Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had worn foam ear plugs in the past but now have a new Scorpion (flip up) helmet and installed the Cardo communication system. I connect to my Samsung S20 (Android) and it works pretty well (Waze, music, etc.).
But I am getting a bit of wind noise and don't want to crank the audio louder (and it still doesn't help much), mostly at higher speeds (50+).

I may try foam ear plugs and hoping that will cut the noise but not inhibit the phone's audio.

Any experience like this using either foam ear plugs and/or others (silicone, etc.)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 DCT ATAS
4 Posts
I have a different kit than yours but very similar (Shoei Neotec + Sena). For listening to music / navigation, I regrettably gave up on trying to use the in-helmet speakers with earplugs for the same reasons you describe. For me, I found wired in-ear monitors with a snug fit to give me much better audio, while doubling as pretty decent ear plugs at the same time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use foam earplugs (33 NRR) with my Cardo Packtalk Bold and Arai Corsair-X which can be fairly loud especially when I run the shorter windscreen on my ATAS. I tried Alpine Motosafe Pro earplugs and they are quite a bit louder so went back to foam.

Edit: I usually have to have the Cardo at close to full volume at highway speed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Klim Krios helmet with Sena comms. For me any extended riding over 55mph requires foam earplugs. If I don’t, my ears hurt. I’m borderline for needing hearing aids.
Yes, the foam plugs require turning up the volume of the comms, but stil not to max except at 75mph+. The audio quality seems improved compared to without them, probably due to wind noise.
Foam plugs do make its little less safe for city riding, in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,732 Posts
I wear silicone earplugs with Cardio Freedom 2+ and their speakers under Klim Krios Pro, Arai 3/4, and HJC modular. No problems, for me anyway. Volume is about half to two thirds up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks... any particular silicone earplugs? I see some plugs noted with mention of db levels and noise cancellation. Just want to be sure I can still hear my nav and music :)

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
Thanks... any particular silicone earplugs? I see some plugs noted with mention of db levels and noise cancellation. Just want to be sure I can still hear my nav and music :)
If you find some that have an accustic filter, you may find they work better for you for nav and music.

I have a pair of E.A.R, inc. instamold plugs with the accustic filter. They do a good job of quieting harmful noises while not muting my helmet speakers much.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,732 Posts
Yeah, all kinds of silicone plugs - they are all kinda similar, some with filters and others with none (so called "-23 dB to -32 dB" suppression). To my ears there is no significant difference. At freeway speeds I hear less wind noise and more of music. Voice can sometimes be a bit trickier (e.g. the news), unless I turn the volume up full - at freeway speeds.

I have used foam plugs too when I couldn't find my silicone ones.

Ultimately with the Cardo, if I plug in silicone earphones, I get superb and gratifying audio, almost no wind noise, but I hear a little less of what is going on around me at freeway speeds. I also have to deal with a wire from the earphones to the Cardo module.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have always worn IEM's with my Shoei+Sena combo. I get excellent noise protection + excellent sound. Currently using a set of Shure SE-215's with Comply foam tips.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I use foam earplugs (inserted properly all the way to give the quoted 33db reduction) and I have a Nolan in helmet system (the B601R I think). In order to hear music and sing along to it the nolan system has to be at max and my iphone has to be at max, but it's OK ..... and the satnav instructions can easily be heard. Certainly not hifi but then I can't even get that in my Lexus with 16 speaker mark Levinson kit at motorway speeds.
By the way - Apple's latest iOS has gone nanny state and will turn your volume down after it thinks you have listened to your headphone for too long at max volume. Very annoying .... but you can tell iOS that your headphones are not really headphones but speakers, and they say that's OK then :rolleyes:
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually use surefire earplugs and have no issue hearing music through the sena speakers even at highway speed. The surefire earplugs have different filters and will allow sounds up to a certain decibel and filter out (reduce) anything higher. I also have a pair of custom made earphones that I can plug directly into the sena or my phone but they are so good at blocking noise that I wouldnt be able to hear a siren if it was right behind me. They are incredible for fit and sound quality under a helmet but rarely wear them riding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use Alpine motosafe silicone earplugs and I wouldn't ride without them. They allow me to hear my Freecom 4+ (both music and voice) and are very comfortable on long rides. I find the foam plugs can become very uncomfortable after an hour or 2.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I use Alpine motosafe silicone earplugs and I wouldn't ride without them. They allow me to hear my Freecom 4+ (both music and voice) and are very comfortable on long rides. I find the foam plugs can become very uncomfortable after an hour or 2.
Thanks. I was just looking at them.
I guess I should ask which version you use?
The site a bit confusing but implies that you can set the level of attenuation (4 filters) so I guess you can configure them before inserting.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
sorry guys but I don't see the evidence for earplugs with filters. The windnoise from my helmet has all the frequencies, and when I had some custom earplugs made with a filter tube all it did was reduce the effectiveness of the earplug overall. Yes you can hear music louder but also you can hear windnoise louder .... and IMHO, we need to cut the overall noise by 33db or more. .... IMHO.
Neil I had the same problem of the yellow foam earplugs hurting my ears after a short while but I experimented with different types and can wear the Howard Leight Max Lite ones all day.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,732 Posts
I use, although much less often now, very similar plugs as the "Howards". They are comfortable, good sound blocking, but for all day use they are essentially single use. At least mine get a bit funky, and I don't mean waxy, but they stay less rolled up when reinserting. That is, they tend to get bloated.

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
sorry guys but I don't see the evidence for earplugs with filters. The windnoise from my helmet has all the frequencies, and when I had some custom earplugs made with a filter tube all it did was reduce the effectiveness of the earplug overall. Yes you can hear music louder but also you can hear windnoise louder .... and IMHO, we need to cut the overall noise by 33db or more. .... IMHO.
I would have to disagree with you from my own use, though everyone's experience is going to be different. Mine is also limited to one particular brand of custom-fit plugs. But I do at least have the experience of a direct comparison of the exact same earplug unfiltered vs filtered. I can't speak for all brands and largely it may be down to a $200+ custom-fit earplug working better than a generic fit costing less than $40.

I have two pairs of the E.A.R, Inc. custom earplugs. The first pair I purchased without the filter because I thought the filter was hokey. But I had a hard time hearing music/voice well when wearing them.

The second pair I purchased with the filter. The pair with the filter still reduces unwanted noise, while making it much easier to hear voice/music through the filter which is positioned more or less directly opposite the speakers. I decided to try the filters because my wife, who works in a dental office, had purchased a pair to cut down the noise from the highspeed dental tools, while still being able to hear patients talk.

But there are a lot of variables at play. Custom mold plugs vs generic fit? Is the filter material used cheap plastic or a more expensive ceramic? How much wind noise a helmet is letting in the first place? etc.

As for the roll-up type. I absolutely can't tolerate them in my ear beyond maybe 1 hour. I just have narrow ear canals. I have to roll them really skinny and they begin to become painful and uncomfortable beyond that due to the expansion.

·
Super Moderator
5,732 Posts
9 out of 10 times I use filtered silicone plugs. They seem to work well enough, fit my ear well, easy to insert, very easy to clean and carry. The other 1 out of 10 times I use foam because I have misplaced the silicone sets. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
I use the foam type when I need to run the snow blower or certain power tools. That's about the extent of my tolerance for them. I have a box of them out in the garage for that :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks. I was just looking at them.
I guess I should ask which version you use?
The site a bit confusing but implies that you can set the level of attenuation (4 filters) so I guess you can configure them before inserting.
I use the tour ones. I think they are 17db and for me personally they offer enough reduction to make riding comfortable, but also allow me to have some idea of what's going on around me (plus hear my cardo).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts