Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a few Farkles accumulated in the cabinet and took a few days of vacation during lockdown.

First step was to get the switched electrical block (Eastern Beaver PC8) installed, and then upgrade my quick and dirty Eclipse power outlet install. I ordered the "long" edition PC8 to have enough wire to mount under the passenger seat.

While fooling with the battery box to get the PC8 cables installed, I also installed the remainder of the Eclipse III jump start kit. It gives me both a BMW style and an SAE style connector direct to the battery, through a 40 amp fuse. Should be able to jumpstart with the supplied extension cords and clip kit.

BMW (larger) SAE (smaller) connectors somewhat conveniently mounted under the driver seat.

BMW style extension cord with adapter for clamp connections to another battery.

The PC8 install should give me the ability to add switched and un-switched accessories willy nilly, along with reasonably convenient jump starting options for myself or others.

I also relocated my 12v + USB outlet, and put it on one of the switched PC8 connections with a 10 amp fuse. In the process, I decided to convert the lid to a "usually closed" configuration from a "usually open config." Did this by cutting a snug rectangular hole that appears to seal up, mostly, around the USB lead for my phone.

Flips open easy for access to the 12v cig lighter socket... relocated to be able to see both my key and left turnsignal indicator that was previously blocked by my hurried install.

Next, the Scott Oiler X-System went on reasonably easily. This is the electronic one that does not have the thingy that needs to mount to the handle-bars. Installed it on RH side by pannier mount. Routed the hose down through the swingarm and out the bottom plug. Made minor "X" incisions in the rubber plugs to accommodate the hose with minimum water invasion. Hint: Don't push one of the plugs inside the swingarm during the removal process; retreiving it will be the longest part of the install!

I installed the "Scorpion" dual tip injector, just touching both sides of the rear sprocket. Attached it to the sharkfin chain protector: measure once, drill twice is my motto!

Burned far too much energy worrying about the oiler drawing too much current in storage, so wired it to a switched location on the PC8. After the first ride, I decided that I would quit worrying and mount it to the always hot location, since the chances of me remembering to turn it on, every ride, are slim to none.

Oiler attached to Touratech pannier mount.

Scorpion tail seen from inside side of sprocket.

The next item on the list was to get the heated grips installed in time for the Arizona summer (or maybe a ride up north.)

I went with the Koso Apollo grips, mostly since I decided I liked their switch. Install was pretty easy, old grips came off with a squirt or two of compressed air. New ones slid on with a generous application of rubbing alcohol. No glue required, pretty tight fit.

Some trimming on the throttle grip was required, since Honda decided to pin the controls in place, and I wanted to keep my favorite Kaoko cruise control in place with the Barkbusters. I think it turned out ok. Heats up nice.

Was a bit annoyed on start up, since Koso missed a crimp on one of the connector terminals for the throttle side grip. Had to pull the connector apart and solder one of the wires in place, since they crimped the terminal without the wire being in place.

After all that fun, the last detail was to install the Camel Pro windshield brace. Maybe an unnecessary bit of weight, but decided that I will likely mount a GPS at some point, so decided to put the brace on. Easy install, was able to get the bottom bolts in without removing the headlight grommets (45 deg needle nose pliers.)

Sorry, didn't shoot a picture, but you probably know what they look like!

Called it a day, and emptied the cabinet. Next, I think I will order and adapt the Bumot tool box to my Touratech panniers: space inside the left pannier, above chain guard.

Bumot Tool Box

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Comprehensive Beowulf.

I wonder if anyone unhooks the Honda supplied helmet cable?

Alternative, Tutoro auto chain oiler does not need an electrical connection (FYI only). Usually one to two thousand kilometers per refill, depending on your riding need.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How is the Scottoiler working for you?
Dudley
i have the e-scottoiler in few bikes (also on both CRF) with the double (or skorpion) injector it works really well , even in this days with lot of salt on the streets

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have the e-scottoiler in few bikes (also on both CRF) with the double (or skorpion) injector it works really well , even in this days with lot of salt on the streets
I have the old style on one bike, still working after all these years. I got over 30000 miles and the chain and sprokets looked almost perfect.
The new X looks like a simple install.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the Scottoiler working for you?
Dudley
I like it pretty well. My only gripe is that the resevoir is vertical two pieces, glued together. My first one (installed on the exhaust side) started leaking at the seam. Revzilla waranteed it, without an issue. It was not particularly close to the exhaust, but I don't think the unit likes heat, at all.

I installed the new one on the left side, and so far, so good. The middle setting seems to keep the chain just oily enough, without excess flinging off more than necessary. Surprizingly, in 6,300 miles, the chain has not required any adjustment. I take that as a good sign. Sprockets still look new, but that isn't all that many miles, to make a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts