Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2017 Honda Africa Twin
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see for $119 plus $15 dollars in shipping I can get a right foot peg guard for my AT. (notorious break) Just curious if anyone has fabbed-welded a guard on there skid plate in order to get the same protection. My skid plate is heavy metal, not aluminum. Seems to me I could fab something up and just weld it to my skid plate. Thoughts on this?
Pictures would be great if you've already done this.

Thanks

· Registered
2017 Honda Africa Twin
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the link.

· Premium Member
296 Posts
Ooohhh the brace right. Ya it's not a guard against impacts as much as it's a mechanical reinforcement so the peg doesn't snap off from "normal" use. Where normal use might be coming down from a bit of air born shenanigans. I remember watching a video where a guy is up on the pegs rolling down a dirt road and it just suddenly snaps off under him. Known weakeness of the 16-17.

If you are a handy welder I don't see why you couldn't build your own but you want to provide support, not just impact protection.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have the Camel products heavy duty right peg brace on my 17'. My bike has been down pretty hard a few times and it was a piece of mind as 90% of the time I ride solo. The install is straight forward but you will need to remove the exhaust. Best to have exhaust seals on hand and spray the nuts on the header studs a couple times with PB blaster a day in advance. I am an engineer myself but felt I would have spent more time engineering my own fix. The Camel brace is rock solid I have zero worries of ever breaking that right peg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts