Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 African Twin, Adventure Sports ES, DCT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The weather was really nice this weekend! I was ready for another ride out in the Utah western desert. Temps were up around 70F. I wanted to see how many people were out here enjoying the weekend.

Todays ride (Saturday 4/3/2021) was 234 Miles. I left the house around 11:40 am. I had been looking at Google earth, and wanted to go to a sink hole that was located near the Menanite community of Eskdale, Utah which is out by the Nevada border. In this shot I am near the top of Marjum pass on the old highway 6 & 50. It's already 12:05 pm. I don't drive to fast on these gravel roads when I am out here by myself. I had the Spot X tracker running and created a shared view that I sent out to 3 friends so my wife and a couple of friends would know where I'm at.

The orange track on the map below is showing where I am currently at. My rides that I do on the Africa Twin I mark in Blue. Yellow tracks are RZR rides.

Riding down Marjum Pass on old highway 6 & 50. By the time I reached the other side of Marjum pass, I was taking my gloves and riding jacket off, which remained off for the rest of the day.

West of Marjum pass is Tule valley. There is a hardpan and a spring. The next set of mountains is Conger mountains. What is cool about the ridges before this range is the shoreline of the old Lake Bonneville. Lake Bonneville had a couple of shorelines, not sure if this is the higher one (Bonneville) or the (Provo), lower level. Here is an up close shot of the shoreline.

And another panorama of the same ridge line with the shoreline. Zoom into the photo and you can see the shoreline along the length of the ridge to the left (south) of the road.

Made it to Cowboy pass on the north side of the Conger Range. Lucky for me semis were transporting sheep over to Jerico junction to get sheared. 5 semis passed me while I sat at Cowboy pass. Lots of dust.

I finally made it to the turnoff to the sink hole north of Eskdale, UT. I placed a couple of push pins (waypoints) on the map before I headed out so I would know where to turn. No LTE cell phone service out here, but at least I have 3G.

Made it to the sink hole. There are supposed to be some steps so you can climb over the fence, but their busted out.

Here is the sink hole, pretty big, but not like the sink hole on the east side of the Notch peak range. I will have to ride there and take a photo to post here. It looked like you could walk down into it. This shot is looking NNE.

Looking WSW, is Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park, Nevada.

A lot of desert out here but at least someone could drive out here and pick me up if I broke down.

Continued on the next reply...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ride continued...

Headed down to Eskdale, Utah. I mentioned above that it is a Mennonite community, but wickapedia is showing that is it the House of Aaron which following links shows that it was started by a ex LDS member in 1945. Anyway, enough of the history... Out by the Utah / Nevada border.

Out to the Border Inn to get some gas and have a snack.

From the Border Inn I road on the Garrison Black Rock Rd heading down towards Crystal Peak. Crystal peak stands out from the surrounding mountains in this range. Here is another website with some good information about Crystal Peak. At this point in the ride I have covered 136 miles.

Another view of Crystal Peak.

From Crystal peak, I headed east and then turned north on the Blackham Canyon rd heading towards Ibex. Ibex is an area where English immigrant Jack Watson established a post office in the 1890s. Here is a shot at the Ibex site. In the foreground there is a rock dam used to collect water from the canyon.

Close up of the dam...

I have been out here several times over the years. First got interested in the place after reading the book "Hiking, Climbing & Exploring Western Utah's Jack Watson's Ibex Country" which was a really interesting book talking about this area. Jack Watson what a sheep herder that lived out in this area. At one time there was a US post office here.

You can see some Indian petroglyphs up the canyon when you hike past the dam.

Once you hike past this second smaller dam, you get to the point where you can see the petroglyphs... Well, on the next post...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIde continued...
Up under the ledges to the left (north) you can see the petroglyphs...

From Ibex, I headed over to Ibex Well which is on the south end of the Tule Valley Hardpan. In the distance is Notch Peak.

Map showing the Tule Valley Hardpan. The hardpan is dry so you can ride your motorcycle on it. Up near the north end I stopped and talked with a guy from Salt Lake City. He had a land Yacht. He was saying that there wasn't enough wind to use it.

Further to the north of the hardpan are the IBEX Crags. The IBEX crags are a popular rock climbing (bouldering) area.

Finally at the pavement with a 54 mile drive back to the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
RIde continued...
Up under the ledges to the left (north) you can see the petroglyphs... View attachment 61905

View attachment 61904

From Ibex, I headed over to Ibex Well which is on the south end of the Tule Valley Hardpan. In the distance is Notch Peak.
View attachment 61906
Map showing the Tule Valley Hardpan. The hardpan is dry so you can ride your motorcycle on it. Up near the north end I stopped and talked with a guy from Salt Lake City. He had a land Yacht. He was saying that there wasn't enough wind to use it.

View attachment 61907

Further to the north of the hardpan are the IBEX Crags. The IBEX crags are a popular rock climbing (bouldering) area.

View attachment 61908

Finally at the pavement with a 54 mile drive back to the house.
View attachment 61909
Awesome ride report @cdjones, I enjoy seeing unfamiliar landscapes (although some similarities to Oz outback) and back stories of inhabitance. How old would the petroglyphs be?

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
152 Posts
Thanks for bringing us along @cdjones. What a great read.

Reactions: sheath

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome ride report @cdjones, I enjoy seeing unfamiliar landscapes (although some similarities to Oz outback) and back stories of inhabitance. How old would the petroglyphs be?
Looking on the internet, I found several sites that basically had the date range all over the place, and also stating that it was hard to carbon date the writings to determine a time period.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What device are you using for navigation?
For navigation, I am using an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I like the fact that a cell phone has a GPS receiver that is always working even if the phone is no where near a cell tower. The mapping application is Avenza maps which is free on the App Store for both iPhone and Android devices. I really like Avenza maps. It doesn't have routing like Google maps but, I like the availability of maps from different publishers. Once you download a map, it is on the phone regardless of the cell phone signal availability.

On the screen shots, I am using the "Benchmark Maps: Utah Atlas Landscape bundle" which cost 19.99 and is the same as their printed atlas (50+) pages covering the state of Utah. I have also bought Arizona, and Nevada. You can also down load free maps, such as the Utah 7.5 minute Topo maps that have Topo lines over satellite / aerial views of the complete state. I have also downloaded maps from (BLM).. the original one.. no offense intended... to all of the Bureau of Land Management OHV areas in the state. National Geographic maps (I also have several of them such as the Piaute ATV trail), hunting unit maps, forest service maps etc are also available. Avenza appears to be a popular program that different services are making their maps available on.

Avenza has the ability to record GPS tracks as your riding. You can later export the tracks and waypoints as a KML, KMZ, or the tracks as a GPX file. I have also drawn paths on Google earth with associated waypoints and then exported them as a KMZ file and imported them into Avenza so that I can follow the path when I am out on my RZR, or Motorcycle.

Have been using this app since 2016-2017. So anyway, not to sound like a paid advertiser of this program, which I'm not, but I have really liked it so far.

Why did I settle on the Benchmark series of maps? I like the detail in them without the map being to cluttered with Topo information. To me it is the right level of detail where I can see the graded roads out in the west desert.

Here is something that has happened to my iPhone using it as a GPS on my Africa Twin. I think that the RAM wireless charging mount that I am using on the African Twin, or the other ram mount, subjected my iPhone to to much vibration. Now my image stabilization on the iPhone goes nuts when trying to focus on something close up, and even sometimes when far away. You can feel the phone buzzing when the image stabilization is going nuts. 3 or 4 of the photos that I took on this ride had kind of a jello look that you would normally see with a GoPro when it was mounted on a quad copter without a stabilizing mount. I am thinking about just taking a small pocket camera with me that will not be mounted on the bike nor subjected to the vibration. I will still use my iPhone, but maybe think about how I can mount the wireless charger to my tank bag so it isn't vibrating as much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solid, solid trip report @cdjones. Sooo enjoyable.
Thanks, I wonder some time if I am rambling on to much, but figure if someone is interested they will stick around and read it. I like to take lots of photos, and this trip I had 160 shots on the iPhone to go thru. I would rather come back from a trip and have to many photos instead of wishing that I had took some more. Even on this trip, there were a few photos I wish I would have took, like the person I met on the Tule Hardpan with the land yacht which was the reason I haeaded over in his direction in the first place. Was kind of shy, and didn't ask him if I could take a photo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great Trip Report!
Someday, if it ever stops snowing up here, I'm looking forward to getting back out to ride. This would be a fun adventure! Really appreciate the detail you put into this. 🍻

1 - 12 of 12 Posts