast. Was walking within 20 minutes and only had deep bruising on left hip/leg mostly because I crushed my FRS comm radio between hip and ground (its lithium battery started smoking). Shoulder was fine. I reckon the muscle maintenance sheltered me as I went down and bounced off the pavement.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Truth be known, she is more worried you get buff, and together with riding an AT, you will have no choice but to beat off all the salivating young girls with a stick!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts