Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The lowering straps on the front and the lowering links on the back aren't only a performance
adder, it's also a safety mod. It keeps you from ending up on your ass in front of the audience....LOL. Just kidding but it always you to launch a bike with lots of torque without
doing a wheelie and turning a 14:00 second e.t. I'm actually surprised the rider got hurt,
that should have made for a nice slide as long as you didn't hit the fence....Ouch!
Looking forward to hearing how you make out. I keep threatening to do it with my CBR1000RR. I would imagine it would get into the 8's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Modern Technology

http://empiredragway.com/index.html

Yes, old trick, however, I saw a guy have a strap break mid track and pop his front end up. He left in an ambulance. I'm not looking to make it any faster than it is. I always run my bikes bone stock, sans lowering, exhaust, intakes, etc. I just like the fun of being at the track with good people.

I wasn't fast enough to order one here so I'll be waiting for quite some time at this point. I'm still up in the air about which trans to get. I don't think I'm ready for modern technology. :grin2:

Hi Lowcruzr,

My friend and I bought the DCT models because of the ability to shift the transmission while standing on the pegs, it would be impossible to do that on a standard. Plus you're always in gear and it won't stall on a hill or steep incline and leave you in a very awkward position to get out of. Should be a
lot of fun. In reality I always clutchless shift my upshifts on the other bikes trying to simulate a quick shifter, so now I'll have one .....kind of :grin2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Personally, I wouldn't do it with out having the ability to adjust the air/fuel ratio....I'm sure those motors aren't cheap. If you modify it to get more air in or out, it would be very easy for the engine to get dangerously lean. It's not worth the risk, a slip on ok but I wouldn't do a full race system with no cat with out the adjustability of the air fuel ratio....It's not worth the risk
in my mind......EZ {:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
For what it's worth...I've just stepped off a 2014 Hyperstrada that has the same power and torque figures as the AT.

I've only travelled 840 klms on the AT but about 80 of these have been in the twisties. I found that I was travelling at about the same pace as I was on the Duc....greatest limitation is tyre grip....especially at the front. My sense is that the front tyre is not bighting in as hard as you would want (this is an easy fix). But it is easy to string together a series of corners. The bike simply goes where you look.

My AT was not purchased to race but to do lots of miles and over some of those back roads we get here in Australia....none the less the AT is pretty capable in most areas (in my view) and look at the video 'The Crumble' posted he also tells a very similar story.

I have seen some after market exhausts...they show torque improvements of 5% and if you got that in power by flashing the ecu, would the cost be justified? It's real easy to spend a lot of money for little in the way of usable power.... I'd rather spend the dollars on a better helmet and bags. Most of us...and especially me...will never see the bike real limits...but it will be fun exploring!!

Hi Aussie Twin,

Do you think the lack of traction/grip on the corners is from the tiny footprint on the road from such a skinny tire, tire compound or needs some front suspension adjustments......or all of the above....LOL It is a pretty skinny tire, for sure!

:grin2:EZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
My friend and I bought the DCT models because of the ability to shift the transmission while standing on the pegs, it would be impossible to do that on a standard.
Im confused. Impossible to shift a standard tranny bike while standing on the pegs ? Every dirt rider in the world does it. On up hills, downhills, in rocks, in mud, with the clutch, without, you name it. Wont be any different on an AT.

·
Registered
93 Posts
HI Guys , fitted a Remus pipe on Friday , with insert removed it is way too loud , so followed some advise and did the mod to the insert , really happy with it .. just one thing the STD covers now look odd as they do not line up . Any one got a cure besides waiting for them to make headers ?

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
HI Guys , fitted a Remus pipe on Friday , with insert removed it is way too loud , so followed some advise and did the mod to the insert , really happy with it .. just one thing the STD covers now look odd as they do not line up . Any one got a cure besides waiting for them to make headers ?
There's a piece of aluminum holding the plastic cover up, you could try filing that down a bit at the risk of melting the cover, or wait till the aftermarket comes out with something better fitting.

I don't worry about mine, too many other things to focus on. :smile2:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.