Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed these tires less than a week ago on my 18 ATAS, so this is what I can say so far:

I installed these with tubes and was dreading the job but it actually wasn't that bad. Rear was stiff, but with some bead lube and some brute force I got it on there. The front was easier for sure. Didn't need much balance weight on either end.

On the street there's a noticeable difference in feel between these and the stock Dunlop 610s. Turn-in feels quicker and the front end of the bike feels lighter and took a little getting used to. Handling felt twitchy at first but feels better with more miles on it. The rear sits taller as I can no longer flat foot the bike. The front tire starts to howl at about 40 mph and quiets back down around 60 or so and seems to vibrate more than before.
On the dirt they are way better than the stockers. The front feels totally planted and tracks straight with no more floating. The rear is a lot more predictable when spinning and sliding and hooks up a lot better as you'd expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm coming off of Karoo 3s and have to agree that the Missions are taller. They also have a more narrow footprint that the Karoos. For me the Karoo 3s turned in faster. I'm anxious to see how they handle in the dirt and how long they last. The Karoo 3s are my favorite tire but don't last at all, 3.5k miles and they are shot. But in that time they are awesome. Hope this do better.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,190 Posts
Personally I love these tires, I think they are about a close as you can come to a “unicorn” tire...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed a set of these a month ago prior to a week long ride with approx 500kms of gravel and trails during the course of the week.
Pavement - I had no issues with traction on either dry or wet pavement. We had rain at least once every day on this ride, sometimes lasting the bulk of the day. At no time did I find them to be a noisy tire on the road.
Offroad - as with all 50/50 tires, they sucked in the mud, and during the rain while riding gravel roads I had some butt pucker moments also. On dry gravel and rocky / sandy trails they were great. I was very surprised at how well they did through sand.
I'm curious to see what kind of longevity I get out of them. I prefer these to the Heidenau k60's I have on my other bike, and now that Mitas changed things up, IMO, for the worse, these are looking pretty good for a repeat buy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This happened yesterday. Deep too. Not sure what did it. Class 6 road, rocky terrain.. maybe a sharp rock..

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,190 Posts
I will vouch for the not great in the mud sentiment. I had a bit of a rough day with my ATAS with the Trailmax Missions on Sunday.

One look at the tread pattern and you know mud isn't going to be their friend, but I really like the tire in general.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Second vote of confidence from me too..
They are a excellent 50/50 tire.
That said, being a 50/50 I don’t expect them to do good in mud, nor do I expect to scrape my knee on a turn on tarmac. But for the other 98% of the stuff you’ll do, they work really well...

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
71 Posts
Resurrecting this post to ask what tire pressures are you guys running in these

·
Registered
56 Posts
I run mine at recommended pressure for just about everything. Drop them slightly (5psi at most) for off roading. With the Dunlop trailmax missions mud is the only issue which is “unavoidable.”

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,190 Posts
I run mine at recommended pressure for just about everything. Drop them slightly (5psi at most) for off roading. With the Dunlop trailmax missions mud is the only issue which is “unavoidable.”
I think they do very good in mud, the big issue in mud is the weight of our bikes. True they are not as good as a full knobby, but as of yet I have had no issues with them not pushing the bike through the mud, yes much, much slower then I would imagine a knobby would do. Then too, I do avoid taking a 600# motorcycle into 2ft + of mud. (Just call me lazy on that one).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think they do very good in mud, the big issue in mud is the weight of our bikes. True they are not as good as a full knobby, but as of yet I have had no issues with them not pushing the bike through the mud, yes much, much slower the I would imagine a knobby. Then too, I do avoid taking a 600# motorcycle into 2ft + of mud. (Just call me lazy on that one).k
I think my next set of tires is going to be the Bridgestone “Battlax AX41.” @AT-Dragon I’m still very happy with your recommendation on the trailmax- killer tires, got me through some pretty nasty stuff. But there’s a lot of mud out West compared to the midwest as it turns out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On the street there's a noticeable difference in feel between these and the stock Dunlop 610s. Turn-in feels quicker and the front end of the bike feels lighter and took a little getting used to. Handling felt twitchy at first but feels better with more miles on it. The rear sits taller as I can no longer flat foot the bike. The front tire starts to howl at about 40 mph and quiets back down around 60 or so and seems to vibrate more than before.
On the dirt they are way better than the stockers. The front feels totally planted and tracks straight with no more floating. The rear is a lot more predictable when spinning and sliding and hooks up a lot better as you'd expect.
Have the identical howl that shows up from the front on my 18 ATAS right around he same speed on the Dunlop's I just put on, did it get quieter or just live with it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone mounted these tires by hand or did a dealer put them on I am waiting for a pair of them to arrive and I am wondering If I should try it or not. Thanks for any answer. Gandalf12

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
304 Posts
I did the front by hand, 3 tire spoons. Would suggest a couple of clamps to keep the beads together in the drop center. I wanted a more dirt worthy tire up front and will wear out the back some more, I'm too cheap to change it. I do have a bit of a howl up front, not bad. The front tire hates tar snakes compared to the stock 41's

Reactions: Sled

·
Registered
398 Posts
On the Africa Twin Dunlop recommends 28 front and 36 rear which is less than the OEM recommended pressures. I have been running 32 front and 36 rear on my Dunlop Missions. These have a very stiff sidewall and lower pressures than OEM are fine. Great tires!

Dan

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,190 Posts
On the Africa Twin Dunlop recommends 28 front and 36 rear which is less than the OEM recommended pressures. I have been running 32 front and 36 rear on my Dunlop Missions. These have a very stiff sidewall and lower pressures than OEM are fine. Great tires!

Dan
Just to elaborate on what bdalameda said….

As with cars; the tire pressure on the side of the tire is JUST FOR THE TIRE, NOT FOR THE VEHICLE. On ANY vehicle put the pressure at the recommended pressure on the sticker posted on that vehicle.. The manufacturer spends hundreds of hours testing these to find the best pressure for HANDLING, traction, and gas mileage .. in short the safest and optimal performance..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts